GDT: 4/21/15 - 7:00PM EDT - #2 Tampa Bay @ #3 Detroit [ECQF GAME 3]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kristia

Old folks home..
Mar 10, 2006
Tampa Bay Area....
I have always felt the best way to Neutralize Datsyuk was to be extremely physical with him. Every time he touched the puck, hit him. Don't give him time and space. You give him time and space, he makes you look like an idiot.

They did that somewhat in game 2 and it worked well. Don't understand why they stopped in game 3.

Hugh Mongusbig

Mar 7, 2012
If Stamkos is going to wear that C, he needs to take a page a Vinny's book. If your team can't get anything going. Go out and punch the biggest guy on the ice. Vinny when we were down went out and fought Chara, got his a** handed to him, but it fired up the team. Stamkos just sorta fades away and that is NOT a Captain.

So you want Stammer to go out and fight Ericsson then?

E52 doesn't fight much, but when he does, the big swede can drop some bombs.

Nathan MacKinnon and Jamie Benn both tried the same thing earlier this season and it didn't turn out well for either one.
Both guys ended up getting their faces pummeled and still lost the game that night.

How many times has Zetterberg (or Datsyuk) gone out and started a fight to show they have heart or are good captains/leaders?

Starting a fight just because proves nothing other than he's an idiot for taking himself out of a playoff game. If he really wants to lead this team, he can do it by lighting the lamp a few times or making something happen for his linemates.

dechire

TBL Stanley Cup Champs 2020 2021
Jul 8, 2014
inconnu
Being 0 for 13 on the PP in the games we lost is unacceptable. They need to hire a ****ing PP coach next year.

Hugh Mongusbig

Mar 7, 2012
They did that somewhat in game 2 and it worked well. Don't understand why they stopped in game 3.

Because it was being done to them instead...

Detroit had 48 hits last night, compared to TB's 26.

Abdelkader (6 hits) and Brendan Smith (5 hits) played their first games of the series thus far, and brought a lot more physicality than the Wings had been bringing.

Callahan and Coburn were the only Lightning players hitting anything last night.

Kristia

Old folks home..
Mar 10, 2006
Tampa Bay Area....
So you want Stammer to go out and fight Ericsson then?

E52 doesn't fight much, but when he does, the big swede can drop some bombs.

Nathan MacKinnon and Jamie Benn both tried the same thing earlier this season and it didn't turn out well for either one.
Both guys ended up getting their faces pummeled and still lost the game that night.

How many times has Zetterberg (or Datsyuk) gone out and started a fight to show they have heart or are good captains/leaders?

Starting a fight just because proves nothing other than he's an idiot for taking himself out of a playoff game. If he really wants to lead this team, he can do it by lighting the lamp a few times or making something happen for his linemates.

You don't think Chara can "drop some bombs"? Ok :laugh:

What I want is Stamkos to do is SOMETHING/ANYTHING he wasn't lighting up the lamp, he wasn't making anything happen for his linemates. He was fading into NOTHING. Not saying he needs to fight, but he can throw a big hit, get chippy with some players...Hell throw a trash can around between periods. A. N. Y. T. H. I. N. G. !!! To light a fire under this team.

Zetterberg and Datsyuk are lighting a fire under their team by doing those things(lightning the lamp). Datsyuk has been one fo the Wings best players. They aren't fading into nothing on the ice.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
You don't think Chara can "drop some bombs"? Ok :laugh:

What I want is Stamkos to do is SOMETHING/ANYTHING he wasn't lighting up the lamp, he wasn't making anything happen for his linemates. He was fading into NOTHING. Not saying he needs to fight, but he can throw a big hit, get chippy with some players...Hell throw a trash can around between periods. A. N. Y. T. H. I. N. G. !!! To light a fire under this team.

Zetterberg and Datsyuk are lighting a fire under their team by doing those things(lightning the lamp). Datsyuk has been one fo the Wings best players. They aren't fading into nothing on the ice.

There are different styles of leadership. You can boil it down to the Yzerman style of leadership and the Messier style of leadership. You could argue these were the two most intense competitors in the modern game. But they were very, very different in the way they led.

Messier was more about fiery explosions. There were stories of overturned tables and teammates grabbed by the collar. He would have a big fight, throw a big hit, and, if need be, he'd go out there and injure somebody. To make a statement. Yzerman wasn't about statements. Yzerman was more about a consistent intensity and willpower that other teams couldn't match, and that his own teammates fed off. You didn't see him fighting to spark his team--you saw him gutting it out like a dog in the corners though, never giving up on plays, etc etc etc.

Stamkos has often gone the Messier route, and we've applauded him for it. But it might not be in his DNA. Maybe he needs to lead by example rather than emotion. That's harder, because it's not a one-time burst, or some moment in the game. It's a constant thing, a visible effort. He has to play like he doesn't have an off switch.

IdealisticSniper

Nov 9, 2008
Because it was being done to them instead...

Detroit had 48 hits last night, compared to TB's 26.

Abdelkader (6 hits) and Brendan Smith (5 hits) played their first games of the series thus far, and brought a lot more physicality than the Wings had been bringing.

Callahan and Coburn were the only Lightning players hitting anything last night.

Please. Hits is one of the worst stats as it's completely subjective to the home town scorekeeper. And Detroits scorekeeper is horrendous for stats like that. They can't even count shots properly there.

Detroit was no more physical than TB last night. The game was relatively even with Detroit the slight edge. The difference was Detroit got the puck luck voices and TB didn't. Bottom line.

Kristia

Old folks home..
Mar 10, 2006
Tampa Bay Area....
Of course he does, but he plays for the Bruins. In case you haven't noticed, Tampa Bay is playing Detroit. Detroit's big guy is Ericsson.

Oh geez, thanks for that info a poor little southern female like me would have never known that Chara played for Boston without a northern male to tell me...Seeing how I've only been a hockey fan for 40+ years.:rolleyes:

Maybe if we get disgusted enough with Stamkos and won't pay him the hugh bucks...he just might go play for another team, like say the Toronto Maple Leafs. Wouldn't that just make everything perfect.:sarcasm:

I better stop before I get myself into trouble.

DarrylshutzSydor

Aug 9, 2007
California
Please. Hits is one of the worst stats as it's completely subjective to the home town scorekeeper. And Detroits scorekeeper is horrendous for stats like that. They can't even count shots properly there.

Detroit was no more physical than TB last night. The game was relatively even with Detroit the slight edge. The difference was Detroit got the puck luck voices and TB didn't. Bottom line.

I watched the entire game last night and Detroit WAY outhit the Bolts, not to mention sticked them and slashed them and interfered with them every chance they could get (with a ton of no calls by the the refs). Tampa needs to match their intensity and pick it up.

Volodya Krutov

Lost Cosmonaut
Jan 18, 2012
The lack of intensity with Tampa was obvious from the 3 first shifts. 2 minutes into the game I had a [very] bad feeling this wouldn't end well. Basically Tampa was in regular season mode when Detroit played textbook playoffs hockey. Gotta measure up to the standard boys, it's playoffs time.

Hockeyfan02

Oct 10, 2002
Pistivity
Visit site
If Bishop and the D are playing well, then how do you explain the sub .900 SV% ?

If the D is playing well, then I would argue that Bishop must not be.

It's a small sample size, on the last three goals given up two were deflections and the other a guy was all alone in front. I thought the third goal in game one had to be stopped but the other goals in this series have been deflections or grade A chances. Is he playing at some ridiculous high level like say Giguere in 03...no but I don't think he's been bad.

Rschmitz

Finding new ways to cheat
Feb 27, 2002
Tampa Bay
Young team needs to learn how to play playoff hockey. I'm not concerned about that, I'm concerned about Stamkos and Hedman. These two should be the guys leading the charge and taking over games and showing others how it's done. They've been to the ECF and know what's expected.

While Hedman hasn't played horrible and has had the job of babysitting Sustr(who has been strong so far), if Stamkos doesn't show up next game I'm pretty sure I will be dipping my toe into the grey area of whether he's worth what it will cost to give him a new contract.

It's something you really don't want to have to decide on, but do you want to give a Vincent Lecavalier-esque contract out to a non-playoff performer, who looks to be slipping during the regular season? Stamkos had some excellent junior stats in the playoffs too, his lack of success at this level is really confusing to me.

Now Stamkos, if you would be so kind as to notch a hat trick and dominate the rest of the series so I can feel like an idiot for these thoughts even crossing my mind. Would be greatly appreciated.

Rschmitz

Finding new ways to cheat
Feb 27, 2002
Tampa Bay
When the other team only musters two shots and your goalie only allows two goals, and you are the best offensive team during the regular season, you should win the game.

Defense/Tending is not the issue.

Hictor Vedman*

Unregistered Hedman
Sep 30, 2014
Ottawa
I seem to be the only person who hasn't given up on Stamkos yet. Which is ironic, because I wasn't convinced he was gonna live up to the hype initially when he was drafted.

Yes, he's playing extremely bad in the series so far, but it's three games played. Even if he continues to play like **** for the rest of this series, I still prefer this team with Stamkos than without.

zeykshade

May 27, 2011
Tannhauser Gate
I seem to be the only person who hasn't given up on Stamkos yet. Which is ironic, because I wasn't convinced he was gonna live up to the hype initially when he was drafted.

Yes, he's playing extremely bad in the series so far, but it's three games played. Even if he continues to play like **** for the rest of this series, I still prefer this team with Stamkos than without.

Sure, but I take Tavares, Backstrom, even Giroux instead at this point. Hell there are quite a few centers I'd take instead now. Not the case prior to his injury.

ThunderAlleyNomad

Aug 24, 2009

I haven't given up on him, but boy I'm starting to feel like I'm gonna have to eat some crow pretty soon here. He was good in game 2, invisible in game 1 and I didn't see last night. But he knows whats needed, he knows he had an off season, and he's still not bringing it on a regular basis.

I really don't want to see the kid tearing it up in TO and especially against the Lightning four or five times a season, but it's getting to the point that I don't want SFY discussing an extension this off-season. Give it another year and see what happens. You're not going to get good value in a trade anyway.

Hictor Vedman*

Unregistered Hedman
Sep 30, 2014
Ottawa
Sure, but I take Tavares, Backstrom, even Giroux instead at this point. Hell there are quite a few centers I'd take instead now. Not the case prior to his injury.
Where did Tavares come into play in this discussion? I know Stamkos and Tavares are of near/equal value, but I don't think either team would make such a trade.

I'd love to see Tavares and Hedman together, but not at the cost of Stamkos. He'll have a bounce back year, and we'll all forget about this. You just can't afford to get rid of a guy like that. Not unless Drouin comes out and scores 60 goals next year and Stamkos sits out for the entire year. And I don't think I need to emphasize how unlikely that would be.

dechire

TBL Stanley Cup Champs 2020 2021
Jul 8, 2014
inconnu
I'm not saying that we should dump Stamkos but I'm not ready to hand him a 12m contract on July 1st. We still have a year to sign him. He can earn that contract starting now and next season.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB

Pretty close between Stamkos and Johnson, really. Right now I'm holding out hope for Stamkos. But another year like this one, and it's Johnson for me.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad