GDT: #4 - || Devils @ Canucks || PART II

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
Actually I think it's the other way around...Harrold looks far worse with Volchenkov.

White-Mottau is sort of a better version of CBGB, the overachievers that got played above their weight class with Mottau as the baby Gio.

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Actually I think it's the other way around...Harrold looks far worse with Volchenkov.

White-Mottau is sort of a better version of CBGB, the overachievers that got played above their weight class with Mottau as the baby Gio.

I think both of them just look really bad with each other.

I don't have many good things to say about Whitey in his final couple years. I thought he was terrible. Not Volchenkov bad, but pretty frickin bad in his own right. Sharks fans thought they were getting a top 4 defenseman too.:laugh::laugh:

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
Has a coach ever actually been traded in the NHL? It seems to happen in the NFL every now and again - Herm Edwards for one. Parcells and Belichick were essentially traded (seems as if the Jets were involved in most of these come to think of it). Even Don Shula was 'traded' way back when or at least the Dolphins wound up compensating the Colts I think.

Don't remember too many instances of it in baseball except Lou Pinella when he went to Tampa...and Gil Hodges with the Mets way back when.

EDIT: Now that I think of it, Keenan was traded for Petr Nedved - sort of lmao.

njdevils1982

Hell Toupée!!!
Sep 8, 2006
North of Toronto
Has a coach ever actually been traded in the NHL? It seems to happen in the NFL every now and again - Herm Edwards for one. Parcells and Belichick were essentially traded (seems as if the Jets were involved in most of these come to think of it). Even Don Shula was 'traded' way back when or at least the Dolphins wound up compensating the Colts I think.

Don't remember too many instances of it in baseball except Lou Pinella when he went to Tampa...and Gil Hodges with the Mets way back when.

EDIT: Now that I think of it, Keenan was traded for Petr Nedved lmao.

not a trade but how can you forget torts the clown and vigneault switching teams?

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
We didn't really 'get' anything for Sutter. I know people think our draft day trade with Calgary to get Josefson was our compensation but it wasn't a gift - it was a normal draft-day trade up that happens a dozen times every year. Anthony Brodeur this year was more a gift than Josefson was.

JerseySideOfTheRiver

Geaux Devils
Feb 5, 2011
Baton Rouge, LA
rewatching the 2nd and 3rd goals instills some optimism in me.

2nd goal clowe limped off and edler was left alone. everyone else had good coverage.

same for the 3rd goal. i saw a lot of people complaining about zajac but his job was to cover hamhuis and if he left him to go to garrison it would have left hamuis all alone on the left side. brunner didn't realize the puck had been poked out to garrison until it was a second too late.

i may be too much of an optimist but thats what i saw. People calling for Deboer's head are hilarious. there is honestly no reason to fire him. last year they were plagued with injuries. now they are 4 games in with a bunch of new offensive players learning the system.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
I'm hoping Cory could clean up his rebound control a little bit. He almost got in trouble with another weak rebound last night in the 3rd I think it was.

It's only natural for a goalie that hasn't played in almost a week to have shaky rebound control. If he got starts more frequently, his rebound control will be much better. If he only gets the 11-12 Hedberg work load, get ready for more shoddy rebound control. IMO Marty's rebound control is almost non existent at this point. That's what I've been saying has been the biggest decline in his game. Though his rebound control hasn't been particularly bad this year yet.

Unknown Caller

Apr 30, 2009

2nd goal clowe limped off and edler was left alone. everyone else had good coverage.

same for the 3rd goal. i saw a lot of people complaining about zajac but his job was to cover hamhuis and if he left him to go to garrison it would have left hamuis all alone on the left side. brunner didn't realize the puck had been poked out to garrison until it was a second too late.

i may be too much of an optimist but thats what i saw. People calling for Deboer's head are hilarious. there is honestly no reason to fire him. last year they were plagued with injuries. now they are 4 games in with a bunch of new offensive players learning the system.

Edler was Loktionov's man on the second goal. If you watch the replay you can see Loktionov gliding behind Edler the whole way. Greene and Fayne did about all you could ask on the play though.

AfroThunder396

[citation needed]
Jan 8, 2006
Miami, FL
I'm hoping Cory could clean up his rebound control a little bit. He almost got in trouble with another weak rebound last night in the 3rd I think it was.

It's only natural for a goalie that hasn't played in almost a week to have shaky rebound control. If he got starts more frequently, his rebound control will be much better. If he only gets the 11-12 Hedberg work load, get ready for more shoddy rebound control. IMO Marty's rebound control is almost non existent at this point. That's what I've been saying has been the biggest decline in his game. Though his rebound control hasn't been particularly bad this year yet.

To me, Marty's biggest decline has been in his recovery time. Whenever he makes the initial save he just sits there like a deer in headlights, it takes him at least a whole second to react and make a move. You see the puck clear as day in front of him and he's just sitting there like a stone statue.

10 years ago Marty was jumping around like a spider monkey. I don't know whether it's a reflex problem or if he forgot how to track the puck or what. It's almost like his instincts are gone and he has to manually think about what he has to do next. With a slow defense like ours it's recipe for disaster.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
To me, Marty's biggest decline has been in his recovery time. Whenever he makes the initial save he just sits there like a deer in headlights, it takes him at least a whole second to react and make a move. You see the puck clear as day in front of him and he's just sitting there like a stone statue.

10 years ago Marty was jumping around like a spider monkey. I don't know whether it's a reflex problem or if he forgot how to track the puck or what. It's almost like his instincts are gone and he has to manually think about what he has to do next. With a slow defense like ours it's recipe for disaster.
You're exactly right. That's the other thing I've noticed about him. The rebound control has been on the decline for a few years now, but I've noticed the slow recovery time particularly a lot starting last season. The rebound control I noticed seemed to completely go early in the 11-12 season. Just out of nowhere really. The recovery time has been a problem since last year, and it was really noticeable after he came back from injury. His glove appeared to be going in 10-11, but it's been decent to pretty good since then.

I think it's just a problem that comes with age. A lot of times it takes him a good 5-8 seconds to get back up when he's on the ground. With the bozo's on defense that we got, they really don't give him a lot of help in that area.

Uli Hiemer

Dr. Evil
Oct 19, 2011
Queens
The comment about the "players playing hard for Cory" Deboer said before the game had me giggling. Considering they don't even protect the goalie that needs to be protected. The elderly one.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
The comment about the "players playing hard for Cory" Deboer said before the game had me giggling. Considering they don't even protect the goalie that needs to be protected. The elderly one.

I thought the breakaways/odd man breaks were cleaned up a bit last night. We only gave up 2 I think.:laugh:

Though last night it seemed they spent most of the game playing in the defensive zone. Significantly more than any game so far.

The sad part is that I think our best game defensively was probably the opener against Pittsburgh.

nugg

NJ Hammerhead Bats!
Apr 27, 2002
Central Jersey

Happened this year with the Blue Jays and Red Sox. Looks like it's worked for the Sox!

Benedict Parisechuk

Army of Pandolfo's
Apr 5, 2013
Chicago, IL

Except White-Mottau were actually pretty good for awhile.

They were going up against opposing teams top lines for a while :laugh:. I do wonder how effective they actually were or did Marty just bail them out half the time since he was still playing at an All Star caliber level back then. They were pretty serviceable for a good chunk of that 09 season and then Sutter basically ran them into the ground late in the year and then the **** hit the fan in the Carolina series.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
I still have this feeling that Marty will be starting in Calgary and Winnipeg both, even if we lose in Calgary.

I'm feeling my long awaited ''Hey I've said since day 1, Marty is still our starting goaltender'' quote from Deboer will be making it's debut pretty soon.

No more back to backs for the rest of the month. We're done until November 2nd-3rd. It's gonna really start to get interesting now.

Zajacs Bowl Cut

Lets Go Baby
Nov 6, 2005
PA

the D is the problem, and its the same D as last year. thats a problem.

plus, Pete's lineup decisions are ALWAYS controversial.

I am not worried about the offense.

MartyOwns

thank you shero
Apr 1, 2007
i actually liked Motts when he was here. of course, he was the a product of the system like no other. Motts on this team would get eaten alive.

Bgav

We Stylin'
Sponsor
Sep 3, 2009
Vancouver

I think the Canucks traded Carlyle when he was coaching our ahl team

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad