Post-Game Talk: 4 Goals because We Can't Cover a Man - Detroit 5-Leafs 4

Status
Not open for further replies.

diceman934

Help is on the way.
Jul 31, 2010
NHL player factory
Idk why he didn't just say that in the locker room. It was so obvious someone would catch that while still in the building.

Last parting shot at Reimer? lol.

He wanted to give Bernier time to stretch and prepare as he has a slight groin pull and needed the time.

Carlyle likely would not go directly into dressing room, he would likely not go into until the last 5-7 minutes of the intermission.

I Am The Stig

SPACESHIP!!
Oct 19, 2011
He wanted to give Bernier time to stretch and prepare as he has a slight groin pull and needed the time.

Carlyle likely would not go directly into dressing room, he would likely not go into until the last 5-7 minutes of the intermission.

That's true, I forgot that the coaches usually don't go straight into the dressing room.

kihei

McEnroe: The older I get, the better I used to be.
Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
Reimer, Kadri, Gardiner

These are not Carlyle players, just like MacArthur and Grabovski.
I don't see the point of this. First, Carlyle seems to be giving Gardiner more and more responsibility as evidenced by his increasing ice time (now second only to Phaneuf, I believe), plus what is the point of trading away two of our few really promising young players in the hope that more will somehow magically appear out of the blue, who will then take additional years to develop. If Carlyle doesn't like the hand he's dealt and thinks he is unable to make a contending team out of it, maybe we need a new coach who will adjust to the talent rather than the other way around.

Ratboy

I made a funny!
Jul 15, 2009
I don't see the point of this. First, Carlyle seems to be giving Gardiner more and more responsibility as evidenced by his increasing ice time (now second only to Phaneuf, I believe), plus what is the point of trading away two of our few really promising young players in the hope that more will somehow magically appear out of the blue, who will then take additional years to develop. If Carlyle doesn't like the hand he's dealt and thinks he is unable to make a contending team out of it, maybe we need a new coach who will adjust to the talent rather than the other way around.

that's the way it has to be, especially while its so hard to make trades.

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site

You think Nonis bought out Grabovski without imput from Carlyle?

Carlyle bought out Grabovski, Nonis just did the paperwork.

goonx

Nov 7, 2010
Yes, I know the trade freeze is on. He needs to FIND the right deal before all hope of a playoff position is GONE! We've needed D since the beginning of the season. This is not a new problem that just came up last week!

Ppl asking for immediate help is stupid. Were going to get bad deals for knee jerk trades

KingBilly

Oct 18, 2008
Kessel picks his spots exactly like Patrick Kane does. Both score 30-ish, plus, goals a year. Kane is having a career season. Both avoid big hits. Both don't fight very well along the boards. And what makes them worthwhile is they score 30-ish goals a season.

Chicago has Toews and Keith to round out the line-up. Kane is able to be a supporting player. In Toronto it's all on Kessel to score the goals. Who else?

Duffman955

Mar 4, 2010
This team has 1 defenseman (Phaneuf). This team has no leadership.

We need 4 defensemen, and veteran leadership.

Reilly needs to be in the minors and the rest of the defensemen need to be gone. No one looks like they have a clue outside of Phaneuf.

Wendigo

Nov 27, 2013
Well simply put, we ain't gonna' win the cup this year unless a miracle ensues.

Reading the posts tonight there's a lot of ideas put forth about where the problem lies among the players. And I offer my thoughts on this matter if I may; I find point form is a great way to summarize thinking:

1. The Leafs are a young team - any talk about trading Gardiner, Riley, or Kadri is akin to discussions of trading 2 Karlssons and a poor man's Gilmour (a poor man's Gilmour is still damn good).

2. Reimer is being constantly hung out to dry. 3 Goals allowed in the paint. Carlisle's defense is supposedly about keeping shots to the outside. This is a big fail for the system, NOT THE GOALTENDER. By the way, Reimer has a better win/loss ratio and a better save % than Bernier and has played more NHL games. Get something in return while his stock is still worth something.

3. Trade Reimer - he'll win a Vezina somewhere else. He's not technically pristine but he's a fighter a la Tim Thomas. But he'll lose his career in Toronto at this pace. Calgary is a good fit.

4. People need to redefine their expectations from Kessel. He's didn't get his contract to be the leader, he's there to create offense in the purest sense. We need a centre that can create space. He's the reason Toronto's powerplay is 4th in the league. Create space for Kessel, and you'll see him excel

5. Why on earth did Nonis buy out Grabovski? Last season, a shortage down the middle already existed yet Nonis made us more short. It's not a question of Grabo vs. Bozak; it's a question of, Why not Both? Coaching preferences? See No. 6.

6. In the Market Cap NHL, teams can't be built around coaches--quite the opposite. Coaches need to adapt to the players they have. I personally believe this is where coaches like Carlyle (i.e. so-called "old-school") sometimes just don't get it. Because of this, coaching changes should not be considered radical. Look at Philly--on T.O.'s heels.

7. Clarkson should kick his agent in the nuts or give him a kiss on the lips: 5.2M for a checking forward? I've not doubt he'll find his stride, but this is by far an egregious oversestimation of a evaluating an "intangible." So where does the blame go? Well...would you turn that money down to play on the Toronto Maple Leafs? Of course not...so who brokered this deal? Nonis. Overthinking the play...ask yourself if we'd have had more wins with Komarov this season or Clarkson? And to flip the coin--NJ would have likely had more wins had Clarkson stayed with his teammates. I don't blame Clarkson one bit--in fact I think he'll come around. But this year Leafs expect a winning team--not another development program.

8. Trade no youth. Leaf fans have to accept that we may just be a rebuild. Sort of like Edmonton only our middle of the road standings and years with the woeful John Ferguson and sadly the Kessel trade -sigh- didn't offer us the highest draft picks during our sad sack decade that was 2000-2010 (and before and now beyond). Yet the highlights are this: all legitimate NHL'er's: Kadri, Gardiner, Reilly. Imagine these guys in 4-5 years. If you trade them now, they'll fill our nets with pucks.

Mikeyg

Dec 26, 2011
3. Trade Reimer - he'll win a Vezina somewhere else. He's not technically pristine but he's a fighter a la Tim Thomas. But he'll lose his career in Toronto at this pace. Calgary is a good fit.

5. Why on earth did Nonis buy out Grabovski? Last season, a shortage down the middle already existed yet Nonis made us more short. It's not a question of Grabo vs. Bozak; it's a question of, Why not Both? Coaching preferences? See No. 6.

LOL at 3 and 5, idk which one to shut down first

gotta start with 5 though, bozak didnt kick grabo off the team, kadri did by outplaying him, this team has no room for 5.5 more million

number 3, tim thomas is in another league in terms of scramblers, a prime aged timmy t is much better then reimer... they arent even close really... Reimer is certainly not a vezina goalie either... come on man most of this stuff is nuts here

diceman934

Help is on the way.
Jul 31, 2010
NHL player factory
This team has 1 defenseman (Phaneuf). This team has no leadership.

We need 4 defensemen, and veteran leadership.

Reilly needs to be in the minors and the rest of the defensemen need to be gone. No one looks like they have a clue outside of Phaneuf.

Rielly .....not Reilly.....can not be sent to the minors. He would have to be sent back to Jr hockey.....and I disagree.

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
That is so great....and so unbearably sad at the same time.

i know.
i'm writing the loose-leafs for today and i'm like... it is disgustingly sad your best players are

A 19 year old rookie
Jerry D'Amigo
and Peter Holland who hasn't even been here that long

with a pinch or two of supporting players.

hockeywiz542

May 26, 2008
where's the reimer dirty look gif?

vAL875q.jpg

YY2WC9r.jpg

Bedards Dad

I was in the pool!!
Nov 3, 2011
Toronto
From someone who was game, what a ****ing game !!! so entertaining, such a blast, sucks we lost, but entertainment value through the roof

hockeywiz542

May 26, 2008
http://ca.sports.yahoo.com/news/maple-leafs-39-reimer-unhappy-being-pulled-game-051750287--nhl.html

TORONTO - Randy Carlyle didn't like what he saw from goaltender James Reimer, so the hook came as he was walking off the bench at the first intermission.

The Toronto Maple Leafs coach tapped Jonathan Bernier and said simply: "You're going in." Reimer had given up three goals on 12 shots to the Detroit Red Wings, partially the product of him but also his teammates making a handful of blunders.

Reimer wasn't happy about being pulled. He would have liked to be able to play through.

"You want that chance to get in there and fight and battle for your teammates and try and get a win," he said. "But obviously Randy had other thoughts, and he's the coach and he's the one who makes those decisions. I just try and stop pucks."

In Carlyle's estimation, Reimer did not do a good enough job of that, specifically on Joakim Andersson's wrap-around goal that went in off his stick and then on Tomas Jurco's that snuck in to make it 3-1 Detroit.

The concern for Carlyle began when the Red Wings' first shot on Reimer got into and out of his glove.

"I thought the rebounds were bouncing away from him," the Leafs' coach said after the 5-4 shootout loss. "When a goaltender is in the zone, pucks usually don't go through him, and their third goal went through him. ...

"When you do that you do that not based upon not specifically the individual that's getting pulled. You do it for your team that somehow you can get a spark for your team, and I thought Bernier came in and did that for us."

Reimer didn't get an explanation from Carlyle after being yanked for the fourth time this season, not counting Oct. 17 against Carolina when he left with an injury.

hockeywiz542

May 26, 2008
http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/24-7/reimer-unhappy-after-getting-pulled-vs-wings/

TORONTO – It was one of those times where a picture really was worth a thousand words. In this case it was a moving picture and the subject was Toronto Maple Leafs goalie James Reimer, who was clearly upset about getting yanked from Saturday’s game against the Detroit Red Wings.

The eagle-eyed producers of “Hockey Night in Canada” spotted the sour gaze Reimer seemed to direct at coach Randy Carlyle before the second period and anyone who watched the broadcast saw it replayed on a couple occasions.

Viewed in isolation, it’s the sort of thing that might make Reimer look fed up. At the very least, it appeared to hint at conflict. But when Reimer stood in front of a handful of reporters after what became a 5-4 shootout loss to Detroit there was no further evidence to support either hypothesis.

In fact, the only small trace of any possible tension came when Reimer was asked if Carlyle’s leash has been too short for him this season and he diplomatically replied: “I don’t know if I really want to get into that.”

“Obviously, I didn’t want to get pulled,” he added. “You know, that’s the last thing I wanted, I wanted to hang in there. But that’s Randy’s decision and I respect what he decides.

“I may not like it, but that’s irrelevant. He’s the one who makes those decisions.”

Reimer himself said he was “100 percent” to blame for Joakim Andersson’s wraparound that deflected in off his stick to make it 2-1 and there’s no question that Tomas Jurco should have been better covered when he got in alone and squeaked a backhander through Reimer.

Immediately after the horn sounded to end the period, Carlyle told Bernier to be ready to start the second. The coach hadn’t liked what he saw from anyone and was looking for a response.

“I thought the rebounds were bouncing away from (Reimer),” he explained. “When a goaltender is in the zone, pucks usually don’t go through him, and their third goal went through him. I felt that the wraparound goal was a stoppable wraparound. So I made the decision … I was going to put Bernier in.

“When you do that you do that not based upon specifically the individual that’s getting pulled. You do it for your team that somehow you can get a spark for your team, and I thought Bernier came in and did that for us.”

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad