Post-Game Talk: 4-1 for the good guys. Virtanens gets his first. The Kids Are Hot Tonight

vanuck

Now with 100% less Benning!
Dec 28, 2009
Good to see Virtanen get his 1st. Hopefully WD starts giving him more opportunities on offense (PP).

Still think Gaunce should have been in the lineup. Wanted to see Biega get in as well.

If playing in the SCF wasn't enough to get the Bruins going, then they shouldn't even be hockey players.

Yeah lol, this. To top it off the score was even 0-0 when the hit occurred.

Imo that goal was 'the' playoff goal in Canucks history. I know we've had longer playoff games, and we've won WCF series' in overtime, but the way he scored that goal to get past Chicago in game 7 and pave the way to the finals was special.

It was a huge goal - probably the biggest one in all my experience.

He

Jul 2, 2015
Winnipeg
Liked what I saw from all the kids last night, and it's nice to see Horvat finally get some luck coming his way.

tantalum

Hope for the best. Expect the worst
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2002
Missouri
The Kreider comparison is a good one and one I believe I've made before :)

If I had my choice though I'd gladly trade in some dirty play/pest play that Kreider has for more consistency in the other aspects of the game when it comes to Virtanen. Kreider still seems wildly inconsistent with his effort and results to me...and he'll turn 25 before the seasons end.

If Virtanen can bring what he brought last night on a consistent basis by the end of the season I dare say he has a good chance at being significantly better than Kreider is now...At least on the offensive side of the puck.

CanaFan

Feb 19, 2010
BC
The Kreider comparison is a good one and one I believe I've made before :)

If I had my choice though I'd gladly trade in some dirty play/pest play that Kreider has for more consistency in the other aspects of the game when it comes to Virtanen. Kreider still seems wildly inconsistent with his effort and results to me...and he'll turn 25 before the seasons end.

If Virtanen can bring what he brought last night on a consistent basis by the end of the season I dare say he has a good chance at being significantly better than Kreider is now...At least on the offensive side of the puck.

Agree with this. While Kreider is a good 'stylistic' comparison, it doesn't mean Jake will be exactly the same player. Jake is playing in the NHL far earlier than Kreider did (as is typical for US collegiate players) so hopefully that gives Jake an edge in terms of developing sooner and maybe a bit higher ceiling. But they do have similar physical tools and are at their best when they play a simple 'skate and shoot' game where they attack the net with speed.

Of course I think it will take Jake a while to play this game at a consistent level game in, game out. But the value of keeping him up this year rather than return to jr is he can get a head start at developing that consistency by being around guys like Burrows who can mentor Jake in learning good habits that lead to better consistency.

Peen

Rejoicing in a Benning-free world
Oct 6, 2013
Sedins need to get going on the scoreboard

Has been a while since they've been performing well but haven't been able to get on the scoresheet

thepuckmonster

Professional Winner.
Oct 25, 2011
Vancouver
Machinehead, Officer Friendly or Aufheben should weigh in on the Virtanen-Kreider comparison, they will know the best.

Paging NYR mods.

y2kcanucks

Le Sex God
Aug 3, 2006
Surrey, BC
Ditto, the flyers were a tire fire.

Now that's a team with incompetent management. How much money are they going to continue waste in buying out their past mistakes? How much money are they going to waste burying their other mistakes in the minors? They're a cap team but one of the bottom teams int he league.

Ryp37

Nov 6, 2011
There was a large portion of that 1st period where the game was just an absolute bore, looked like a bad news bear game

thepuckmonster

Professional Winner.
Oct 25, 2011
Vancouver
Now that's a team with incompetent management. How much money are they going to continue waste in buying out their past mistakes? How much money are they going to waste burying their other mistakes in the minors? They're a cap team but one of the bottom teams int he league.

Yeah. I mean we're not in the best situation but we basically look like management Gods compared to what Holmgren did to that team.

Ozone

Jan 19, 2013
Morning skate:

Maybe Baertschi is sitting on Wednesday? Hmmm.

Addison Rae

Jun 2, 2009
Vancouver

Has been a while since they've been performing well but haven't been able to get on the scoresheet

Henrik had 1 point last night
Both had a point against Phoenix
2 points for Daniel against Dallas and 1 point for Henrik

Addison Rae

Jun 2, 2009
Vancouver

Ex Officer Friendly

Got Nothin To Say
Apr 27, 2012
New York, NY
So I'm a fan of both teams and I could say why Jake and Krieder have similar styles they aren't similar players... Krieder is a good player and he hits like a truck while Jake throws the body around its not as big, honestly I see Virtanen with a better shot, I think he'd be more of a sniperish player with a mean streak than Krieder who is a power forward with a mean streak.

deckercky

Oct 27, 2010
So I'm a fan of both teams and I could say why Jake and Krieder have similar styles they aren't similar players... Krieder is a good player and he hits like a truck while Jake throws the body around its not as big, honestly I see Virtanen with a better shot, I think he'd be more of a sniperish player with a mean streak than Krieder who is a power forward with a mean streak.

Virtanen probably hits as big, but Krieder hits dirty. That's where the comparison falls apart.

DFAC

Jan 19, 2008

Sedins should've had a lot more points last night against a god awful Philly defence.

A couple of years ago the Sedins would've netted a few points each (a la against Edmonton)

Ex Officer Friendly

Got Nothin To Say
Apr 27, 2012
New York, NY
Virtanen probably hits as big, but Krieder hits dirty. That's where the comparison falls apart.

Lol k He's not dirty some would lead you to believe he is satans spawn but he isn't as bad as some would like you to think.

Admittedly some of his hits have been bad but he's not on the Torres Cooke level of dirty

Huggy

Respectful Handshake
Jul 22, 2014
Vancouver
Sedins should've had a lot more points last night against a god awful Philly defence.

A couple of years ago the Sedins would've netted a few points each (a la against Edmonton)

Was just thinking to myself we need to score 7 goals a night to know were strong.

Nope

Pip

Feb 2, 2012
Granduland
Lol k He's not dirty some would lead you to believe he is satans spawn but he isn't as bad as some would like you to think.

Admittedly some of his hits have been bad but he's not on the Torres Cooke level of dirty

Just because you aren't as bad as Torres or Cooke doesn't mean you aren't dirty.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014

According to WD in the post-game scrum, not a single forward played more than 15 minutes, and nobody less than 10 minutes....would make any House Leaguer proud.:handclap:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad