3rd overall pick

Who would you pick with the 3rd overall pick in the 2019 draft?

• Total voters

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
Curious.

Would people be pissed as all hell if Holland passed up on either of the centers and picked Byram and #3?

I personally like Kakko more than Hughes (been doing a bit of research lately). I like Kakko’s game and I’ve read that he could play center even though he’s listed as a wing. Apparently he’s the most NHL ready too and has had a really great showing as of late. I do think Hughes has tremendous more IQ though. And hisbskating is wonderful. Kakko just seems to be more... steady.

To me it’s:

Kakko/Hughes
Cozens
Dach
Byram

Turcotte

Podkolzin scares me because of the whole doesn’t want to leave until he wants/ready thing.

3rd overall would be pretty rich for me with the centers likely to be available at #3.

I would hope to move down a couple slots if that is their player choice. Byram is a very good D-man though. But if we are committed to D we could slide back, the two Swedes and York also offer a lot of upside in this draft in my opinion.

KJoe88

Forever Lost.
May 18, 2012
Trenton, MI
3rd overall would be pretty rich for me with the centers likely to be available at #3.

I would hope to move down a couple slots if that is their player choice. Byram is a very good D-man though. But if we are committed to D we could slide back, the two Swedes and York also offer a lot of upside in this draft in my opinion.

Soderstrom and Broberg?

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
Soderstrom and Broberg?

I like both a lot. I don't think we are picking D early this year though. I expect one of the centers to be our pick.

Broberg is a ridiculous skater, I am partial to those kind of prospects. The trait in the Cozens and Dach debate that I easily give to Cozens is skating in terms of I do like that aspect of Cozens game the most.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
I would need to make sure he would come fairly quickly. There is the KHL hold up and him being owned by SKA worries me. But yeah, I like his game more than Kakko in terms of top winger on my board. I am curious if we see both at the World Championships.

I am not high on Kakko, I have him in my top 10 but I am not that into him. I know I differ from most there, but I like other guys in this draft in terms of ceiling more and I like them more as players. I get that it is a strange take, but occasionally I am just not that into a player. Frk It you probably remember I didn't like Bennett or Reinhart a ton. I am not always sold on some of the golden boy players. Now I think Kakko will be a very good NHL player, if we wind up with him I hope he is everything a lot of posters are hoping for. I am just hesitant on him when I see him. I see a very good NHL player though to be sure, but I guess I don't feel as strongly on him as I do some other players.

I don’t really get it, but I won’t beat you up over it.

23 pts in 29 Liiga games and the dominance in international tournaments is not something I can ignore or discredit... not without any noticeable flaws. Guys from Finland are hitting pretty good right now too, so maybe that is factoring into this for me... I don’t know.

Ive told you this before, I don’t really see how we can walk away with a winger and feel good about the state of this rebuild (unless his name is Hughes). So while I think Kakko and Podkolzin are really good players, for us and where we are, I don’t know if I could take either over Cozens or Turcotte. I’ve actually cooled over Dach a bit. His skating gives me pause a little bit.

Reactions: jkutswings

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL

23 pts in 29 Liiga games and the dominance in international tournaments is not something I can ignore or discredit... not without any noticeable flaws. Guys from Finland are hitting pretty good right now too, so maybe that is factoring into this for me... I don’t know.

Ive told you this before, I don’t really see how we can walk away with a winger and feel good about the state of this rebuild (unless his name is Hughes). So while I think Kakko and Podkolzin are really good players, for us and where we are, I don’t know if I could take either over Cozens or Turcotte. I’ve actually cooled over Dach a bit. His skating gives me pause a little bit.

I like Dach's stride a decent amount, I think his skating will improve. I know that is dicey and didn't happen with guys like Ouellet. But I think he is going to be a fine skater and will round into form, his ability to see the ice is what impresses me the most though. I wouln't draft either Kakko or Podkolzin really, they just don't fit a need for our organization.I would have more time for it if either guy was a right-handed winger, wouldn't be sky high on it, but hey you could argue we added a top 6 talent with a right shot and we need that. If Hughes ultimately does wind up out on the wing he is the kind that drives play on a Marner, Kucherov, Johhny Hockey and Patrick Kane level.

Finland has some notable problems too in there. Really happy to see this golden generation for Finalnd though (I really think the USA is in one as well, it is nice to see some of these youth programs pay off) and I missed on Rantanen, I liked him but not enough. He is actually the guy giving me pause on Kakko and why I am not committed to him staying lower than the other guys. But I like these centers this year, I really do.

Last edited:

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
I like Dach's stride a decent amount, I think his skating will improve. I know that is dicey and didn't happen with guys like Ouellet. But I think he is going to be a fine skater and will round into form, his ability to see the ice is what impresses me the most though. I wouln't draft either Kakko or Podkolzin really, they just don't fit a need for our organization.I would have more time for it if either guy was a right-handed winger, wouldn't be sky high on it, but hey you could argue we added a top 6 talent with a right shot and we need that. If Hughes ultimately does wind up out on the Wing he is the kind that drives play on a Marner, Kucherov, Johhny Hockey and Patrick Kane level.

Finland has some notable problems too in there. Really happy to see this golden generation for Finalnd though (I really think the USA is in one as well, it is nice to see some of these youth programs pay off) and I missed on Rantanen, I liked him but not enough. He is actually the guy giving me pause on Kakko and why I am not committed to him staying lower than the other guys. But I like these centers this year, I really do.

I even think guys like Turcotte and Zegras are better than they get credit for being in the shadow of Hughes. Turcotte could end up in my top 3, and I wouldn’t rule out Zegras working his way into my top 5 potentially.

This is a very strong year for USA. I also saw hockeyprospect.com just put Boldy in their top 5, and I could see that being someone Detroit is super high on. But I think there is a lot of pressure for this organization to go center or defense, so I’m not super worried.

KJoe88

Forever Lost.
May 18, 2012
Trenton, MI
I like both a lot. I don't think we are picking D early this year though. I expect one of the centers to be our pick.

Broberg is a ridiculous skater, I am partial to those kind of prospects. The trait in the Cozens and Dach debate that I easily give to Cozens is skating in terms of I do like that aspect of Cozens game the most.

I like Broberg. Dude looks like a foward at times.

It’s why Karlsson is one of my favorite players ever. Unbelievable skater with gifted offensive talents.

Not saying we should draft Broberg at three or anything, but I do like him.

newfy

Jul 28, 2010

Eh we'll see come draft time but I think Kakko is viewed as a center by draft time. Hes already dabbling there and will likely play there a lot down the stretch. At this point last year Kotkaniemi had played less center than Kakko and hes having a good rookie year in the NHL as a center. Kakkos goals per game is actually higher right now than Laines draft year in Finland.

Zetterberg era and I agree on a lot of stuff on here but Kakko is definitely not one of them. TZE will deny it but when a high end USNTDP player gets some competition, TZE usually has bad things to say about the competition and TZE absolutely loves Jack Hughes. I think the evaluation is a little impacted by that.

If the wings pick second, it will be Kakko, or possible Hughes depending how the rest of the season goes. Either way I think the wings are getting a high end center going forward

Jul 30, 2005
I mean, what is location, really
The top prospects game is on right now. Cozens is so fast for a guy his size. It's pretty bonkers. Reminds me a bit of Larkin in the sense that he's very skilled, but not elite. And just like Larkin, it doesn't matter much because he's just blazing fast. You don't need elite hands when you're everywhere you need to be.

Reactions: KJoe88

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
I like Broberg. Dude looks like a foward at times.

It’s why Karlsson is one of my favorite players ever. Unbelievable skater with gifted offensive talents.

Not saying we should draft Broberg at three or anything, but I do like him.

Broberg is a great skater, but I'm not sure he can do much with the puck. Than carry. 1st pass skill is more important for great NHL dfenceman, than carrying ability. Erik Karlsson's best abilities are his passing and stick skills. Good skating won't hurt him though.

If somebody drafts Broberg very high, after 5 seasons he will be biggest droppers on re-drafts. Just my gut feeling.

KJoe88

Forever Lost.
May 18, 2012
Trenton, MI
The top prospects game is on right now. Cozens is so fast for a guy his size. It's pretty bonkers. Reminds me a bit of Larkin in the sense that he's very skilled, but not elite. And just like Larkin, it doesn't matter much because he's just blazing fast. You don't need elite hands when you're everywhere you need to be.

It’s why I really like our crop of young players.

They may not be possession fiends or a guy like Kane or Dastyuk, but they’re fast and have high IQ.

Speed kills in today’s NHL. I believe in the end our team is looking really good. If we do miss out on Hughes or even Kakko, Cozens is literally the ideal player of what a Wing is.

But having Hughes/Cozens and Larkin down the middle? Well, I can dream. And possibly Veleno? We’d have one of the deepest center depth potentially

Last edited:

Ezekial

Cheap Pizza, Bad Hockey
Sponsor
Nov 22, 2015
Chicago
I take all of the guys listed except Byram infront of Kakko...

My choice here would be Dach, but Cozens might close that down for me. I was higher on Cozens a while back, but I see a superior passer in Dach. He reminds me a ton of Getzlaf and Jumbo Joe. Drive the net with your stick on the ice and this guy will make you rich. We have those kind of players on the team and he gives us a massive right hander that opens up ice for everyone around him.
We're getting the #2 pick for sure now. First Zadina now Kakko.

Reactions: Fire Ken Holland

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Wow. He should be a beast at the combine. Not just speed tests, but grip strength? Broad jump? Kid has some power to him.

I would always be a bit scary with these "power" guys, because there's less room for physical development. And his pre-draft success could be based for these physical attributes. Less room to grow after draft.

But I dunno, maybe with extremely high picks you should go after the physical qualities (with skill), and try to find these late-bloomers on lower rounds.

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
But having Hughes/Cozens and Larkin down the middle? Well, I can dream. And possibly Veleno? We’d have one of the deepest center depth potentially
Then let's dare to dream a moment here.

Suppose that Detroit ends up with Cozens, and the kid is all he's hyped up to be. And Larkin continues to develop. Heck, and Veleno even becomes a 2C that feasts on 3rd line matchups. It would be like having Sheifele and Bergeron as your 1-2 punch, with a 2B to spare.

Even if you throw out any chance at Karlsson, you put those centers together, with Zadina and the other young wingers they have, and you're 1-2 decent defensemen away from a really fun team to watch. (Maybe Trouba does come home, and they add another vet on the 2nd pair to round things out.)

*snaps back to reality*

OK, one thing at a time. But it's nice to have hope on the horizon...

Reactions: hkydave04
Jul 30, 2005
I mean, what is location, really
I would always be a bit scary with these "power" guys, because there's less room for physical development. And his pre-draft success could be based for these physical attributes. Less room to grow after draft.

But I dunno, maybe with extremely high picks you should go after the physical qualities (with skill), and try to find these late-bloomers on lower rounds.
What's nice about Cozens is he's still got weight to put on. He's only 185 lbs at 6'3.

Rzombo4 prez

May 17, 2012
I like Dach's stride a decent amount, I think his skating will improve. I know that is dicey and didn't happen with guys like Ouellet. But I think he is going to be a fine skater and will round into form, his ability to see the ice is what impresses me the most though. I wouln't draft either Kakko or Podkolzin really, they just don't fit a need for our organization.

Dach does not have big technical deficiencies with his skating. His stride is fine and will continue to get better. This skating issues are all about acceleration and one-step quickness. Center requires that you stop and start your feet a ton and also requires that you make up good chunks of ground in transition. It is not something you can avoid if you want to play the position well. This is my one big reservation with Dach. He will be a good player, he is too big and too skilled not to be. I just think there is a really significant chance he ends up out on the wing long-term.

For the record I won't cry if we take him. I just don't see him as "most likely to play center" of the bunch.

SCD

Apr 8, 2018
I still project Rasmussen as a 3C personally (I don't see him as a top 6 forward at C or W, but think he can handle 3C just fine).
Rasmussen's skating is the limiting factor. I can't see him ever successfully transitioning back to that position in the NHL.

I would go with Turcotte. Doesn't get the respect being in Hughes shadow.

BStinson

Nov 11, 2013
I’m really not sure why 3rd overall is worst case scenario consider king if you finish dead last you have a 49.4% chance of drafting in the top 3. So considering that we will probably select around 5-6 I would love to get Turcotte (voted him in the pole) or Byram.

HisNoodliness

The Karate Kid and ASP Kai
Jun 29, 2014
Toronto
Rasmussen's skating is the limiting factor. I can't see him ever successfully transitioning back to that position in the NHL.

I would go with Turcotte. Doesn't get the respect being in Hughes shadow.
Turcotte is also a great choice. To be honest I'm not very knowledgeable this year, just haven't had time to watch.

Regarding Rasmussen, I think his skating is fine... It's not good, but I think it's good enough. I worry about his offensive instincts and production, but I think he's going to be fine as a skilled grinder that is a monster in front of the net. Just give him some time.

Last edited:

Rzombo4 prez

May 17, 2012
Turcotte is also a great choice. To be honest I'm not very knowledgeable this year, just haven't had time to watch.

Regarding Rasmussen, I think his skating is fine... It's not good, but I think it's good enough. I worry about his offensive instincts and production, but I think he's going to be fine as a skilled grinder that is a monster in front of the net. Just give him some time.

His skating is good, especially for his size, but it does need to get better if he wants to play in the middle. I have no real interest in making hard and fast proclamations about Ras' future at this point. He is really young and has a ton of room for growth, especially physically. Yes he has a big frame, but he isn't overly developed physically. I think people tend to confuse the two. I also think his game will be drastically different two full years from now. I expect the Wings to give him an honest go in the middle, but not for a couple of years yet.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
His skating is good, especially for his size, but it does need to get better if he wants to play in the middle. I have no real interest in making hard and fast proclamations about Ras' future at this point. He is really young and has a ton of room for growth, especially physically. Yes he has a big frame, but he isn't overly developed physically. I think people tend to confuse the two. I also think his game will be drastically different two full years from now. I expect the Wings to give him an honest go in the middle, but not for a couple of years yet.

To be fair Dach stride is more Mantha bad than actually terribly troubling. So I disagree there. I am with the scouts from Bobby Mac's mid-season top 10 in terms of I have trouble seeing him not in the middle. While I wish he had an extra gear if he wasn't in a draft with a generational passer I think he would be getting a lot more run in my opinion.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->