GDT: 4/22/14 - 7:00PM EDT - #2 Tampa Bay @ #3 Montréal [ECQF GAME 4]

Status
Not open for further replies.

FDfranklin

Jan 21, 2013
It wasn't that the suddenly changed their minds, it was that suddenly a blatant infraction lead to a turnover and a potential for a goal to be scored late in a tight game. I get why it's frustrating, but it's frustrating that no one seems to want to acknowledge this key difference between the call and all of the stuff prior that wasn't called.

I, and other Habs fans, have been arguing this point all over HF today, and no one seems to want to address it.

It still comes down to consistency. If you aren't going to call blatant trips on MTL don't call it on us, especially seconds after letting a blatant hold/interference call go.

Shadow Journal

Non, je ne regrette rien
Jun 20, 2003
It still comes down to consistency. If you aren't going to call blatant trips on MTL don't call it on us, especially seconds after letting a blatant hold/interference call go.

The blatant hold/interference didn't cause a turnover that could have easily directly lead to a scoring chance. That's the difference between the non-call and the call. The ref was letting a battle away from the puck go, and called it when a trip caused a turnover. Two very different situations.

FDfranklin

Jan 21, 2013
The blatant hold/interference didn't cause a turnover that could have easily directly lead to a scoring chance. That's the difference between the non-call and the call.

Okay fine but how about the trip on Kostka, Price tripping Stamkos, Golatender interference on Bourque, the cross check in the face to Callahan? All of which were blatant and both trips we had possession. Do you not want consistency?

Shadow Journal

Non, je ne regrette rien
Jun 20, 2003
Okay fine but how about the trip on Kostka, Price tripping Stamkos, Golatender interference on Bourque, the cross check in the face to Callahan? All of which were blatant and both trips we had possession. Do you not want consistency?

Right, some things weren't called earlier in the game on both sides. Some of them worse than others (the Stamkos phantom hand-pass comes to mind as the worst), but again think of the context. The last 2 minutes of a tight tied game, a blatant trip leads to a potential scoring chance. If the ref doesn't call that and it's in the back of the net then a blatant trip decides the game for Tampa.

PS: thanks for engaging in an actual discussion of the issue, first time that's happened on this particular point today.

FDfranklin

Jan 21, 2013
Right, some things weren't called earlier in the game on both sides. Some of them worse than others (the Stamkos phantom hand-pass comes to mind as the worst), but again think of the context. The last 2 minutes of a tight tied game, a blatant trip leads to a potential scoring chance. If the ref doesn't call that and it's in the back of the net then a blatant trip decides the game for Tampa.

PS: thanks for engaging in an actual discussion of the issue, first time that's happened on this particular point today.

Paqutte being taken out of the play for 10 seconds and not having the opportunity to potentially do something in the offense zone in the last 2 minutes is not equally as bad as him tripping someone in the last 2 minutes?

There is no way of knowing if Paquette wasn't held down in the corner that he could of made a play in those 10 seconds that led to a goal. This is the reason both shouldn't have been called or both should have been called, not just one.

I don't see how anyone can't see both or none on that play.

Shadow Journal

Non, je ne regrette rien
Jun 20, 2003
Paqutte being taken out of the play for 10 seconds and not having the opportunity to potentially do something in the offense zone in the last 2 minutes is not equally as bad as him tripping someone in the last 2 minutes?

There is no way of knowing if Paquette wasn't held down in the corner that he could of made a play in those 10 seconds that led to a goal. This is the reason both shouldn't have been called or both should have been called, not just one.

I don't see how anyone can't see both or none on that play.

Right, but you can be fairly certain that if Bournival wasn't tripped he has a shot of clearing the puck, that instead went directly to a Tampa player. One is hypothetical, one is clear as day reality.
The trip lead to a turnover, the holding/interference (I've been conceding that it was all or mostly Bournival's fault, but I don't think that's necessarily true, although I think it's largely irrelevant) hypothetically could have cost Tampa a chance to score.

FDfranklin

Jan 21, 2013
Right, but you can be fairly certain that if Bournival wasn't tripped he has a shot of clearing the puck, that instead went directly to a Tampa player. One is hypothetical, one is clear as day reality.
The trip lead to a turnover, the holding/interference (I've been conceding that it was all or mostly Bournival's fault, but I don't think that's necessarily true, although I think it's largely irrelevant) hypothetically could have cost Tampa a chance to score.

I think both are extremely hypothetical considering Bournival could have easily turned the puck over or his clearing attempt could have been stopped at the point by a defender.

They are both extremely hard to call IMO which is why I think they should have called both or none at all. If they called both the play would have stopped and the puck turnover couldn't have led to a TB goal.

If they call just Bournival the trip would have never happened and it would have been a TB PP giving us the advantage.

If they call just Paquette it would be a MTL PP giving MTL the advantage.

If they call both it doesn't give one team the advantage with 2 minutes left when they held their whistles the entire 18 minutes with many calls let go on both sides, some blatant some not.

Shadow Journal

Non, je ne regrette rien
Jun 20, 2003
I think both are extremely hypothetical considering Bournival could have easily turned the puck over or his clearing attempt could have been stopped at the point by a defender.

One is completely hypothetical, one is a reality (the turnover) followed but a number of hypotheticals.

They are both extremely hard to call IMO which is why I think they should have called both or none at all. If they called both the play would have stopped and the puck turnover couldn't have led to a TB goal.

If they call just Bournival the trip would have never happened and it would have been a TB PP giving us the advantage.

If they call just Paquette it would be a MTL PP giving MTL the advantage.

If they call both it doesn't give one team the advantage with 2 minutes left when they held their whistles the entire 18 minutes with many calls let go on both sides, some blatant some not.

It becomes an issue of timing. The ref saw the battle at the boards and could have decided to call one, both, or neither. He picked neither, and let the play continue. Then the trip happened, which was a separate incident and considered separately. Based on the context it was the right call, it stopped a play that could have easily lead to a goal.

MattM92

Dec 8, 2010
FL
A lot of discussion over what was obviously an unfair call. Both teams were getting away with manslaughter for the entire 3rd period, but Paquette tripping Bournival with 2 minutes to go was an inexcusable offense? And please don't use the argument, "it resulted in a turnover in the offensive zone" because both teams were getting away with that for 58 minutes. You may think we are biased here, and we are, but for anyone to defend that call is just showing bias in the opposite direction.

In the end, we still need to kill the penalty off, and it's not as if that call broke the series, but the officiating was just terrible. Games 3 and 4 especially it seemed as if the officials were another team we had to beat instead of being impartial arbitrators.

Congratulations to Montreal, well deserved series win, but I can't say that the 4-0 sweep was indicative of the talent of this team. This series was a hell of a lot closer than a 4-0 sweep and I hope we see you guys in the playoffs next year (except hopefully you see a healthy Bolts team).

BobBobrovsky*

A lot of discussion over what was obviously an unfair call. Both teams were getting away with manslaughter for the entire 3rd period, but Paquette tripping Bournival with 2 minutes to go was an inexcusable offense? And please don't use the argument, "it resulted in a turnover in the offensive zone" because both teams were getting away with that for 58 minutes. You may think we are biased here, and we are, but for anyone to defend that call is just showing bias in the opposite direction.

In the end, we still need to kill the penalty off, and it's not as if that call broke the series, but the officiating was just terrible. Games 3 and 4 especially it seemed as if the officials were another team we had to beat instead of being impartial arbitrators.

Congratulations to Montreal, well deserved series win, but I can't say that the 4-0 sweep was indicative of the talent of this team. This series was a hell of a lot closer than a 4-0 sweep and I hope we see you guys in the playoffs next year (except hopefully you see a healthy Bolts team).

Most NHL playoff sweeps are largely because the losing team's goalie did not deliver, not because the winning team is so much better. But they still happen.

Leonardo87

New York Rangers, Anaheim Ducks, and TMNT fan.
Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
btw Cooper said "Pallahan" in that post game. I think he reads these boards.

I caught that also, I think they were the best line last night. It really was cool watching my favorite player in the league play for The Rangers, become a captain, and then was skating on a line in the playoffs with the best goal scorer in the league. Cally is a fool if he does not re-sign here. Seriously.

It frustrates me that they could not win these last 2 games, but this was mostly on the defense and goal tending, and the very bad biased officiating. But it was nice for Cooper to point out how well the top line was playing. At least it kinda sets fans opinions back a little when the head coach is giving them props.

The success of the regular season was mostly on the play of Ben Bishop. The goaltender is the backbone of any team. Tampa's backup goalie is just not good. This series was not expected to go far without Bishop, and Tampa fans should not be upset, and should be proud that they got over 100 points, and clinched home ice.

BobBobrovsky*

I caught that also, I think they were the best line last night. It really was cool watching my favorite player in the league play for The Rangers, become a captain, and then was skating on a line in the playoffs with the best goal scorer in the league. Cally is a fool if he does not re-sign here. Seriously.

It frustrates me that they could not win these last 2 games, but this was mostly on the defense and goal tending, and the very bad biased officiating. But it was nice for Cooper to point out how well the top line was playing. At least it kinda sets fans opinions back a little when the head coach is giving them props.

The success of the regular season was mostly on the play of Ben Bishop. The goaltender is the backbone of any team. Tampa's backup goalie is just not good. This series was not expected to go far without Bishop, and Tampa fans should not be upset, and should be proud that they got over 100 points, and clinched home ice.

I agree with that. We'll never know what would have happned had Bishop not been out but once he was . . . Tampa had no chance because the Habs have more depth and much more playoff experience, which Ben's presence could have negated, up to a point.

Lord Stan 2020

Elite fan
Jun 29, 2013
New Port Richey Fl
www.facebook.com
I got a suggestion to our OPS ban all fans not of tampa bay for a week to two weeks after playoff losses. Especially the teams we lose to:)

I for one don't care for your arguments or your side of the equation. I dont want to hear we didnt have chance or your views on our team kindly.

If you want to come in and say hey you did a good job have a good team will get better fine.

To come in and argue things which 99% of us will not agree with just to rub it in is BS ? WE JUST LOST WE DONT GIVE A FLYING PIG ABOUT YOUR SIDE. We dont agree with your side go take it back to your room and if we want to talk to you we will show up there.

P.S. Let us mourn and grieve in peace.

Anyway my two cents.

EDIT::::: Not changing the above cause was how felt when saw these last few pages. What want to add is am sure if we would have had a series a good series I would feel differently.

If we played good hockey. If the refs hadnt screwed up a couple big ways to end the series and change complexity of a game I would feel less wounded?

So nothing against montreal fans or others. Just wish we had played lightning hockey we had played better losing is ok the **** storm for four games we put on the ice is a joke. The refs factoring in the ending of this series on top of that makes this one of the hardest things I have dealt with as a fan.

I have had wings lose after winning the most games and get swept but was by GREAT GOALTENDING lol that was tough honestly this is a whole nother dimension for me as a fan.

So nothing good said is gonna really help. We played terribly. I have no real positives except for the main guys as always we know who shows up no matter what. This is really one of the most painful losses in sports I can remember.

I just wanted us to play well and yep we did for most of one game and a period:(

Not the way I wanted the year to end hey price gets hot we cant beat you all but play good? I am fine with that:)

So congrats to montreal just one fans ***** and feeling robbed. Not just by refs but internally from some players.

Last edited:

Kristia

Old folks home..
Mar 10, 2006
Tampa Bay Area....
I got a suggestion to our OPS ban all fans not of tampa bay for a week to two weeks after playoff losses. Especially the teams we lose to:)

I for one don't care for your arguments or your side of the equation. I dont want to hear we didnt have chance or your views on our team kindly.

If you want to come in and say hey you did a good job have a good team will get better fine.

To come in and argue things which 99% of us will not agree with just to rub it in is BS ? WE JUST LOST WE DONT GIVE A FLYING PIG ABOUT YOUR SIDE. We dont agree with your side go take it back to your room and if we want to talk to you we will show up there.

P.S. Let us mourn and grieve in peace.

Anyway my two cents.

Pretty much this is my feelings on things at the moment.

Shadow Journal

Non, je ne regrette rien
Jun 20, 2003
Pretty much this is my feelings on things at the moment.

That's my bad guys, you're totally right. I just like to argue, so I gravitate to places where there are willing partners.

Tampa has a fantastic team, and I was planning on jumping on the bandwagon if they beat the Habs. I'm from Halifax, and a big Mooseheads fan, so the prospect of a rematch next year between our teams with Tampa adding Drouin and a healthy Bishop is terrifying, and I hope it happens. Enjoy your summer guys.

Lord Stan 2020

Elite fan
Jun 29, 2013
New Port Richey Fl
www.facebook.com
That's my bad guys, you're totally right. I just like to argue, so I gravitate to places where there are willing partners.

Tampa has a fantastic team, and I was planning on jumping on the bandwagon if they beat the Habs. I'm from Halifax, and a big Mooseheads fan, so the prospect of a rematch next year between our teams with Tampa adding Drouin and a healthy Bishop is terrifying, and I hope it happens. Enjoy your summer guys.

Is this honestly.

We played badly the refs were bad the series was bad. We need some time to digest that. I have always said I dont care if we lose and I mean that I want us to give effort and try and play well will live with all the mistakes and trust me WE KNOW ABOUT THE MISTAKES lol.

We didnt play our hockey is concerning. The times this happened was when marty asked to be traded a little over a month of bad play and primarily every time lindback is in net:(

So if we had played lightning hockey for more than one game and one period? I think we are bitter but we get over it. Right now I am thinking this is gonna take some time. We got more questions now than we did a hell of a lot more questions so

officiating? The fine points of who is right or wrong? That dont matter so much is all was saying. Is more what the hell can we do to fix some issues we were unaware of so they dont raise their dammed heads in the future?

If we had played well and lost this would digest a lot easier. Think soul searching why this team goes to **** at certain points and that is not on the kids that is the vets and if they cant fix that **** they need to get the hell out.

The vets are the ones screwing up with lindback in net primarily. Sure paquette had a couple errors sure killorn a penalty here and there and barberio sucked but the vets certain vets? They were horrendous and they are VETS. This is the problem.

FDfranklin

Jan 21, 2013
CQGVHg4.gif

Stamkos' "handpass"

dbieon12

Vinik-Brisebois-Cooper
Jul 22, 2010
Double fail by the ref on this call.

Used his leg, plus it's not a handpass if it's to yourself.

Can someone explain how that is not a trip or at least justify the no call? Price's motion was not toward the puck but was against the movement of Stamkos' momentum and feet.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad