Post-Game Talk: #4| Pittsburgh Penguins @ New York Islanders | May 22nd | 3:00 PM | F/W 4-1

Bones45

Dec 7, 2005
N/A
This. And has it been mentioned yet that Varlamov just hasn’t played consistently well against Pitt this year. I still remember two goals this year where he just outright fell down (against Crosby) or stumbled (Letang???) trying to make a routine save.

With that said, I don’t fault Trotz going with his vet number one the last two games. As for today… hate to be in his shoes.

As an aside, I would think it awesome if Sorokin just ran with it and cemented his franchise goalie status.

More importantly, how do you think the cup holders will be situated at Belmont?

This shit may need its own thread.

BMOK33

Oct 5, 2005
I know we consider this a "must win", but I wonder if Trotz is thinking he starts Varly one more time. If we lose and go down 3-1, he switches to Sorokin. If he can win in Pitts then you come home for game 6 and a shot to tie the series and he rides Sorokin the rest of the way. If he switches to Sorokin today and we lose, then you go into a true "must win" elimination game and the goalie decision is an issue again. Just thinking out loud. :)

If they lose today they're probably done no matter how it plays out in goal. I would not necessarily be shocked if a game 7 happened or a game 6 if they lost today but they'd need a near miracle to win the series. You see some 3-1 deficits and you say this could have gone either way but to this point in 195 minutes of play in this series I would say the Isles have been the better team for maybe 50-55 minutes.

Riseonfire

Josh Bailey! GAME ONE, TO THE ISLAND!!!
Nov 8, 2009
Gates open at noon right???? I can be a degenerate soon?
7EDB8186-085F-42CA-A809-5AB0CB5605E2.jpeg

#confirmed

Reactions: doublechili

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
I know we consider this a "must win", but I wonder if Trotz is thinking he starts Varly one more time. If we lose and go down 3-1, he switches to Sorokin. If he can win in Pitts then you come home for game 6 and a shot to tie the series and he rides Sorokin the rest of the way. If he switches to Sorokin today and we lose, then you go into a true "must win" elimination game and the goalie decision is an issue again. Just thinking out loud. :)

I don't think it turns into another goalie issue, you just go with Varlamov if Sorokin didn't pay well. Go with what got you here and that's it.

doublechili

For all intensive purposes, your nuts
Apr 11, 2006
Go with what got you here and that's it.
But that's why I'm thinking he doesn't change anything for this game. If they lose today and go down 3-1, in an elimination game he brings in Sorokin and changes up the forwards. I'm not advocating this, but just speculating on a possible Trotz thought process....

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
But that's why I'm thinking he doesn't change anything for this game. If they lose today and go down 3-1, in an elimination game he brings in Sorokin and changes up the forwards. I'm not advocating this, but just speculating on a possible Trotz thought process....

I'd be a little surprised because Sorokin won his game and Varlamov hasn't looked comfortable. I think giving Sorokin another shot now and letting Varlamov getting a few more days rest makes more sense then running Varlamov out there again right now. We'll see though, I think he could go either way and we all know he loves to show faith in his veteran guys.

Big L

Grandpa’s Cough Medicine is 180 Proof
Feb 7, 2013
CT
If they lose today they're probably done no matter how it plays out in goal. I would not necessarily be shocked if a game 7 happened or a game 6 if they lost today but they'd need a near miracle to win the series. You see some 3-1 deficits and you say this could have gone either way but to this point in 195 minutes of play in this series I would say the Isles have been the better team for maybe 50-55 minutes.
I think they’ve only had a lead for 4 minutes.

Finnislander

Nov 3, 2017
Finally evening Isles game for us euros. LetsGoIslanders!
Good warmup for the game was Finland beating Capuano n' the boys in Worlds! Beer and cheap vodka for me. Must win.

CupHolders

Really Fries My Bananas!
Aug 8, 2006
I think they’ve only had a lead for 4 minutes.

That’s another thing that has stood out from two years ago. Isles (due to Eberle) would often respond soon after the Pens scored. Complete opposite this year.

SI90

Jul 25, 2011
StrongIsland
Hate to say it but this is a must win. 3-1 would be a ridiculous hole to climb out of.

need our A game. No stupid penalties. And if we score, don’t give it right back or take a stupid penalty.

Reactions: Thrasymachus

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad