3rd overall pick

Who would you pick with the 3rd overall pick in the 2019 draft?

• Total voters

KJoe88

Forever Lost.
May 18, 2012
Trenton, MI
BCA.

I’d probably go with Cozens.

Although Byram is intriguing, we have plenty of other picks to use on defenseman. Cannot in no circumstance skip out on an potentially elite center to duo with Larkin.

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
For now, Cozens. I like both his talent level and playstyle more than any other remaining forward, and as much as I'd love to take a defenseman, Byram hasn't (yet) risen to that caliber.

wingsnut19

Apr 9, 2007
Even if we finish last, 3rd isn't worst case scenario, 4th is. And we'd have basically a 50% chance of getting the 4th pick as well.

I wouldn't complain about any of those players, though I probably prefer either Cozens or Byram. Feels like another draft where picks 3-6 are really close.

Reactions: DetroitRed
Apr 14, 2009
Canada
Look at the bottom of the standings, there are a bunch of teams all jammed up. At this point we could realistically be picking anywhere from first to eighth. I'd say the most likely spot at the moment is around 4 or 5 unfortunately.

If we do pick 3rd, Cozens all the way for me.

lilidk

Mar 4, 2008
2017 was all about Nico or Nolan, and now we know that it was someone #5

Reddwit

Feb 4, 2016
2017 was all about Nico or Nolan, and now we know that it was someone #5

Ehhh, not really. 2017 was all about Patrick and Liljegren going into the season with the caveat that Patrick was widely regarded as not being in the same class as Eichel/McDavid/Matthews. Hischier was ranked outside the top 5 and as low as ~15 for a lot of 2016. His recognition as a top 2 candidate didn't really happen until December/January and even then he was far from a sure thing in the top 2.

In retrospect, #5 and #3 probably go 1 and 2, but 2017 was pretty wide open in the top 5-10 vis-a-vis most drafts. By comparison, Hughes has been and remains #1 by consensus. Kakko is right there behind him. It compares much more to 2018, IMO.

Sparty

Oct 2, 2015
I think you're going to be disappointed if you think the 3rd pick is the worst case scenario.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Have you guys been able to watch actual games of these players? I don't like having to rely on highlight reels.

Most of these players minus the US guys played in the Hlinka, and those games can be re-watched here for anyone interested: Schedule and Scores

Also you can re-watch some USHL games where they face the USA U18 team, to see Hughes and company (via hockeytv.com)

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
Most of these players minus the US guys played in the Hlinka, and those games can be re-watched here for anyone interested: Schedule and Scores

Also you can re-watch some USHL games where they face the USA U18 team, to see Hughes and company (via hockeytv.com)

How would you like the job of Head Scout for the Benchworth Bullmoose?

Christien

May 1, 2010
Dach, Cozens or Podkolzin. Haven't seen much of Dach or Cozens, so if they pick one over the other I'll trust their decision. I know Podkolzin is a winger, but I really really like his game. High compete level, scrappy and smart. Probably would have to go with one of the centers at #3 though.

Last edited:

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
Went with Cozens but was torn between Cozens,Dach, and Byram

The three I would be picking between. A high end, big center or a potential number one D. Lots of time between now and then though. Would be disappointed with Podzlokin. Good player but at some point you can just keep taking wingers. If they didnt take Zadina last year early I might look at that a little differently

Reactions: bellringer77

HisNoodliness

The Karate Kid and ASP Kai
Jun 29, 2014
Toronto
Tough choice. In my very limited viewings I haven't seen much to seperate Dach, Cozens and Byram. So I went with Byram as I think he could be ideal, all-situations 1D we've been looking for, and we're better set at C with Larkin, Veleno and Rasmussen. But like I said. My viewings are limites and these guys are all neck and neck for me.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad