Post-Game Talk: #4| Pittsburgh Penguins @ New York Islanders | May 22nd | 3:00 PM | F/W 4-1

MattMartin

Killer Instinct™
Feb 10, 2007
Long Island
PITTSBURGH PENGUINS AT NEW YORK ISLANDERS

GAME 4: ISLANDERS VS PENGUINS
PITTSBURGH LEADS BEST-OF-SEVEN SERIES 2-1
3 PM | NASSAU COLISEUM
WATCH: NBC | SN | TVA SPORTS | NHL.TV
LISTEN: 88.7FM | 103.9FM

Preview

The comedown from an intense game in any sport weighs on the mind, but settling down after an emotional and strenuous postseason hockey matchup like the one the Islanders endured Thursday night poses a different kind of mental challenge.
The Islanders clawed their way back from a 3-1 deficit heading into the third period, scoring three goals during the final frame and pulling even with the Penguins twice. But Pittsburgh had an answer for each of the Islanders’ game-tying tallies and ultimately took a 2-1 series lead with a 5-4 win at the Coliseum.

It was chippy. It was draining. It was quintessential playoff hockey.
“It’s a roller-coaster of emotions,” Jordan Eberle said Friday, ahead of Game 4 on Saturday. “I mean, you tie it, they score, you tie it again, they score. It hurts a bit. But it’s playoff hockey, there’s going to be highs and lows and the key is to just stay in the moment.

“We had a good day on the ice, regroup and our mindset switched to tomorrow. Now, even up this series"

Head coach Barry Trotz noted after the loss that the Islanders are used to being in uncomfortable situations, but the game got away from them as a result of chasing for 60 minutes, combined with a bit of puck luck for the Penguins

Asked after practice Friday if he felt the nature of the Game 3 loss would be more difficult to overcome, Trotz said he believes the Islanders will embrace the challenge. He added that players yearn to be a part of high-stake games with emotion.

“I think the players, they don’t look back,” he said. “We try not to look back, we try to look forward. There’s a lot of stuff that we’re extremely happy with, there’s other stuff that we have to clean up. There’s two good teams, there’s not much difference. There’s basically one goal in three games that was the difference.”
In this series, the Islanders have only led for a combined 3:42. They haven’t been able to generate momentum from goals, as the Penguins often have waltzed right back to the other end to tie it up or retake the lead.

NJc8nHD.png

Playoff Series History

All Time Record VS Penguins

.........................ALL GAMES...........................................................HOME.............................................................AWAY......................................................PLAYOFFS........................
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
W-L-TWIN%GFPGGAPGW-L-TWIN%GFPGGAPGW-L-TWIN%GFPGGAPGW-L-TWIN%GFPGGAPG
131-142-2248.13.43.577-60-855.93.83.354-82-1440.73.13.718-14-056.33.33.1
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

Possible Starting Goalies:

UKStW76.png

Possible Lineups:

ejOpj7n.png

Team Leaders:

SYLz7kp.png

Game 1 Recap

Islanders vs. Penguins - Game Recap - May 16, 2021 - ESPN

Game 2 Recap

Islanders vs. Penguins - Game Recap - May 18, 2021 - ESPN

Game 3 Recap/Highlights

Penguins vs. Islanders - Game Summary - May 20, 2021 - ESPN

Attachments

• upload_2021-5-21_22-2-30.gif
    upload_2021-5-21_22-2-30.gif
    42 bytes · Views: 2

TheWhiteWhale30

Dec 3, 2007
Sorokin will start. Hopefully that makes the difference. If Isles lose both home games I will be the most disappointed I’ve been in this team in a long time. This series could just as easily be 2-1 isles.

Goaltending must improve and effort needs to remain from game 3, if they can do that then this series will be coming back to LI for game 6.

CREW99AW

Mar 12, 2002
This is a veteran group,so no excuses for the isles in this must win game.

Satan'sIsland81

Feb 9, 2007
If somebody told me that Crosby, Rust and Guentzel would have a combined 2 goals and 1 assist through three games of the series, I would probably have said wow, we must be up 2-1 at least if not 3-0. I cannot believe we are letting ourselves get beat by the likes of Jeff Carter. This guy had essentially been a 15 goal 30 point player for the last 3 years, he comes to the Penguins and now he has 12 goals in 17 games. How does that happen?

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
If somebody told me that Crosby, Rust and Guentzel would have a combined 2 goals and 1 assist through three games of the series, I would probably have said wow, we must be up 2-1 at least if not 3-0. I cannot believe we are letting ourselves get beat by the likes of Jeff Carter. This guy had essentially been a 15 goal 30 point player for the last 3 years, he comes to the Penguins and now he has 12 goals in 17 games. How does that happen?

Jeff Carter is legitimately good and is playing further down the lineup, with better supporting players. Plus, he's on the playoffs for maybe the last time, he's motivated.

Reactions: GrandmaSlices51631

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
You play for a shit team like the Kings the last 3 years and watch YOUR production go down. Carter got traded to a playoff team and found the fountain of youth.

CaptDenisPotvin

The Tampa Bay Astros are your 2021 Champions
Jun 20, 2007
We absolutely need the first goal and for God's sake can we not give one up 2 seconds later this time? 4th line need to start the way they finished last game, Pitt has no answer for that line forechecking. Lets score early and play OUR GAME late.

Sorkin 3-1 win!

Reactions: Tahoeblue

Satan'sIsland81

Feb 9, 2007
We absolutely need the first goal and for God's sake can we not give one up 2 seconds later this time? 4th line need to start the way they finished last game, Pitt has no answer for that line forechecking. Lets score early and play OUR GAME late.

Sorkin 3-1 win!
If Varlamov does start (which I disagree with), if he gives up 1 goal in the first 5 minutes or anything more than 1 goal in the whole first period, he should be gone, end of story, I dont care how or why the goals happened. We cannot allow this guy to put us behind the 8-ball before the first period is out for the third straight game.

Satan'sIsland81

Feb 9, 2007
Jeff Carter is legitimately good and is playing further down the lineup, with better supporting players. Plus, he's on the playoffs for maybe the last time, he's motivated.
I could have sworn most of this board has been talking about how "done" he is in many various conversations over the past few years. Now suddenly he, at 36, is "legitimately good" again?

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
Isles can continue to wear down the Pens with their forecheck. I would not be adversed in icing the same line up with only Sorokin in as a change. Keep laying on the body, the Pens will slow down deeper in the series. I can already see this happening in the 3rd last game, just didn't get the result.

Reactions: SI

Satan'sIsland81

Feb 9, 2007
Isles can continue to wear down the Pens with their forecheck. I would not be adversed in icing the same line up with only Sorokin in as a change. Keep laying on the body, the Pens will slow down deeper in the series. I can already see this happening in the 3rd last game, just didn't get the result.
I agree with your whole post until the very last word. Change "result" to "goaltending" and you are 100% correct.

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
I could have sworn most of this board has been talking about how "done" he is in many various conversations over the past few years. Now suddenly he, at 36, is "legitimately good" again?
He's always been a talented player. He's slowed but Pittsburgh is fast enough to help him out and ensure he doesn't have to do it all alone. Playing behind Crosby certainly helps.

I've always been a fan of Carter, but I also think he fits nicely with the Penguins moreso than he would here.

xECK29x

Sponsor
Jul 19, 2006
Deer Park, NY
What a shit show my friend and I went through with Stubhub and the team last night. My friend isn't fully vaccinated (will be as of Tuesday) and we got tickets that according to Stubhub were socially distanced but the team messed up and that mislabeled the section on the teams site, it was vaccination required. Luckily we were able to get refunded in full and around 11 last night two much better tickets popped up and we were able to get them.

Reactions: PK Cronin

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
If Varlamov does start (which I disagree with), if he gives up 1 goal in the first 5 minutes or anything more than 1 goal in the whole first period, he should be gone, end of story, I dont care how or why the goals happened. We cannot allow this guy to put us behind the 8-ball before the first period is out for the third straight game.

I think if you have a leash like that there's no sense in starting him. We're not a team that relies only on one goaltender like some other teams around the league, just go with Sorokin and be done. If you start Varlamov he needs to have some rope I think.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad