Post-Game Talk: #4| Pittsburgh Penguins @ New York Islanders | May 22nd | 3:00 PM | F/W 4-1

CREW99AW

Mar 12, 2002
The excuse is we have a lousy set of wings I'm afraid.
The same group of wings who made it to the ELC last yr + Palms/Zajac for added depth.

This is not a young group, taking on their growing pains. The next cap crunch means shedding some vets,so I am hoping for another deep run before we get to that point.

CREW99AW

Mar 12, 2002
I could have sworn most of this board has been talking about how "done" he is in many various conversations over the past few years. Now suddenly he, at 36, is "legitimately good" again?
Was the argument that he was done?
I thought it was that he wasn't worth his long-term $5m+ caphit, for what he was bringing to the King's lineup.

Big L

Grandpa’s Cough Medicine is 180 Proof
Feb 7, 2013
CT
Gotta start strong, don’t use the first period as a warmup. Then also have to finish strong and don’t let up. Cliche but have to play a full 60 mins

Reactions: Tres Peleches

YearlyLottery

The Pooch Report
Feb 7, 2013
South Carolina
I could have sworn most of this board has been talking about how "done" he is in many various conversations over the past few years. Now suddenly he, at 36, is "legitimately good" again?

Sometimes a change of scenery to a contender will do that to a player.

Anyway you go Sorokin tonight. The decision to go back to Varly after game 1 was the incorrect decision. The question now is whether or not it is too late to right the ship. Guess we will find out today.

BMOK33

Oct 5, 2005

Anyway you go Sorokin tonight. The decision to go back to Varly after game 1 was the incorrect decision. The question now is whether or not it is too late to right the ship. Guess we will find out today.

He's probably just hot at the right time. I compared this Carter run to what Primeau did for Philly in 04 the last month of the season and the playoffs and he promptly disappeared again the next season. I would expect someone will end up giving Carter a stupid 3 year del this summer as a result. I don't know though if he would be able to sustain this sort of production against Boston or Carolina though

Reactions: YearlyLottery

Satan'sIsland81

Feb 9, 2007

Again, I am not saying I disagree with you guys. I think we are all on the same page. But history shows that every time we mostly agree on here about something Trotz does the opposite. Can you deny this?

Reactions: YearlyLottery

JKP

Sep 19, 2004
Halifax, NS
I’m fine with either goalie unless Varley is ailing a bit still. If he’s healthy, he’ll bounce back. He hasn’t had a string of bad games since he’s been here. I have complete faith in both our keepers.

BMOK33

Oct 5, 2005
I feel at the end of the day the goalie won't be a factor. This game will get won 2-0 or 3-1 by somebody with the losing team probably getting little as far as high danger scoring chances. At the end of the day the loser will blame the offense and the winner will praise the goalie.

BMOK33

Oct 5, 2005
You keep thinking people on a message board know as much as Trotz for some reason. That's a you problem.

Trotz I think went away from Sorokin because he saw exactly what I did in game 1. He was nearly beat 4-5 times from bad angles and the Pens were clearly shooting at him on purpose from terrible angles, even when they had other options to take higher danger shots. He probably felt eventually that was going to be a problem and Varlamov was the more proven goalie. I would be surprised though at this stage if he goes anywhere near Varlamov the rest of this series unless Sorokin just implodes today or gets hurt. I would be like 95 out of 100 Sorokin is starting. Varlamov has long been a streaky goalie whereby when he hits a rough patch he can be bad for awhile

CupHolders

Really Fries My Bananas!
Aug 8, 2006
Trotz I think went away from Sorokin because he saw exactly what I did in game 1. He was nearly beat 4-5 times from bad angles and the Pens were clearly shooting at him on purpose from terrible angles, even when they had other options to take higher danger shots. He probably felt eventually that was going to be a problem and Varlamov was the more proven goalie. I would be surprised though at this stage if he goes anywhere near Varlamov the rest of this series unless Sorokin just implodes today or gets hurt. I would be like 95 out of 100 Sorokin is starting. Varlamov has long been a streaky goalie whereby when he hits a rough patch he can be bad for awhile

This. And has it been mentioned yet that Varlamov just hasn’t played consistently well against Pitt this year. I still remember two goals this year where he just outright fell down (against Crosby) or stumbled (Letang???) trying to make a routine save.

With that said, I don’t fault Trotz going with his vet number one the last two games. As for today… hate to be in his shoes.

As an aside, I would think it awesome if Sorokin just ran with it and cemented his franchise goalie status.

doublechili

For all intensive purposes, your nuts
Apr 11, 2006
I know we consider this a "must win", but I wonder if Trotz is thinking he starts Varly one more time. If we lose and go down 3-1, he switches to Sorokin. If he can win in Pitts then you come home for game 6 and a shot to tie the series and he rides Sorokin the rest of the way. If he switches to Sorokin today and we lose, then you go into a true "must win" elimination game and the goalie decision is an issue again. Just thinking out loud. :)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad