3rd overall pick

Who would you pick with the 3rd overall pick in the 2019 draft?

• Total voters

Shaman464

No u
May 1, 2009
Boston, MA
Tough choice. In my very limited viewings I haven't seen much to seperate Dach, Cozens and Byram. So I went with Byram as I think he could be ideal, all-situations 1D we've been looking for, and we're better set at C with Larkin, Veleno and Rasmussen. But like I said. My viewings are limites and these guys are all neck and neck for me.

Rasmussen is almost certainly going to be a career winger. Veleno still likely projects as a third line center. This still leaves Detroit with major problems down the middle.

Reactions: Fire Ken Holland

bellringer77

Nov 14, 2017
The three I would be picking between. A high end, big center or a potential number one D. Lots of time between now and then though. Would be disappointed with Podzlokin. Good player but at some point you can just keep taking wingers. If they didnt take Zadina last year early I might look at that a little differently

I agree completely. I'm not too interested in getting another winger. But getting a top end D prospect really intrigues me

Kingpin794

Smart A** In A Jersey
Apr 25, 2012
209 at the Van

To me it's Hughes, Kakko and then a lot of guys that aren't separated by much. Cozens, Turcotte, Dach, others are all basically on the same level. We could leverage our position if say there's a team that REALLY wants a particular player at 3, move down and still get someone as good as who would have taken at 3.

Reactions: 14ari13

14ari13

Oct 19, 2006
Norway
To me it's Hughes, Kakko and then a lot of guys that aren't separated by much. Cozens, Turcotte, Dach, others are all basically on the same level. We could leverage our position if say there's a team that REALLY wants a particular player at 3, move down and still get someone as good as who would have taken at 3.
What do we get then?

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
Great in theory, if that's really how their draft board looks. But then it's getting a team to pony up for the swap.

I mean, if Detroit's sitting at 3, and say the team at 5 will give you a 2nd rounder and a 4th rounder to swap, yeah, that's great value, and you're still probably getting a guy you love at 5.

But I don't anticipate a willing trade partner, when many other teams probably view 3-7 as close.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010

Cozens is not far off of Kakko to me. I would take him at 3 without any debate. He’s a near perfect fit for Detroit in my opinion.

Kingpin794

Smart A** In A Jersey
Apr 25, 2012
209 at the Van
Great in theory, if that's really how their draft board looks. But then it's getting a team to pony up for the swap.

I mean, if Detroit's sitting at 3, and say the team at 5 will give you a 2nd rounder and a 4th rounder to swap, yeah, that's great value, and you're still probably getting a guy you love at 5.

But I don't anticipate a willing trade partner, when many other teams probably view 3-7 as close.

Just as an example, say we trade down to 9, looking at 2010-2015 (too early to judge 16 and beyond), we still have a good chance at getting someone of equal value or near equal at 9 as 3.

Eric Gudbranson
Mikael Granlund

Johnathan Huberdeau
Dougie Hamilton

Alex Galchenyuck
Jacob Trouba

Johnathan Drouin
Bo Horvat

Leon Draisaitl
Nikolaj Ehlers

Dylan Strome
Timo Meier

There isn't a clear cut 3. Trade down if we aren't 1 or 2.

kliq

Dec 17, 2017
2017 was all about Nico or Nolan, and now we know that it was someone #5

I see your point with Elias, he definitely was the gem, but that was a wierd class. I remember the entire year leading up to the draft the knock was how weak the top of the draft looked. It was more of a case of Elias breaking out opposed to the others busting or under achieving.

Rzombo4 prez

May 17, 2012
Cozens is not far off of Kakko to me. I would take him at 3 without any debate. He’s a near perfect fit for Detroit in my opinion.

I think he is actually the safest of the bunch, but not in a bad way. With the combination of athleticism, size and IQ he is absolutely going to be a really good NHL player. I do think there are some players with slightly more (or significantly more) skill in the poll or that compliment our system a bit better. Does the additional skill = upside? Hard to say in my opinion. Sometimes it does, sometimes it doesn't. I do think athleticism + skating + IQ goes really far in this game. Just look at Larkin.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
I think he is actually the safest of the bunch, but not in a bad way. With the combination of athleticism, size and IQ he is absolutely going to be a really good NHL player. I do think there are some players with slightly more (or significantly more) skill in the poll or that compliment our system a bit better. Does the additional skill = upside? Hard to say in my opinion. Sometimes it does, sometimes it doesn't. I do think athleticism + skating + IQ goes really far in this game. Just look at Larkin.

He’s one of those guys where I love the floor but also love the ceiling.

Also he’s very skinny for his height. So to me, he has room for improvement to get stronger and put on weight, which is crazy when you think of how effective he is already.

He’s not a pure skill guy like I usually gravitate towards... but he’s got size, got a hell of a shot, he’s smart, and he has underrated hands. If he fills out more and gets more confidence with the puck, I think he can really take off as a player.

Reactions: jkutswings
Jul 30, 2005
I mean, what is location, really
I agree. And even then, Cozens is ripping it up in the WHL this year. I have to think the skill argument is losing its luster.

Plus, the Wings are not really known for putting raw skill first. They didn't do it with Larkin, and more recently with Rasmussen. Veleno wasn't really an upside pick at the time, either. His ceiling was still in question at that point.

HisNoodliness

The Karate Kid and ASP Kai
Jun 29, 2014
Toronto
Rasmussen is almost certainly going to be a career winger. Veleno still likely projects as a third line center. This still leaves Detroit with major problems down the middle.

I still project Rasmussen as a 3C personally (I don't see him as a top 6 forward at C or W, but think he can handle 3C just fine). With Veleno's production this year, there's no reason to say he can't very reasonably end up a 2C. And even if he's a 3C and Rasmussen is on his wing, we still have way more at C than we do at D. Not to mention having a pretty good cast of wingers, and W prospects that make our forwards as a whole way better than our D.

I'm not convinced Cholo or Hronek will ever belong on a top line, and they're all we've got for defenseman that project to play in the top-4 at all. Best case scenario where one is a 1b and the other a 2a... We're still short a 1a and a 2b.

All of this being said, I'd be really happy going home with Dach or Cozens if our scouts think they're better prospects than Byram. Either would solidify center ice for us and could very reasonably end up better than anyone on the Wings right now. I don't think that they're better, so our needs tipped the scales in Byram's favor.

Rzombo4 prez

May 17, 2012
I agree. And even then, Cozens is ripping it up in the WHL this year. I have to think the skill argument is losing its luster.

Plus, the Wings are not really known for putting raw skill first. They didn't do it with Larkin, and more recently with Rasmussen. Veleno wasn't really an upside pick at the time, either. His ceiling was still in question at that point.

Upside of Taking Cozens:

1. High IQ
2. Very good, explosive skater for his size
3. Great size and length
4. Projects well as a center at the pro level (see 1 and 2 above)
5. Plays a very mature game already that should naturally translate to the pro level
6. Good goal scoring instincts and shot
7. Compliments our system well in that he is a big-bodied center

Downside of Taking Cozens:

8. Does not possess elite puck skills
9. Does not compliment our system in that he is not necessarily a playmaker-first type of center

Lots to like about the kid for sure. I picked Turcotte over him in the poll not so much because of 8, but because of 9, though I may be totally out to lunch on that.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Upside of Taking Cozens:

1. High IQ
2. Very good, explosive skater for his size
3. Great size and length
4. Projects well as a center at the pro level (see 1 and 2 above)
5. Plays a very mature game already that should naturally translate to the pro level
6. Good goal scoring instincts and shot
7. Compliments our system well in that he is a big-bodied center

Downside of Taking Cozens:

8. Does not possess elite puck skills
9. Does not compliment our system in that he is not necessarily a playmaker-first type of center

Lots to like about the kid for sure. I picked Turcotte over him in the poll not so much because of 8, but because of 9, though I may be totally out to lunch on that.

I’d disagree on him not complementing our system. I think after Hughes/Kakko he is the best fit out there for what we need.

He is exactly what we need on the PP, as far as a right hand shot that is an option for the one timer and his scoring ability.

I think right now he is not a high level playmaker, but he does have the hockey IQ. I think he is similar to Larkin in that with his skating and hockey IQ he can become a much better playmaker in a few years when he gets stronger on the puck.

I don’t see anything about him keeping him from being a 30-30 or 40-40 guy, but I’m also driving the bus pretty hard on Team Cozens. I do have Turcotte at #4 as my next guy FWIW.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
I take all of the guys listed except Byram infront of Kakko...

My choice here would be Dach, but Cozens might close that down for me. I was higher on Cozens a while back, but I see a superior passer in Dach. He reminds me a ton of Getzlaf and Jumbo Joe. Drive the net with your stick on the ice and this guy will make you rich. We have those kind of players on the team and he gives us a massive right hander that opens up ice for everyone around him.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
I take all of the guys listed except Byram infront of Kakko...

My choice here would be Dach, but Cozens might close that down for me. I was higher on Cozens a while back, but I see a superior passer in Dach. He reminds me a ton of Getzlaf and Jumbo Joe. Drive the net with your stick on the ice and this guy will make you rich. We have those kind of players on the team and he gives us a massive right hander that opens up ice for everyone around him.

Podkolzin over Kakko... ?

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
I think I'm ideologically a Dach-guy. Even though if I would know Cozens would be a slightly better individual. I'd still pick Dach.

Great playmakers (like thornton/getzlaf/datsyuk) affect more on team-scoring, even with mediocre players. That works better in a cap world. You can put Dach with Abdelkader and Helm, and still have a line.

Reactions: turkleton85

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
Podkolzin over Kakko... ?

I would need to make sure he would come fairly quickly. There is the KHL hold up and him being owned by SKA worries me. But yeah, I like his game more than Kakko in terms of top winger on my board. I am curious if we see both at the World Championships.

I am not high on Kakko, I have him in my top 10 but I am not that into him. I know I differ from most there, but I like other guys in this draft in terms of ceiling more and I like them more as players. I get that it is a strange take, but occasionally I am just not that into a player. Frk It you probably remember I didn't like Bennett or Reinhart a ton. I am not always sold on some of the golden boy players. Now I think Kakko will be a very good NHL player, if we wind up with him I hope he is everything a lot of posters are hoping for. I am just hesitant on him when I see him. I see a very good NHL player though to be sure, but I guess I don't feel as strongly on him as I do some other players.

Last edited:

KJoe88

Forever Lost.
May 18, 2012
Trenton, MI
Curious.

Would people be pissed as all hell if Holland passed up on either of the centers and picked Byram and #3?

I personally like Kakko more than Hughes (been doing a bit of research lately). I like Kakko’s game and I’ve read that he could play center even though he’s listed as a wing. Apparently he’s the most NHL ready too and has had a really great showing as of late. I do think Hughes has tremendous more IQ though. And his skating is wonderful. Kakko just seems to be more... steady.

To me it’s:

1) Kakko/Hughes
3) Cozens
4) Dach
5) Byram

6) Turcotte

Podkolzin scares me because of the whole doesn’t want to leave until he wants/ready thing.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad