GDT: 4/21/15 - 7:00PM EDT - #2 Tampa Bay @ #3 Detroit [ECQF GAME 3]

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Macho King

Back* to Back** World Champion
Jun 22, 2011
I'll say this though - I don't want to pay that ****ing bum 10 million bucks a year.

Bolto

?
Nov 3, 2006
Spring Hill, FL
Last nights game sucked but it ain't over till it's over....................................

We make smug comments when other teams fans freak out on this board after their team loses but we do the same when the Bolts have a bad night.

zeykshade

May 27, 2011
Tannhauser Gate
Down 2-1 ain't ****.

That said, our best players have to be our best players. The well known "Core" of our team has been invisible for the most part. Hedman and Stamkos are going to have to contribute offensively for the series to be evened up.

3 posts and 3 open nets...seriously, bury the chances ffs. Burn that 3rd line with napalm too.

Volodya Krutov

Lost Cosmonaut
Jan 18, 2012
Down 2-1 ain't ****.

That said, our best players have to be our best players. The well known "Core" of our team has been invisible for the most part. Hedman and Stamkos are going to have to contribute offensively for the series to be evened up.

3 posts and 3 open nets...seriously, bury the chances ffs. Burn that 3rd line with napalm too.

alien-sigourneyweaver-nuke-riley-orbit-1348491814r.gif

Leonardo87

New York Rangers, Anaheim Ducks, and TMNT fan.
Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Last nights game sucked but it ain't over till it's over....................................

We make smug comments when other teams fans freak out on this board after their team loses but we do the same when the Bolts have a bad night.

If we lose tomorrow, then will be freaking out a little, if we win tomorrow, we are 2-2 heading back to Tampa, and will have 2 home games, and only one road game left. So have to look at the brighter picture.

They need to be in beast mode tomorrow, give an extra effort, and Coop needs to bench whoever is not giving their all. I knew when they did not score on that 5 on 3 PP, they were done last night. You just cannot have an opportunity like that, not score, and expect to win the game. Detroit does not even have that great of a PK, that is what makes it even more mind boggling.

Vasilevskiy

The cat will be back
Dec 30, 2008
Barcelona
I just watched the game.
That was a pathetic offensive performance.

We deserve to lose the game. That simple.
How can you MISS 6 OR 7 PPS AGAIN?
how can they miss 3 open nets? 3 posts?

That was ****ing embarrasing. Where was the energy of game 2?
I don't even think Detroit played really good (was their best game easily tho)...

If we lose game 4 that might be the series, and it's a shame because we are a much better team than them.

Ah, and my regards to Stamkos, while Datsyuk has given them already 1 game we are still waiting for him to appear. You know you don't deserve a 10 million contract when Killorn outplays you in 3 straight games

Vasilevskiy

The cat will be back
Dec 30, 2008
Barcelona
I thought Coburn has been really good so far.
The bright thing of game 3.

I'm really dissapointed at some of our best players... Stamkos, Palat, Kucherov.... I expect better of them, especially the first two

Brie

bearer of bad news
Jul 5, 2014
It's weird, during last years playoffs we had the offense (well, maybe not in game 2 but the rest of them) but had no 'd' or goaltending, this time it seem to be the other way around, Bishop and the 'd' is playing well but now the offense is struggling, hopefully we can turn turn that around othervise maybe next season we'll be able to get both.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB

Oh for sure.

I'm definitely not saying the sky is falling, but last night was a little bit of a cause for concern though because it really looked to me (and maybe I'm wrong) like Coop got thoroughly out-coached. In a way that was visible. And it brings you back to our road record and wondering how much Coop's failure to adjust in-game was costing us on the road, where the opposing coach was getting last change and matching us up over and over, with Coop never throwing a curveball.

Which then leads me to remember the narrative that came out of last year's series vs. Montreal. I work online, so I listen to crazy amounts of TSN radio, and above and beyond the Lindback factor, Montreal media came out of that series believing Therrien out-coached Cooper. And Montreal fans do not have a high opinion of Therrien and went into that series thinking Coop was going to carve him up.

I still have a lot of faith in Coop. Still think he's a great coach and pretty much the perfect coach for our team. I don't want anyone to think I'm calling for his head or anything. It's just a bit of a pattern that might be there, might not be. He needs to prove, as much as the team, that he can win on the road.

Vasilevskiy

The cat will be back
Dec 30, 2008
Barcelona
And when will we get a REAL PP COACH?

It's been all season pathetic.
A team that has all the firepower that we have should be at 25% PP... that would mean at least 2 more PP goals in this series, and for sure another win

Bolt32

Aug 24, 2004
Palm Harbor, FL
I'll say this though - I don't want to pay that ****ing bum 10 million bucks a year.

He needs to earn his 7.5 mill first before we even consider paying him 10+ a year. We pay this guy 12 mill for playing like he is, we mise well kiss any hopes of a Stanley cup for the next decade good by barring some god like performance by our goaltender. By God like I mean one that would make Quick seem like a Peewee player with Cerebral palsy when he went and tore through the playoffs.

Kristia

Old folks home..
Mar 10, 2006
Tampa Bay Area....
If Stamkos is going to wear that C, he needs to take a page a Vinny's book. If your team can't get anything going. Go out and punch the biggest guy on the ice. Vinny when we were down went out and fought Chara, got his a** handed to him, but it fired up the team. Stamkos just sorta fades away and that is NOT a Captain.

Cooper can you not stand behind the bench chomping on your gum looking like a clueless idiot. :rant: If things aren't working in the first two periods, switch something up...change some lines around for a shift or two. Pull the goalie (tho, Bishop was not to blame for last night) Do SOMETHING anything to wake your team up.

He thought they played well?!?!?! CLUELESS When did Tampa become a dump and chase team? When have our defense not pinched in on plays? When did this team play safe hockey? When they have lost a game that's when. This team is better and faster than Detroit, there is NO reason for them to play it safe. :rant:

If they don't show up and lose Thursday, they are done.

2MinutesforGiraffing

angelsil on safari
Apr 2, 2013
Tampa
Montreal media came out of that series believing Therrien out-coached Cooper.

Cooper has admitted he was a bit lost last playoffs. He wasn't ready for the shift to playoff-level hockey.

Is part of our not so great road record due to Cooper's struggles with lines? It's hard not to wonder that.

I'd love to be a fly on the wall between periods during a game like last night. Who is bringing the fire to this team? I dunno, it just seemed to me like most of the team, and the coach, didn't have a lot of energy or passion to win. We don't need to return to the days of Torts or Boucher yelling their heads off, but a little emotion isn't always a bad thing for a team to possess.

TheDaysOf 04

[ 2 6 ] [ 4 ]
Jun 23, 2007
NJ
I agree on Sustr, he played the best game of his NHL career last night IMO.
Sustr has put together 2 very solid playoff games. #1 thing is he's making good decisions with the puck.

Next game is very big because you either go home 2-2 or 1-3 like vs NJ in 2007. Guys couldn't recover after losing the OT game back then.
Let's face It this team is not ready for a cup run yet

We don't have to be ready. I don't think Torts thought we'd win in 04.

The playoffs are such a roller coaster ride. Anything can happen.

Bolt32

Aug 24, 2004
Palm Harbor, FL
A few things...

Stamkos isn't the captain of this team. He wears the "C" but does nothing to actually live up to it. He is my favorite player and its painful to say it but he doesnt deserve to be captain. One moment in the season where he showed heart was when he went at Marchand, to say that is the only thing I remember him doing with heart in 82 games and 3 playoff games, is embarassing. He isn't the same player he once was and I dont think he ever will be again. He's not "done" by a longshot, he's still a top player but whatever it is mentally, it has taken a toll on him. He says he needs to be better but I dont think he can be. I feel like he knows that. He has his nights but he's sometimes our worst player...that's saying something when your captain is your worst player at times. 43 goals this year? What was he, a +1? Or even?

This team has no urgency, pedigree or heart. Paquette has heart but is playing like a trainwreck so that does nothing for us. Callahan gives us 100% on almost every night, like game 2, he is an incredible player. Boyle and Johnson are the only others I can think of that look like they give a damn.

Kucherov has been terrible. Palat has been terrible. Vlad, Filppula, Brown, etc have been terrible. Defense has been good, two fluke goals in this series and a couple bad breakdowns can be overturned by a team that plays with heart and actually wants it. Tampa unfortunately doesnt look like they want it. Cooper needs some help on his matchups and his powerplay, hats off to him and Yzerman putting us here but as a fan, I am disappointed in efforts like tonight.

82 game seasons aren't anything to ride home about, its the 16 wins you need afterwards. After what I saw tonight, I am convinced we dont have the group to do so. I dont believe Hedman and Stamkos will bring a cup to this town. This is not a reaction after one game, this is an observation of what they bring to the table, or what they dont. They aren't Marty or Vinny.

As far as Stamkos next year, 43 goals is a lot but its definitely replaceable with a 25 goal scorer and a TRUE #1 dman. I would part with him for that.

Kind of at a loss cause we've all seen this before. :(

I got a nagging feeling in my gut that you are right. I have been seeing the same thing....and yeah. I Fear this group may not have it. I'm willing to ride this out and see where it goes, just I don't think they have it in them.

Hugh Mongusbig

Mar 7, 2012
They need to be in beast mode tomorrow, give an extra effort, and Coop needs to bench whoever is not giving their all. I knew when they did not score on that 5 on 3 PP, they were done last night. You just cannot have an opportunity like that, not score, and expect to win the game. Detroit does not even have that great of a PK, that is what makes it even more mind boggling.

Detroit was one of the top 2-4 teams in PK% up until Howard injured himself. They called up Mrazek, who won plenty of games, but gave up a lot of goals doing so.... and then once Howard came back, the two net minders split the remaining games and both gave up quite a few goals, and the teams collective PK% dropped big time. They are a much better PK'ing team their their final #17 ranking would lead you to believe when their goalie is playing well, which Mrazek has this series.

Although, TB has not done themselves any favors by not getting any 2nd or 3rd chance oppertunities on the PP. They seem to struggle gaining the zone, and then struggle getting more than one or two chances per PP.

Hugh Mongusbig

Mar 7, 2012
It's weird, during last years playoffs we had the offense (well, maybe not in game 2 but the rest of them) but had no 'd' or goaltending, this time it seem to be the other way around, Bishop and the 'd' is playing well but now the offense is struggling, hopefully we can turn turn that around othervise maybe next season we'll be able to get both.

If Bishop and the D are playing well, then how do you explain the sub .900 SV% ?

If the D is playing well, then I would argue that Bishop must not be.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
Yeah the Wings needed someone to Step up, and look at that. Their Franchise player did. :laugh:

I think he might have had one of the most underrated careers in NHL history. When he's on top of his game and healthy, to this freakin day, I'm not sure if there's a better player in the NHL. He has the ability to dominate every facet of the game.

When Datsyuk's shooting from the slot, it's money. When he's tipping pucks, it's money. The Glendening goal, we can hang on Bishop for sure. But three of those goals were just Datsyuk doing what he does.

AlphaCatalyst

Elite Fan
Jun 27, 2007
Calgary
Common things being said in here.

1. Our top guys need to step up, especially Stamkos
2. Our power play need to stop being so terrible

Now imagine if Coop had an epiphany and put Stamkos on the dot while on the power play instead of the point.

Two problems solved, one solution.

Bolt32

Aug 24, 2004
Palm Harbor, FL
I think he might have had one of the most underrated careers in NHL history. When he's on top of his game and healthy, to this freakin day, I'm not sure if there's a better player in the NHL. He has the ability to dominate every facet of the game.

When Datsyuk's shooting from the slot, it's money. When he's tipping pucks, it's money. The Glendening goal, we can hang on Bishop for sure. But three of those goals were just Datsyuk doing what he does.

I have always felt the best way to Neutralize Datsyuk was to be extremely physical with him. Every time he touched the puck, hit him. Don't give him time and space. You give him time and space, he makes you look like an idiot.

MattM92

Dec 8, 2010
FL
We need to dress Drouin and sit Vladdy. Put Drouin on the 1st PP in place of Flip and put Killorn in front of the net. Stamkos needs to do the Ovechkin and drift around the zone until he finds a soft spot in the coverage. It's really not complicated.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad