Markstrom
Wolf
Samsonov

Plus an extra first and 2 seconds.

Last edited:

MakeCgyGreatAgain

Feb 3, 2003
Calgary, AB
So you waiving Vladar? Flames don’t need all these cap dumps and retaining on players without being compensated. That Leafs trade is absolutely brutal for Calgary. Taking a cap dump and retaining and not getting full value for Tanev. You must value Liljegren more than most people. He reminds me a lot of Valimaki who was waived last year. He also did not look great the other night during the game against the Flames. I’d much rather have a 1st round pick for Tanev. I don’t think selling low on Mangi is a smart move. You’re bringing in some dead weight in Goodrow to take up roster spots from younger guys. Not interested in Faska either. He’s pretty much a role player. We got enough guys like him who are trying to establish themselves and earn a roster spot.

Reactions: wetcoast and Nanuuk

RasmusAndersson

Oct 19, 2013
So you waiving Vladar? Flames don’t need all these cap dumps and retaining on players without being compensated. That Leafs trade is absolutely brutal for Calgary. Taking a cap dump and retaining and not getting full value for Tanev. You must value Liljegren more than most people. He reminds me a lot of Valimaki who was waived last year. He also did not look great the other night during the game against the Flames. I’d much rather have a 1st round pick for Tanev. I don’t think selling low on Mangi is a smart move. You’re bringing in some dead weight in Goodrow to take up roster spots from younger guys. Not interested in Faska either. He’s pretty much a role player. We got enough guys like him who are trying to establish themselves and earn a roster spot.
I agree that Faksa and Goodrow are nothing more than cap dumps, but taking on their contracts is what will allow us to maximize the return. I think we are being compensated for taking on these contracts based on the quality of prospect coming our way. For example, Lindholm probably brings us 1st+B prospect, but adding Goodrow allows us to target a better prospect in Othmann. I think this is better value because we have the space and can easily scratch Goodrow/Faksa if need be. Plus I actually think Goodrow would be a very solid 4C for us, which I think we need because we really have nobody in the system made for that role.

Same with taking Faksa to get Bourque from Dallas. I like Bourque a lot as a future playmaking top-6C.

As for Liljegren, I think he is very underrated. Put him in the right system and I see a solid #4 with #3 upside. He’s just 24 and we could sign him to a great value contract. I think you’re lucky if a late first ends up at that level. Probably less than 50% chance. I get why a first may fit our timeline, but I think Liljegren makes a lot of sense there. And I’m happy to just sit Samsonov in the press box if it means adding Liljegren. His deal is up this summer anyway

MakeCgyGreatAgain

Feb 3, 2003
Calgary, AB
I agree that Faksa and Goodrow are nothing more than cap dumps, but taking on their contracts is what will allow us to maximize the return. I think we are being compensated for taking on these contracts based on the quality of prospect coming our way. For example, Lindholm probably brings us 1st+B prospect, but adding Goodrow allows us to target a better prospect in Othmann. I think this is better value because we have the space and can easily scratch Goodrow/Faksa if need be. Plus I actually think Goodrow would be a very solid 4C for us, which I think we need because we really have nobody in the system made for that role.

Same with taking Faksa to get Bourque from Dallas. I like Bourque a lot as a future playmaking top-6C.

As for Liljegren, I think he is very underrated. Put him in the right system and I see a solid #4 with #3 upside. He’s just 24 and we could sign him to a great value contract. I think you’re lucky if a late first ends up at that level. Probably less than 50% chance. I get why a first may fit our timeline, but I think Liljegren makes a lot of sense there. And I’m happy to just sit Samsonov in the press box if it means adding Liljegren. His deal is up this summer anyway
We had to trade a first for a team to take one year of Monahan. I get the Faska and Goodrow have lower cap hits. But Faska has another year and Goodrow is 3 years after this season. Teams would have to pay a hefty price just to get a team to take guys like this. You run out of cap space real quick taking bad contracts like that. Othmann and a late 1st isn’t enough to handcuff this team for 3 and a half years with Goodrow. And the Rangers get our best piece At half price. Cap space is the greatest asset a team can have and you want to have an expensive 4th line holding this team back. Yikes.Liljegren is probably worth around a 2nd round pick at this point. Lots of guys like him have been waived this year. If that’s all we got for Tanev I’d be extremely disappointed. Plus adding Samsonov. Cmon. We traded a 2nd for Curtis Lazar because we felt like he would be better in our system. That ended up being a bad decision. Thats what I see Liljegren being. If he‘s a throw in with a pick ok I can get behind that. But I’d rather give our scouts a chance to pick the right guy.

Last edited:

Dion TheFluff

Jun 22, 2015
We had to trade a first for a team to take one year of Monahan. I get the Faska and Goodrow have lower cap hits. But Faska has another year and Goodrow is 3 years after this season. Teams would have to pay a hefty price just to get a team to take guys like this. You run out of cap space real quick taking bad contracts like that. Othmann and a late 1st isn’t enough to handcuff this team for 3 and a half years with Goodrow. And the Rangers get our best piece At half price. Cap space is the greatest asset a team can have and you want to have an expensive 4th line holding this team back. Yikes.Liljegren is probably worth around a 2nd round pick at this point. Lots of guys like him have been waived this year. If that’s all we got for Tanev I’d be extremely disappointed. Plus adding Samsonov. Cmon. We traded a 2nd for Curtis Lazar because we felt like he would be better in our system. That ended up being a bad decision. Thats what I see Liljegren being. If he‘s a throw in with a pick ok I can get behind that. But I’d rather give our scouts a chance to pick the right guy.
Horrible take. Liljegren has been playing over 19 minutes a night and posting really strong results in those minutes as well. He wouldn't even be close to being a waiver caliber player (that would be more along the lines of a guy like Timmins)

Comparing Liljegren to Lazar is laughable. Lazar was a 4th liner who had 1 point in 33 games at the time you guys traded for him. The two wouldn't even be close to comparables in value.

lionsDen

Hated And Proud
Jan 26, 2022
He’s getting a first. But the additional are going down. As an Avs fan I’m not attaching Ritchie to any hypothetical trade dudes playing lights out….

What’s kadri cost Colorado?

• Haha
Reactions: McJedi

John Mandalorian

2022 Avs: The First Dance
Nov 29, 2018
He’s getting a first. But the additional are going down. As an Avs fan I’m not attaching Ritchie to any hypothetical trade dudes playing lights out….

Colorado wasn’t even mentioned in the OP.

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA
To DAL:
Noah Hanifin (with extension 7x7)

To CGY:
Mavrik Bourque
2024 2nd (DAL) - becomes 1st if DAL makes conference finals
Radek Faska

How does this help Dallas? If he projects as a 2C, thry arrnt giving him up.
To NYR:
Elias Lindholm (50% retained)

To CGY:
2024 1st (NYR)
Brennan Othmann
Barclay Goodrow

Lindholm is not getting Othman.

at this point Linholm like gets a 2nd and a contract to balance out the cap.
you need to ask Rangers to include a 1st just to get rid of Goodrow.

To TOR:
Chris Tanev (50% retained)

To CGY:
Timothy Liljegren
Ilya Samsonov (cup dump)

Toronto isn’t moving Liljegren for a rental. EF said thst toronto might be looking at a small rebuild this off-season and not sending out your players or picks snd prospects.
To ARI:
Andrew Mangiapane

To CGY:
2025 2nd (TOR)
2024 4th (SJ)

Zary-Kadri-Coronato
Huberdeau-Bourque-Sharangovich
Othmann-Backund-Coleman
Pelletier-Goodrow-Pospisil
Faksa, Greer

Weegar-Andersson
Kylington-Liljegren
Poirier-________

Markstrom
Wolf
Samsonov

Just because arizona has seconds doesn’t mean they are handing them out for free

Nanuuk

Nov 16, 2013
Calgary, Alberta
To DAL:
Noah Hanifin (with extension 7x7)

To CGY:
Mavrik Bourque
2024 2nd (DAL) - becomes 1st if DAL makes conference finals
Radek Faska

To NYR:
Elias Lindholm (50% retained)

To CGY:
2024 1st (NYR)
Brennan Othmann
Barclay Goodrow

To TOR:
Chris Tanev (50% retained)

To CGY:
Timothy Liljegren
Ilya Samsonov (cup dump)

To ARI:
Andrew Mangiapane

To CGY:
2025 2nd (TOR)
2024 4th (SJ)

Zary-Kadri-Coronato
Huberdeau-Bourque-Sharangovich
Othmann-Backund-Coleman
Pelletier-Goodrow-Pospisil
Faksa, Greer

Weegar-Andersson
Kylington-Liljegren
Poirier-________

Markstrom
Wolf
Samsonov

The Dallas proposal is quite good I believe. It would shore up our forward position and enable the trading of Lindholm.

The Ranger proposal is basically giving Lindholm away. I believe better deals are out there for him (Av's, Bruins, Devils).

The Toronto proposal would require them to send more if we are taking the Samsonov contract back. Toronto would crown Treliving King for Life if he swung that.

Mangi has more value than a 2nd and 4th. At the very least he could return a roster player or players in the off season. Or, the flames could keep him in service on one of the best lines in the league.

But let's say you swing these trades.

Huberdeau/Bourque/Sharangovich
Zary/Kadri/Pospisil
Goodrow/Backlund/Coleman
Greer/Faska/Klapka
Ruzicka

Klyington/Andersson
Solovyov/Weegar
Kuznetsov/Liljegren
Gilbert

Markstrom
Vladar
Samsonov

Some risk as there is no evidence Bourque is ready to play and losing Hanifin, Lindholm, and Tanev when we are trying to make the play-offs might just seal the deal and send us on our way for a lottery.

Certainly the additions of Faska and Goodrow are solid and would really make the bottom six very hard to play against.

Spare parts not mentioned - Dube, Oesterle. Dube, if packaged correctly, could fetch a good return. Othmann, Pelletier, and Coronato would have to stay in the AHL to overripen.

One of the goaltenders would have to go. Samsonov would be that guy (even if I think he can be a better goaltender) due to his salary.

If the Flames trade Tanev, I would re-sign Hanifin and they probably should in any event. But if they get that return from Dallas, I would resign Tanev and foreget the Toronto deal.

• Haha
Reactions: Dion TheFluff

Namikaze Minato

Apr 30, 2009
Beautiful B.C.
The Toronto proposal would require them to send more if we are taking the Samsonov contract back. Toronto would crown Treliving King for Life if he swung that.
Jesus christ, no he wouldnt. Thats an awful f***ing trade for Toronto. Samosonov is going to be gone in a couple months, hes a non factor.

Crowning Tre a king would be him pulling a trade for Andersson, not a 34 year old broken down UFA.

Reactions: Dion TheFluff

Junohockeyfan

Dec 16, 2018
Jesus christ, no he wouldnt. Thats an awful f***ing trade for Toronto. Samosonov is going to be gone in a couple months, hes a non factor.

Crowning Tre a king would be him pulling a trade for Andersson, not a 34 year old broken down UFA.
Samsonov's negative value will result in more coming back from TO. Flames can find a much better offer than Lilly. Especially at 50% retention.

Tkachuk Norris

Jun 22, 2012
These are bad.

Hanifin is a top D in the league. If he’s extended he’s getting a haul. First and Borque minimum.

Mangiapane has been on fire lately, why are we trading him when his value is restoring itself?

Tanev and Lindholm trades are fine but Lindholm has been excellent lately. I think there would be better trades out there for him

RasmusAndersson

Oct 19, 2013
These are bad.

Hanifin is a top D in the league. If he’s extended he’s getting a haul. First and Borque minimum.

Mangiapane has been on fire lately, why are we trading him when his value is restoring itself?

Tanev and Lindholm trades are fine but Lindholm has been excellent lately. I think there would be better trades out there for him
You’re gonna be so disappointed by any Hanifin trade lol. The fact that he needs to agree to an extension to bring back even this type of return handcuffs Conroy and lowers his value significantly because there are only a handful of teams he’ll be willing to re-sign with. And as great as I think he is, he would’ve re-signed by now if we’re really offering him 8x7.5. Imo he is gone in July and Conroy will need to recoup any value he can. He isn’t getting a 1st and Bourque lol. I think even this is asking a lot.

You can point to him being a top D all you want, and I agree, but his contract situation is gonna handcuff us. It’s inevitable

• Haha
Reactions: Tkachuk Norris

Namikaze Minato

Apr 30, 2009
Beautiful B.C.
Samsonov's negative value will result in more coming back from TO. Flames can find a much better offer than Lilly. Especially at 50% retention.
What kind of offers do you think they can get? Who else would be in the bidding war? I can assume vancouver would be calling, who else do you think is after Tanev and willing to pay a massive amount for him at 50% returned?

Double Dion

Jets fan 28/06/2014
Feb 9, 2011

You could have Kadri for free. Lindholm is going to cost more than a 1st and Ritchie. You'd be adding to that deal, not subtracting Ritche.

Reactions: lionsDen

RasmusAndersson

Oct 19, 2013
hard pass from the Leafs. Not moving an asset like Liljegren who's playing over 19 minutes a night and our only true RHD for a rental.
I get that and also like Liljegren. But is Brad gonna give him a 4x4.5 next summer? Cause if not I see him as a prime offer sheet for a 2nd target. If you/Brad are confident moving him into that top-pairing role then I agree keep him, but 4-4.5 is a lot for you guys when you probably want someone better for the top pair.

Ultimately Liljgren’s value is probably a 1st+small add, and Tanev’s value is a 1st, and dumping Samsonov makes up that difference.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad