Post-Game Talk: 4-1 for the good guys. Virtanens gets his first. The Kids Are Hot Tonight

BenningHurtsMySoul

Unfair Huggy Bear
Mar 18, 2008
Port Coquitlam, BC
Thought Hutton had a weaker game, but that's to be expected from a rookie who holds onto the puck as much as he does. Don't have an issue living with the odd fumble and I'm sure he'll improve in that regard. Generally he's been outstanding.

That one rush where he broke up the play in the neutral zone and rushed across the line on the right side was all-world. Keith-esque

He has as much potential for a rookie Canucks dman as we've seen in a long time

Breakers

Make Mirrored Visors Legal Again
Aug 5, 2014
Denver Colorado
Tbh I'm still not over 2011

How I feel whenever someone brings it up

tumblr_nmel9i6inW1qj4315o1_500.gif

I still blame Aaron Rome, after that hit the entire series shifted.

Both Lucic and Chara said it was the turning point.

DFAC

Jan 19, 2008
I still blame Aaron Rome, after that hit the entire series shifted.

Both Lucic and Chara said it was the turning point.

Agreed 100%. It gave them something to play for because up til then we had all the momentum.

Oh and Hamhuis getting hurt at the end of game 2 was a turning point imo.

:rant: :rant: :rant:

BenningHurtsMySoul

Unfair Huggy Bear
Mar 18, 2008
Port Coquitlam, BC
**** Aaron Rome. Absolutely ******** time to make a hit like that. The Bruins were waiting for something to get them going and we gave it right to them because of a #6 dman who wanted to be on SportsCenter.

PG Canuck

Mar 29, 2010
I really feel like all the youth being injected into our lineup has injected some life into our veterans - to come to the rink everyday and be excited again. I don't know. This is just extremely rare for the Canucks, to have so much youth, bringing so much to the table.

It's a shame, our record could be near the Habs had we not blwon leads last month.

Billy Kvcmu

Dec 5, 2014
West Vancouver
Tbh I'm still not over 2011

How I feel whenever someone brings it up

tumblr_nmel9i6inW1qj4315o1_500.gif

Lol that's exactly like me, give or take a 2~3 lbs

I'm still not over yet, it just feels like we'll never win a cup.
or more like a canadian team will never win a cup because of marketing reason, i know this is a stupid theory but...4 different canadian teams had made it to the final last 11 years, 3 of them made it to G7 and none of them win a cup. That's stupid.

DFAC

Jan 19, 2008
fav movie

yup, great movie. i recommend everyone who hasn't seen it to give it a try

last off topic note but curious if you think the ending was a happy or sad one? my friends and i always debate this, i think its a happy one and they do not. thoughts anyone???

back on topic afetr this i swear

Addison Rae

Jun 2, 2009
Vancouver
I don't agree with the anti Canadian idea, but the Canucks were absolutely shafted in terms of officiating for a number of years. People can see it as whining but they were the best possession team in hockey (meaning they had the puck a lot) but had the worst PP differential in the league for many years. It was terrible, terrible stuff.

Breakers

Make Mirrored Visors Legal Again
Aug 5, 2014
Denver Colorado
I'm still not over yet, it just feels like we'll never win a cup.
or more like a canadian team will never win a cup because of marketing reason, i know this is a stupid theory but...4 different canadian teams had made it to the final last 11 years, 3 of them made it to G7 and none of them win a cup. That's stupid.

Buffalo entered the league the same year as us, and they have won nothing.

St Louis entered earlier and they haven't won either.

other teams are going through what we are going through. The capitals as well.

Addison Rae

Jun 2, 2009
Vancouver
yup, great movie. i recommend everyone who hasn't seen it to give it a try

last off topic note but curious if you think the ending was a happy or sad one? my friends and i always debate this, i think its a happy one and they do not. thoughts anyone???

back on topic afetr this i swear

it's debatable, I thought summer was absolutely terrible for Tom so I thought the ending was pretty good especially considering Lyla from Friday Night Lights (if you haven't watched this you should, bar none the best TV show I've watched) was in at the end :D

Addison Rae

Jun 2, 2009
Vancouver
Man the Flyers are such a mess. Their blue line gives the Oilers a run for their money.

Luckily for them they have Provorov (fav prospect in last years draft) and Sanheim in the system. I agree that they're a gigantic mess, but I honestly haven't minded Hextall, I think he's done a pretty good job.

DFAC

Jan 19, 2008
Can you imagine someone saying this kid from the ECHL would play 700 games? Not to mention be a 35 goal scorer, and put up a 0.5 point per game pace?

Guy worked his ass off to get to where he is today. Perfect type of player to mentor the young kids. Not to mention arguable the biggest goal for the Canucks in a long time

Still gives me chills man

One day my friends.....one day........

Edit: he scored both goals that game??? CLUTCH

Intangibos

High-End Intangibos
Apr 5, 2010
Burnaby
And score huge goals in a SCF run?

Imo that goal was 'the' playoff goal in Canucks history. I know we've had longer playoff games, and we've won WCF series' in overtime, but the way he scored that goal to get past Chicago in game 7 and pave the way to the finals was special.

Reverend Mayhem

Lowly Serf/Reluctant Cuckold
Feb 15, 2009
Port Coquitlam, BC
Agreed 100%. It gave them something to play for because up til then we had all the momentum.

Oh and Hamhuis getting hurt at the end of game 2 was a turning point imo.

:rant: :rant: :rant:

Something to play for? They were in the Cup Finals. :laugh:

Hammer got hurt during game 1. I was there. One of the few times you could hear the energy of a single hit. It was crazy.

Intangibos

High-End Intangibos
Apr 5, 2010
Burnaby
I love Hutton, I love Horvat, I love Gillis

I love McCann too, though, and while I wanted Ehlers and Nylander ahead of McVirtanen, I hope he can carve out a solid top 6 career for us. He has the tools if he can just put them together.

I liked Baertschi's game tonight as well. I had a major argument with my dad about him because he said Baertschi has had enough time to prove himself. I said he's scored at a 40 point pace in the past and has only played like 9 games with us, and also doesn't cost us defensively. He said he's in his 20s so it doesn't matter he needs to produce now. I said I'll remember that when Gaunce gets 9 games and doesn't put up a top 6 pace. He went bananas. So it's awesome for Baertschi to put up a good game :D

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
Hutton had an iffy game today. Too many times he got caught trying to move the puck out his zone. Luckily the Flyers are ass and could not capitalize.

I don't know if i'd even call it "iffy", but there were definitely some rough edges showing tonight for Hutton. I think a big part of that is in the puck battles he found himself in...Weber just doesn't do much to help out with that stuff. And while Hutton does have good size for it, he's still very much learning how to battle in the NHL.

When it comes to having the puck on his stick, he's still just stupid good for a rookie. Really is shades of Tanev in that regard, the poise and ability to find the right play with the puck. Seems to process situations so quickly, pretty remarkable. Though i'd say he already looks a lot more creative and assertive with the puck, much more offensive-minded than even the Tanev of today. Where he's not quite "rookie-Tanev-level" is in taking the puck away from opposing players. He's still very respectable in that regard for a rookie...but it's not his strongest suit right now. I know many will be loathe to admit it, but i think that's really where Sbisa actually has something to offer at Hutton's side over Weber who is still very weak and reluctant in that regard (Bart as well).

I wanna see a skating race between Hansen and Virtanen. Make it happen in this year's skill compitition.

The most striking thing with Virtanen isn't even just the "top speed", it's the ability to just turn on the afterburners out of nowhere and change up speed that can really throw defenders off their gaps.

He's basically a clone of Chris Kreider and his goal tonight was a textbook Kreider goal.

Pretty much. And if Virtanen ends up being pretty much a Kreider clone...that'd be a very respectable 6th pick. Especially if he manages to come along a couple years earlier. Has that same sort of potential to impact the game outside of counting points numbers. If he can land in that Kreider territory of solid 2nd line production with the physical and speed-related space creating element to his game...that's a rare and very difficult to acquire player.

Tonight, looked like maybe a bit of a weight lifted from his shoulders. Looked more loose and a bit more confident. Hope he can keep building on that, 'cause tonight he played a very effective and very entertaining game...and if he can keep that up and build on it, i have no qualms at all in keeping him around.

Good step forward for Baertschi today. Should very well be a confidence booster after sitting out.

I thought it was a solid step forward. Showed a bit more initiative with the puck, trying to do something more than just move it out ASAP. Still had real issues fighting off physical play in the offensive end, but clearly made a more concerted effort to have a go at it. A small handful of really nice little plays to show for his efforts tonight.

Still faded into the woodwork for good stretches of the game. Though i think that's really just a bit of a feature of the type of game Baertschi plays. Something of the antithesis of what Virtanen can offer.

Man the Flyers are such a mess. Their blue line gives the Oilers a run for their money.

It really isn't pretty.

They have a ton of really promising youth coming along though. Provorov, Sanheim, Morin are all guys to be really excited about...but they're definitely out of phase with where their forward group is at right now.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad