GDT: 4/24/23 - 7:30PM EDT - #2 Toronto vs #3 Tampa Bay [ECQF GAME 4]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fabiobest

Italian Florida Man
Feb 4, 2017
Turin, Italy
This is a weird take, the 2nd line we have right now has been absolutely dominant. More dominant than the Gourde line ever was, they're everywhere doing everything.

Did you just list Stamkos as someone who scores consistently in the playoffs? There's 6 guys not named Kucherov or Point who have as many or more points than him on this team in this series.

Kucherov, Point and Stamkos have 4 goals between them this series which 1 more than Maroon, Bellemare and Perry have between them. Cirelli, Hagel and Killorn have 5. Yeah no, depth scoring isn't an issue, if anything it's top line scoring that's not doing their job especially in relation to the Leafs top guys.
I think the forwards in general are not an issue. Ok, Paul is dry since dozen of games, but we have an important depth this season.
The biggest issues are in our zone (defense, with Cole that is terrible and with a .85 Vasy) and the game style: with this defense, it's impossible to stop playing and to turtle (Idk if it's the right word, sorry) without allowing goals.

Cigar City

Apr 21, 2012
Tampa
This is a weird take, the 2nd line we have right now has been absolutely dominant. More dominant than the Gourde line ever was, they're everywhere doing everything.

Did you just list Stamkos as someone who scores consistently in the playoffs? There's 6 guys not named Kucherov or Point who have as many or more points than him on this team in this series.

Kucherov, Point and Stamkos have 4 goals between them this series which 1 more than Maroon, Bellemare and Perry have between them. Cirelli, Hagel and Killorn have 5. Yeah no, depth scoring isn't an issue, if anything it's top line scoring that's not doing their job especially in relation to the Leafs top guys.

Game 1 was obviously the outlier in the series. The second line isn't "depth scoring". Your top 6 is supposed to score goals. The second line has been outstanding defensively 5v5 and has put up points.

Jeannot, Paul, Colton, Maroon, Bellemare, Paul. You really think their output is good enough to win a Cup?

Toronto has had sustained depth scoring. Acciari, ROR, Kerfoot in big moments. You watched this team for the second half of the season and really came to the conclusion that our depth forwards are fine? We were below .500 and we were scoring enough goals?

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009
The defense hasn't been any worse than the Leafs defense so no I wouldn't that's what's causing us to lose this series either, I would say the defense is doing more than fine for what they have to work with.

The Leafs have had equally as many defensive breakdowns as we have this series, difference is all goaltending or are we forgetting they've had to claw back both times in the last 2 goals and got blown out in game 1? 9.5M goalie vs 1.8M goalie is where we're losing the most, next is top line vs top line. Perry has more points than Brayden Point this series, that's an issue.

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009
Game 1 was obviously the outlier in the series. The second line isn't "depth scoring". Your top 6 is supposed to score goals. The second line has been outstanding defensively 5v5 and has put up points.

Jeannot, Paul, Colton, Maroon, Bellemare, Paul. You really think their output is good enough to win a Cup?

Toronto has had sustained depth scoring. Acciari, ROR, Kerfoot in big moments. You watched this team for the second half of the season and really came to the conclusion that our depth forwards are fine? We were below .500 and we were scoring enough goals?

You just said the 2nd line isn't depth scoring then proceed to list ROR as the Leafs "depth scoring" lool. Acciari has 2 points, Kerfoot has one goal whoop dee do? Perry and Bellemare have 7 points and the same amount of goals between them.

Bottom scoring is easily a wash this series. Acciari, Jarnkrok, Kamphf, Aston-Reese, Lafferty and Kerfoot have 5 goals and 8 points between them. Maroon, Perry, Bellemare, Colton, Jeannot and Paul have 4 goals and 11 points.

Where's the biggest difference? Their top 3 forwards have 24 points and 7 goals, ours have 12 points and 4 goals, yeah gonna blame the 3rd line for that right.

What does is matter what they did in the RS, you're really watching this series and thinking we have no secondary scoring? Are you ok?

Last edited:

Cigar City

Apr 21, 2012
Tampa
You just said the 2nd line isn't depth scoring then proceed to list ROR as the Leafs "depth scoring". Acciari has 2 points, Kerfoot has one goal whoop dee do? Perry and Bellemare have 7 points and the same amount of goals between them, guess where they play again? Oh right the 4th line.

What does is matter what they did in the RS, you're really watching this series and thinking we have no secondary scoring? Are you ok?
ROR has been playing with Acciari and Knies... So yes... Depth scoring.

ROR ties the game in game 3 in the last minute. Kerfoot scores GWG last night. Timely goals from depth forwards.

Perry had three points in a game one blowout. It was the outlier game of the series.

What does it matter what they did in the regular season? This team is doing exactly what they did in the second half of the regular season. We're down 3-1.

Reactions: Renopucker

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009
ROR has been playing with Acciari and Knies... So yes... Depth scoring.

ROR ties the game in game 3 in the last minute. Kerfoot scores GWG last night. Timely goals from depth forwards.

Perry had three points in a game one blowout. It was the outlier game of the series.

What does it matter what they did in the regular season? This team is doing exactly what they did in the second half of the regular season. We're down 3-1.

Oh yeah, can you show me where they had +4GAA and 0.856 save % from our starter every single game down the stretch?

Cigar City

Apr 21, 2012
Tampa
Oh yeah, can you show me where they had +4GAA and 0.856 save % from our starter every single game down the stretch?
Oh this is what you're getting at? Vasy hasn't been good.

Good teams adapt. There have been MANY times where good goaltending has won us games. The opposite needs to be true sometimes.

Fabiobest

Italian Florida Man
Feb 4, 2017
Turin, Italy
Oh this is what you're getting at? Vasy hasn't been good.

Good teams adapt. There have been MANY times where good goaltending has won us games. The opposite needs to be true sometimes.
If you have a terrible goaltending, you will never win.
If can happen you win a single game, like G1...but at the end of the day, you will always lose the series if you cannot score 6-7 goals every single night

Cigar City

Apr 21, 2012
Tampa
If you have a terrible goaltending, you will never win.
If can happen you win a single game, like G1...but at the end of the day, you will always lose the series if you cannot score 6-7 goals every single night
There wasn't terrible goaltending last night. It was a game that the rest of the team should have won. Hagel misses a PS, Cirelli can't put a loose puck in the back of the net, the PK is ATROCIOUS.

Games 3 and 4 were winnable despite Vasy's average play.

J T Money

Biggest Bozo
Jan 21, 2016
9E849E30-24BF-49BB-BBA1-7421E658D874.jpeg

If that were our goalie in the regular season, everyone would be screaming for Cooper and JBB to do something. That’s not even AHL worthy :help:

Reactions: The Gongshow

J T Money

Biggest Bozo
Jan 21, 2016
Right but most people aren't stupid enough to take a 4 game sample and call someone washed, but there are a few around here!

I’m not saying he’s washed. I’m pointing out that he’s playing like shit, so something needs to change.

Whether it’s personnel in the offseason, switch the scheme to more defensive (blocking shots that we used to) or Vasy just needs Lasik in the offseason.

Stammertime91

TBL: TEAM OF THE CENTURY
Dec 13, 2011
Tampa: NHL's Newest Dynasty
I’m not saying he’s washed. I’m pointing out that he’s playing like shit, so something needs to change.

Whether it’s personnel in the offseason, switch the scheme to more defensive (blocking shots that we used to) or Vasy just needs Lasik in the offseason.
Needs another cold shower cause the one he got from Colorado last year wasn't enough apparently.

Tim Smith

Jun 24, 2021
After having the night to collect my thoughts... This team is done for. Can they win 3 in a row? Sure. Will they? This year no. You can't win games by sitting back and playing tiddlywinks the last 10 minutes of a game. Yes, there were alot of missed calls on both sides that could have changed things but at the same time you cant blow a 3 goal lead in 6 minutes on home ice. Their superstars showed up when it mattered most and played till the final horn regardless of what showed on the scoreboard. Watching these last 3 games, it shows that the last 3-4 months weren't just a fluke or bad stretch for the team. I dont know if a bigger change is needed but something has to give. How can you look at this team give up a last minute goal in the 3rd period and lose in OT on home ice 1 game and then the next game blow a 4-1 lead in 6 minutes and lose in OT and say nah we dont need to change anything at all. Another issue we are having is losing key faceoffs that lead to goals. i cant count how many times we lose a faceoff in the D-zone and less than 20 seconds later its in the net. Most of all, Vasy needs to figure it the hell out. He needs to sacrifice a cat or whatever. While not every goal has been on him, he needs to be better. That being said. i would love for them to prove me wrong and at least force a game 7 so all the Leaf fans get scared their team is choking a 3-1 series lead again.
unfortunately its over. When you have to cringe when each and every shot is fired at your #1 world class goalie (supposedly) you have to sense something is broken. I have watched Vasy play since taking over for Bishop and I have never felt that sense before. He has always been that rock for this team and has been a huge reason why they won the cups, but thats gone now. Looks like he is way too tired, we need to find a good #2 goalie next year, someone who us young and hungry and can push Vasy and compete, hope we have one in the minors that is coming up. A bit of a sad day here in Tampa Bay, BOLTZ forever!

Tim Smith

Jun 24, 2021

We are use to "Vasy excellence" and a standard that we hold him accountable for, however when that is not apparent its a shock, it feels something is out of place and not right, and obviously something ain't right with him. I think he is simply tired and his focus and laser sharp skills are now diminished.

I think the forwards in general are not an issue. Ok, Paul is dry since dozen of games, but we have an important depth this season.
The biggest issues are in our zone (defense, with Cole that is terrible and with a .85 Vasy) and the game style: with this defense, it's impossible to stop playing and to turtle (Idk if it's the right word, sorry) without allowing goals.
Paul looks like he is missing a gear, looks extremely flat, maybe the Toronto scene will make him wake the F up.

Fabiobest

Italian Florida Man
Feb 4, 2017
Turin, Italy
We are use to "Vasy excellence" and a standard that we hold him accountable for, however when that is not apparent its a shock, it feels something is out of place and not right, and obviously something ain't right with him. I think he is simply tired and his focus and laser sharp skills are now diminished.

Paul looks like he is missing a gear, looks extremely flat, maybe the Toronto scene will make him wake the F up.
I do not think it will happen on Thursday.

larueskee

Player/Member USA Hockey or affilates 1972-2006
Mar 15, 2017
Seattle, WA
In 5 games so far, Vasy has given up an extra 5 goals above expected. He is the worst goalie in the playoffs. We win games 3 and 4 if he plays somewhere between bad and above average. Cole has f***ed us several times with lazy play, but Vasy is the difference.
Naw, Cooper screwed the pooch for yelling at Cole after his sweet goal in game 2. So Cole is just playing like the rest the of the team now and waiting for the off season.

Peacefool

Nov 15, 2019
It was our game too. Toronto did great job to win both of our home games. We have strenghts to win 3 of 3. Lets just hope.

LightningStrikes

Champa Bay Lightning
Nov 24, 2009
3 in a row is a tall order for this team. It’s a shame they dropped the last 2 games.
What gives hope (shudder) is how close these games have been. Both decided by 1 goal in OT. Let’s tape the wagon and hope the wheels don’t come off entirely.

PS: I have decided to become optimist prime. Join me! It might be over soon anyway heh.

Peacefool

Nov 15, 2019
What gives hope (shudder) is how close these games have been. Both decided by 1 goal in OT. Let’s tape the wagon and hope the wheels don’t come off entirely.

PS: I have decided to become optimist prime. Join me! It might be over soon anyway heh.
Yes we could and should win game 3 and 4, we were much better, so maybe we earned some luck and will win next 3 games.

Reactions: LightningStrikes
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad