Post-Game Talk: 4 Goals because We Can't Cover a Man - Detroit 5-Leafs 4

Status
Not open for further replies.

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
The only way this team is going to taste some success if we run:

JVR-Holland-Kessel (offensive minded players)
Lupul-Kadri-Raymond (offensive minded players)
Kulemin-Bozak-Bolland (Beast shutdown line)
Orr/McLaren/Bodie/Damigo - JMc - Clarkson (semi-shutdown line with no goons depending on we play against)

Gunnar-Dion
Gards-Franson
Liles-Reilly

1st PP unit:

JVR-Bolland/Holland-Kessel

Reilly/Gard - Dion

2nd PP unit:

Lupul-Kadri-Raymond (worked pretty well while that scrub Clarkson was out for 10 games)

Gards/Reilly - Franson

According to Carlyle Kadri isn't ready for the role you are trying to force him into.

I thought you had to earn the job with the Leafs today? The country club, entitlement is supposed to be a thing of the past.

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
I don't think we were watching the same game. The Leafs showed up for one period, the Wings showed up for two. They had a ton of scoring chances. When they went down by one toward the end of the third period they had three huge chances within a span of 3 minutes including a shorthanded breakaway for Datsyuk and of course tied it. And then continued to press while the Leafs stood around helplessly like they so often do.

They outchanced the Leafs, outshot the Leafs, outskated the Leafs. 38-23 were the shots, and shot attempts were even worse. I don't think you really understand what you're watching.

I agree.

Gustavsson isn't a good goalie, although he made a few big stops, he also let him a couple that were odorous.

Duffman955

Mar 4, 2010
This team needs serious changes before becoming cup contender.

The way they play the game is all wrong. terrible neutral zone coverage, awful boardwork, inability to make crisp passes out of the zone, terrible positioning, lack of effort.

Not sure if a coaching change would even help.

bunjay

Nov 9, 2008
I agree.

Gustavsson isn't a good goalie, although he made a few big stops, he also let him a couple that were odorous.

He let in as many that he'd like back as Reimer, and made fewer many big than Bernier. THe mid-air stick save was astounding but it was one save. Goaltending was a wash last night, it just took the Leafs two goalies to get it to that point. But the effort and organization was extremely lopsided.

If anything I felt like the Leafs were lucky to score like they did and that game could have easily been a blowout. That's why I think they were fortunate to come away with the loser point. I don't like shootouts counting in the standings, but the way it went was reflective of the game overall.

ThrillinPhil

Tdot.
Jan 9, 2011
Look at this sched, all winnable games. TBH We arent a playoff team if the Leafs cant win the majority of these games, Hoping they go 6-1. I think we could win all of these for the exception of the Buffalo game :P

MON, 23 DEC 2013 MAPLE LEAFS RANGERS
FRI, 27 DEC 2013 SABRES MAPLE LEAFS
SUN, 29 DEC 2013 HURRICANES MAPLE LEAFS
WED, 1 JAN 2014 MAPLE LEAFS RED WINGS
SAT, 4 JAN 2014 RANGERS MAPLE LEAFS
TUE, 7 JAN 2014 ISLANDERS MAPLE LEAFS
THU, 9 JAN 2014 MAPLE LEAFS HURRICANES

DaveT83*

Look at this sched, all winnable games. TBH We arent a playoff team if the Leafs cant win the majority of these games, Hoping they go 6-1. I think we could win all of these for the exception of the Buffalo game :P

Ya I have no faith in them to win more than 2 of those games. Even that's me being overly optimistic. The Leafs are quickly becoming a bottom 3 team in all of NHL.

Green Snow Storm

Jul 22, 2009
Canada
This team needs serious changes before becoming cup contender.

The way they play the game is all wrong. terrible neutral zone coverage, awful boardwork, inability to make crisp passes out of the zone, terrible positioning, lack of effort.

Not sure if a coaching change would even help.
Their d zone coverage is atrocious outside of the Phaneuf Gunnarsson pairing. Sad times.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board

Leafs have 3 regulation wins in the past 25+ games. They're saved only because of a SO wins and not team play.

Leafs have already lost 2 X to Buffalo and Carolina earlier in the year, so with this team there simply are not many guarantees.

Jacquestrapless

Jun 5, 2011
Mississauga
First line is sucking hard offensively and defensively. Holland should be up there. Kadri on 2nd line. Defensive assignments are being missed by all. I notice that every time in our own end, a defenceman throws the puck around the boards to the other side, none of our players are there and ends up getting picked off by the opposing side. You think a guy like kessel, who's already floating could just stay there and wait for it.

hockeyes

Jun 15, 2013
Gardiner needs to take some tips from 19 year old Rielly on how to be a more effective rover defenseman.

You mean how to make picture perfect passes to the opposing team a few times per game?

Rielly will be very good, no doubt, but he makes a huge amount of mistakes each game, against weaker competition than the other D as well. Lets not pretend he has climbed the depth chart beyond Ranger/Fraser and potentially Liles. Other than that, the other defense are certainly better all round at this point, which is to be expected as he is a 19 year old rookie.

The real problem with the defense though is the wingers. They never pressure the point and make very little effort to be open for a pass.

Last night, Gardiner was trying to make a pass up and had to turn back because all the forwards were way up ice and not open. He goes behind the net to give them time to get open and he comes out again, except now the forwards are changing and he has to kill yet more time.

That is not how you setup a fragile defense to succeed and IMO this falls purely on Carlyle and what he is telling the wingers to do. Otherwise we have the most incompetent wingers in the NHL if they are consistently in a bad position while being told differently.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
Smithson calling out Kadri - accidentally.

http://www.tsn.ca/toronto/blogs/jonas_siegel/?id=439591

Carlyle suggest Kadri is not a top 6 forward

And this is why Bozak who is really a young player when you consider this is only into his 4th NHL season gets a bad rap here.

He by default has had to play with Kessel, who often leaves Bozie left to defend so their plus minuses don't balloon like they have with Kadri, and most importantly by playing with Kessel, he is facing the top shut down pair defence since he has basically come into the NHL.

We have read all the comments about him being a passenger on the Kessel line, fact is as Kadri is finding out, it isn't that easy playing with Kessel and JVR.

Grabovski who is often mistakenly linked with Bozak often had it easy here, facing lesser defensive pairings and the most all he could be, was to be a 50-55 point center in a leaky system. Bozak has never had the 2nd and 3rd pairing defences to play against, he has always been part of a line that other teams focus on. Given the reality of this, I think he has done well being our #1C where he basically was thrown into the league from U of Denver.

When he was in the line up this year, it looked like he was going to have a career year, 11 points 16 games, +5. He and Bolland are our best all around centres at them moment. This is not to say Kadri won't be there one day, he just isn't there yet.

KapG

Dec 2, 2008
Toronto
The only way this team is going to taste some success if we run:

JVR-Holland-Kessel (offensive minded players)
Lupul-Kadri-Raymond (offensive minded players)
Kulemin-Bozak-Bolland (Beast shutdown line)
Orr/McLaren/Bodie/Damigo - JMc - Clarkson (semi-shutdown line with no goons depending on we play against)

Gunnar-Dion
Gards-Franson
Liles-Reilly

1st PP unit:

JVR-Bolland/Holland-Kessel

Reilly/Gard - Dion

2nd PP unit:

Lupul-Kadri-Raymond (worked pretty well while that scrub Clarkson was out for 10 games)

Gards/Reilly - Franson

Lol.....

daveleaf

#FIREKEEFE #MIGHTBETIMETOFIRESHANNYTOO
Mar 23, 2010
Canada
I get a kick out of some things.

Kadri is to blame because Liles rimmed the puck and Kessel can't clear the zone and the d left a man in front alone?

Coach should be fired because he is doing a poor job? Was it his fault that Gunnar and Gardiner played like ****? Is it his fault with all the injuries?

I think this team needs a shakeup, a d-man they can count on to burn through a lot of minutes, they also need the forwards to grow some balls. When Holland is one of your better forwards night in and night out you have some issues.

leafstilldeath*

According to Carlyle Kadri isn't ready for the role you are trying to force him into.

I thought you had to earn the job with the Leafs today? The country club, entitlement is supposed to be a thing of the past.

Kadri as a 2C and a 2nd PP unit C isn't good? If not then he has no place on this team. I think Kadri is a 2c and a good 2nd unit PP Center.

As for "entitlement". What had Clarkson done for him to play on the 2nd line?

What had Bozak done for him to play on the 1st line? or 1st PP unit?

What had Ranger or Fraser done for the to keep on playing over Reilly?

NOW, when bozo returns do we hav enough cap space to let Liles play?

As I had stated in my previous post. Unless they run with thise lines I do not see a good fortune for us in the near future

Durkin67

#Firecarlyle

Bad caching cost the Leafs the game.

Bad defensive coverage and shoddy goaltending cost them the game. The coaches' decision to change goalies gave them a point. I didnt like Carlyle's decision to deploy the top line which led to DET's tying goal. I think he should have stayed with the forecheckers and grinders who got them back into it.

DaveT83*

I really hate the idea that there has been a constant game of musical chairs played around finding the perfect line mates for Phil Kessel.

Forget shuffling the decks every season because player x,y,z don't fit with Phil Kessel and just ****ing trade him for gods sake.

number72

Oct 9, 2011
I really hate the idea that there has been a constant game of musical chairs played around finding the perfect line mates for Phil Kessel.

Forget shuffling the decks every season because player x,y,z don't fit with Phil Kessel and just ****ing trade him for gods sake.

You are hitting them out of the park today. Kessel requires team mates who are physical and who are defensively responsible as well as those he has chemistry with. Good luck finding a big skilled Getzlaf like center to clean up all of Kessel's messes and play physical to compensate for all of Kessel's weaknesses.

That is why we have to play Kessel with Bozak, a poor man's Getzlaf with no shoes and who hasn't taken a bath in year. That is, Kessel massive 8M salary means we can't sign or trade for a physical or even skilled two way center. But we need to employ a cheaper model named Blowzak. As we have seen, a small defensively weak center like Kadri does not work.

TmlHockeyFan

Jul 19, 2012
Toronto
You are hitting them out of the park today. Kessel requires team mates who are physical and who are defensively responsible as well as those he has chemistry with. Good luck finding a big skilled Getzlaf like center to clean up all of Kessel's messes and play physical to compensate for all of Kessel's weaknesses.

That is why we have to play Kessel with Bozak, a poor man's Getzlaf with no shoes and who hasn't taken a bath in year. That is, Kessel massive 8M salary means we can't sign or trade for a physical or even skilled two way center. But we need to employ a cheaper model named Blowzak. As we have seen, a small defensively weak center like Kadri does not work.

Kessel for Perry.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Lecce vs Udinese
    Lecce vs Udinese
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $100.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Czechia vs Switzerland