#4 is available will Mo Riels snap it up?

ConnorTO

Jul 20, 2010
Toronto
hqdefault.jpg

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
I'd like to see Mo Rielly with Number 4. But players are often superstitious...

Longshot

Jul 2, 2008
Ontario, Canada
Is this an official rule?

I think it is. I can't find anything online (kind of a weird thing to google). But I remember reading something about it a couple of years ago. Once a player selects a number he has to wear that number the remainder of the season. It has a lot to do with the NHL's merchandise business (the online component is centralized through the league).

Rayzorexe

Meh..
Dec 29, 2009
Toronto, ON
I think it is. I can't find anything online (kind of a weird thing to google). But I remember reading something about it a couple of years ago. Once a player selects a number he has to wear that number the remainder of the season. It has a lot to do with the NHL's merchandise business (the online component is centralized through the league).

That was because of the Winter Classic and Aldredsson is a featured player in it. We're near the end of the season and the Leafs are no where near the playoffs.

Pierre Dagenais

pissening
Jan 10, 2007
montreal

Not true.

Gallagher switched from 73 to 11 when Ryder was traded to the Habs in 2012.

O'Byrne also switched his number from 3 to 20 when Montreal retired Emile Bouchard's number.

Longshot

Jul 2, 2008
Ontario, Canada
Nothing in the CBA mentions about mid-season jersey number change as far as I browsed.

The reason why Cleary could get his #11 back from Aldredsson a couple of years ago was because of marketing issues with the fact his jersey was already produced with #11 for the Winter Classic.
http://prohockeytalk.nbcsports.com/...eary-wont-get-his-no-11-back-from-alfredsson/

Like I said, I could be wrong, but I do remember reading something in recent years about the NHL putting in place a policy that doesn't allow players to switch uniform numbers during the season (except in the event of a trade) - meaning Dion Phaneuf can't come off IR wearing #33.

I'm 40 now, so maybe my memory is bad, but I even remember a story around Kadri on the issue. During the lock out shortened season he became a regular NHLer wearing #43 and some suggested now that he was in the league to stay he have a more "normal" (higher numbers were often assigned to players coming up from the minors for short term fill-ins) sweater number and the response was that he wasn't allowed to switch mid-season by league rule.

I don't remember the Cleary Alfredsson thing.

officialmark*

Please take 4, I hate these 40-60 numbers, they look awful on jerseys. Kadri should be 9, or 91.

Longshot

Jul 2, 2008
Ontario, Canada
Not true.

Gallagher switched from 73 to 11 when Ryder was traded to the Habs in 2012.

O'Byrne also switched his number from 3 to 20 when Montreal retired Emile Bouchard's number.

What I remember might have happened after those, but like I said, I'm going by memory and could be completely wrong.

It's also possible the story was the league mandating that players and teams get permission to switch jersey numbers in order to take out the: "I'm in a slump and want to switch jersey numbers" aspect of it - meaning Montreal was given permission after getting Ryder.

The only reason it rings a bell with me, was I thought switching jersey numbers would be eliminated from video games as a result. I can remember thinking: "That sucks, hope video games still let you do it." lol

one77

Dec 22, 2013
I hope so! #4 would look real nice on Rielly, pretty sure that's been his number since before coming to the Leafs.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad