GDT: #4 - || Devils @ Canucks || Tuesday 10/8/13. 10pm est || "Return of the Ginger"

Status
Not open for further replies.

JK3

Go Easy-Step Lightly-Stay Free
Nov 15, 2007
Ice Station Zebra
What's the over/under on 2 on 1's and breakaways we give up tonight? We need a system to fit the slugs on D we have, not force them to play a way they are incapable of.

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
I know you guys are feeling pretty negative... But you have Schnieds, kid is a ****ingg beast. Everytime the nucks played like **** he'd always bail us out. We would win too. Kid is going to be a superstar. Don't write off the devils this early into the season.

He gave up a soft goal and a terrible rebound that lead to a goal and gave a quality scoring chance because of piss poor puck handling last game he played.

Bgav

We Stylin'
Sponsor
Sep 3, 2009
Vancouver
He gave up a soft goal and a terrible rebound that lead to a goal and gave a quality scoring chance because of piss poor puck handling last game he played.

First game of the season, not saying he's perfect and can't make mistakes. Usually his bounce back games are epic

ThePSEGPowerPoster

LOSER POINTS!
Feb 23, 2013
I think a large sector of the fan base has always had unreasonable expectations for Zajac/Henrique points wise after 17/9 left. They both very clearly do not possess the creativity necessary to create and rack up assists nor do they have the ability to bury 30-40 goals consistently.

We're talking about two damn good defensive forwards with a decent offensive game and elite possession play. That's it. You just watch them play and you know that's pretty much their ceiling.

ThePSEGPowerPoster

LOSER POINTS!
Feb 23, 2013
What's the over/under on 2 on 1's and breakaways we give up tonight? We need a system to fit the slugs on D we have, not force them to play a way they are incapable of.

Over Under is at 5.5 breakaways given up.

What say you?

Uli Hiemer

Dr. Evil
Oct 19, 2011
Queens
if the defense doesn't clean up, it's going to be another "let's hang the goalie out to dry" night

then we'll have a discussion "were the goals soft?"

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
I see Jim found his new Kovy

Not at all...it's just so simple. **** team goalie has bad stats...good team goalie has good stats.

Not a goalie in this league right now that can win games by himself...and the stat monkeys don't seem to understand that.

ThePSEGPowerPoster

LOSER POINTS!
Feb 23, 2013
Not at all...it's just so simple. **** team goalie has bad stats...good team goalie has good stats.

Not a goalie in this league right now that can win games by himself...and the stat monkeys don't seem to understand that.

Not even prime Marty could win games by himself. It's common knowledge. You need some semblance of a defense.

If Marty had a good defense last year, would his numbers have looked better? Certainly. Same applies for Cory.

I don't think anyone is debating that. However, as a huge Marty fan, even I can acknowledge that the man has lost multiple steps. It's evident. Cory is simply better right now.

But you're absolutely correct in your initial assessment.

JK3

Go Easy-Step Lightly-Stay Free
Nov 15, 2007
Ice Station Zebra
Over Under is at 5.5 breakaways given up.

What say you?

2 breakaways and three 2 on 1's. Hopefully Schnieder can stop them. Marty took a lot of **** but he bailed them out a bunch of times last night and against the Isles. Those blatant giveaways always get forgotten when a goal isn't scored.

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Not even prime Marty could win games by himself. It's common knowledge. You need some semblance of a defense.

If Marty had a good defense last year, would his numbers have looked better? Certainly. Same applies for Cory.

I don't think anyone is debating that. However, as a huge Marty fan, even I can acknowledge that the man has lost multiple steps. It's evident. Cory is simply better right now.

But you're absolutely correct in your initial assessment.

If we played a decent defensive system (Last played under Lemaire) then Marty probably has a 910 save percentage last year. Maybe even higher.

The fact we barely give up any shots but too many breakaways/odd man breaks, killed his save percentage.

Devils Trap

May 6, 2009
New Jersey
but on the same token...the same friggin token can you believe it :laugh: we have shown seriously awesome potential. We're badass all at the same time. his system works. We just have a few players undermining it and someone needs to step in and let him know when to call the dang timeout.

i can see Lou sending Volchenkov and Larsson to Toronto for Phaneuf and a 3rd. somebody start the rumors!!!

Larsson and Volch for Gardiner and Dion

Holtz My Bahls

Jan 5, 2011
New Jersey
So would you rather lose with Larsson playing top minutes than win with him playing 65 games?

DeBoer doesn't believe in or trust him, killed his confidence, stunted his growth, etc... So until the idiot is fired, yeah Larsson should probably go to a team that will play him every game at top 2 minutes in the AHL.

tycobb

Jun 28, 2011
If we played a decent defensive system (Last played under Lemaire) then Marty probably has a 910 save percentage last year. Maybe even higher.

The fact we barely give up any shots but too many breakaways/odd man breaks, killed his save percentage.

What killed his SV% is his declining play which is expected. The year before we gave up 2190 shots or 26 shots per game and Marty was solid with .908 SV%.

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
What killed his SV% is his declining play which is expected. The year before we gave up 2190 shots or 26 shots per game and Marty was solid with .908 SV%.

He was also good at even strength last year. Our POS penalty killing really hurt him last year.

Brodeur had a similar save percentage in the shortened 95 regular season.

I thought he was exceptionally good in 11-12. For most of the season at least. The defensive play was horrible early that season. I thought the 11-12 Brodeur looked the best he had since before the injury in 08. He also had his best playoffs since 03. By far his best playoff performance since 03.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad