Post-Game Talk: 4-1 for the good guys. Virtanens gets his first. The Kids Are Hot Tonight

BigTruzz

Jul 19, 2011
Surrey
Good step forward for Baertschi today. Should very well be a confidence booster after sitting out.

Billy Kvcmu

Dec 5, 2014
West Vancouver
No clue, I was just looking up his stats, in 2013 he had 20 goals in Buffalo......that's when I was worried we lost that trade, then the next year he had 6 (and 7 assists) and now hes got 1 apple in 11 games......

Cant see him in the NHL after this year, unless a miracle happens

Seriously though, who won that trade.....I'll we both lose it.

Peen

Rejoicing in a Benning-free world
Oct 6, 2013
If you played for the canucks - what would your goal song be?

Mine -
holding-hotline-bling.gif

CanaFan

Feb 19, 2010
BC
Yeah, I like the Kreider comparison a lot. Not exactly the home run you want with the highest pick in over a decade, but a solid middle 6 guy with tenacity isn't exactly the worst thing.

Well it's a stylistic comparison mainly and even Kreider isn't finished developing so who really knows what that 'ceiling' is. My take is that Jake will be a 20-30 goal guy in most healthy years (not right away but after a couple years) depending on how he progresses, linemates, deployment, etc. It is likely that he won't end up being the absolute 'best' player whom we could have taken at #6 - it seems likely that will end up being Larkin or maybe Nylander - but it's still a solid pick and one that can help this team a lot.

Of course that's just my take and for all I know he could still exceed or fall short of those levels.

Jimson Hogarth*

Nov 21, 2013
Virtanen is gonna be 5x the agitator and physical presence Kreider is going to be, if his 1st month is any indication

McHortton

Accidental Tank 2016
Jun 28, 2013
Vancouver
I don't know why but when Tanev jumped into the slot off that give-and-go with Edler, I thought that was a really cool moment.

Because Tanev is showing offensive prowess, It's beautiful! Just needs to work on his shot.

Unless he's still super stubborn about rookies, I think we see

Sedin - Sedin - Vrbata
Baertschi - Horvat - Hansen
Virtanen - Sutter - Burrows
Higgins - McCann - Dorsett

This is also beautiful. We can really roll 4 solid lines.

Once Baertschi gains some confidence and starts showing chemistry with Horvat I think you have to reunite "TKL" (The Kid Line). Also by that time Virtanen should have more confidence and be ready for a more offenisve role. Then you can have a legit shutdown line in Higgins - Sutter - Burrows.

a Fool

Emperor has no picks
Mar 14, 2014
Virtanen is gonna be 5x the agitator and physical presence Kreider is going to be, if his 1st month is any indication

I'm sure he'll reach Jarkko Ruutu levels as he gets more comfortable. Already taking pot shots at Giroux and hitting guys hard and late.

Addison Rae

Jun 2, 2009
Vancouver
Well it's a stylistic comparison mainly and even Kreider isn't finished developing so who really knows what that 'ceiling' is. My take is that Jake will be a 20-30 goal guy in most healthy years (not right away but after a couple years) depending on how he progresses, linemates, deployment, etc. It is likely that he won't end up being the absolute 'best' player whom we could have taken at #6 - it seems likely that will end up being Larkin or maybe Nylander - but it's still a solid pick and one that can help this team a lot.

Of course that's just my take and for all I know he could still exceed or fall short of those levels.

When you look at players selected at 6th over the past ~10 years that list isn't nearly as eye popping as one would think. If Virtanen can develop into a 50 point player with a good physical game, it's far from a bad pick, but like you suggested the players around him are who we're going to compare him too. If Virtanen can develop into a guy like Kreider and churn out good 2nd line results I'll be happy about his development.

Addison Rae

Jun 2, 2009
Vancouver

Chris Kreider might be the most hated player in his conference, so I don't know if that's possible.

edit - I swear to god I literally agree with MS on everything, my god.

jd22

Aug 16, 2008
Texel, Netherlands
So I was at the game, my first one since 2011. The first 10 minutes of the 2nd were dreadful by the Canucks, but other than that, good game.

I'm not sure what people are saying with Bart having a 'good game'. I thought he was horrible, he made several giveaways, lost his position, and just general ineptitude. I'm almost annoyed he got an EN at the end because it props up his stats.

The crowd was so stoked for Jake. Not as stoked as Burrows and Sutter, but still pretty crazy. Louder than any of the other goals.

In other news... there were a fair amount of empty seats. I managed to snag some for below face value.

Ernie

Aug 3, 2004
He's basically a clone of Chris Kreider and his goal tonight was a textbook Kreider goal.

You can say they have a similar style, but I think saying they're the same player is a little off base. Virtanen is doing really tough things for a player of his age to do. Kreider was much older when he broke into the NHL.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad