Proposal: 3rd OA to Vancouver or NJ

Unbiased Fan

May 24, 2019
Very very tempting but do not want to move Smith . I know that you have to give to get butI don’t think the Devils have enough assets they are willing to move it to get Quinn.
Why would you even want those 2 on the same team? Both are pretty 1 dimensional offensive dman. Especially Quinn he is hands down the worst defender in NHL history but he is still a great offensive dman I’m not sure if luke is also 1 dimensional but I’m assuming he is

TBF1972

May 19, 2018
With the exception of goaltending, the Ducks aren't set enough anywhere to pass on whoever they fill is the BPA. They need to collect the best future players possible and worry about balance when it starts to come together.

But to your comment, the Ducks are way more set on LD than RD. Lindholm and Fowler are still the two best Dmen on the team until Drysdale proves otherwise. Even then, plenty of room for another high end RD.
if you look at your nhl roster for needs at the draft, you are doing something wrong. most picks won't be ready until their d+3 year, especially a d-man. look at your prospect pipeline. their you have a better chance to identify potential roster holes of the future, when the drafted player will be ready to help.

therefore nj should think rhd first when drafting. the left side is hopefully covered in two years down the road with all the lhd picked up in the last three drafts. on the right side their is a waste land. if hughes wouldn't be jack's (and quinn's) brother, i don't think he would be discussed at #4 after his injury.

rypper

21-12-05 it's finally over.
Dec 22, 2006
What would Benning trade to move up? There are no assets he could give up without hurting next season, where he pretty much has to make the playoffs.

TBF1972

May 19, 2018
Very very tempting but do not want to move Smith . I know that you have to give to get butI don’t think the Devils have enough assets they are willing to move it to get Quinn.
smith and q hughes were drafted in the same draft just 11 picks apart. hughes made it to the nhl one year earlier and was spectacular in the first year, not so much in the second. hughes has the higher ceiling because of his enormous offensive talents, but it's not even a given he will have the better career than smith, when looking back in 15 years.
this pairing brothers stuff is so overrated. i am close with my brother. we did a lot of things together when we were kids, as we were just 1 and half year apart. but working in the same team in a company never crossed my mind as a desirable state. i personally try to separate work and personal relationships as much as possible.

Qwijibo

Dec 1, 2014
I don’t get the fascination of having the brothers. How many cups did the Sedins combine for in Vancouver? Zero. Just pick the BPA and forget about trying to unite the brothers.

Eggtimer

Jul 4, 2011
Calgary Alberta
I’m not advocating for the Devils to reach for Hughes but it just so happens that he falls in with where the Devils pick. Why would you not take Luke if he fills a huge need plus is your franchise forwards brother? If the difference between Clarke and Hughes is marginal , why not take Luke? I think it would go a long ways to keep Jack happy . How would it look to Jack if his brother is there for the taking , fills a huge need and the Devils pass on him to take a different D ?
It’s not a HUGE deal but still would be somewhat an issue

Last edited:

405Entrance

Feb 8, 2020
I’m not advocating for the Devils to reach for Laine but it just so happens that he falls in with where the Devils pick. Why would you not take Luke if he fills a huge need plus is your franchise forwards brother? If the difference between Clarke and Hughes is marginal , why not take Luke? I think it would go a long ways to keep Jack happy . How would it look to Jack if his brother is there for the taking , fills a huge need and the Devils pass on him to take a different D ?
He might not be there at 4

Reactions: WidgitRibbit

Ninjadude

Oct 25, 2018
Hughes might fall to 9th overall. Stranger things have happened at the draft!

VanOriginal

Jun 15, 2019
I’m not advocating for the Devils to reach for Laine but it just so happens that he falls in with where the Devils pick. Why would you not take Luke if he fills a huge need plus is your franchise forwards brother? If the difference between Clarke and Hughes is marginal , why not take Luke? I think it would go a long ways to keep Jack happy . How would it look to Jack if his brother is there for the taking , fills a huge need and the Devils pass on him to take a different D ?

At the end of the day I honestly don't think Jack will care if his brother wasn't taken as long as the player taken is the best player for the Devils to win a cup(s). If it's Luke then Luke but if it's Brandt Clarke ( I personally think Clarke has a higher IQ and will be better than Luke) then you take him. Either way you'll either have the Hughes brothers playing on your team or the Clarke brothers on your team. Graeme Clarke a RW was drafted by your team in 2019 and played in Binghamton this past year. Didn't look too bad either

TBF1972

May 19, 2018
Hughes might fall to 9th overall. Stranger things have happened at the draft!
If Hughes is picked in the Top 3, a better prospect (Powers, Beniers or Clarke) would make his way to Devils pick. Trade up to secure Luke Hughes service would be a dumb move.

blankall

Jul 4, 2007
Not sure having two Hughes on the same team is such a great idea. Yes they are all potential superstars, but they also have major flaws in their games. They all lack size and physical play. Seems like the Canucks need someone who fills in those holes, not adds to them. Luke seems to have even more questions about his defensive game than Quinn, so you can't play them together except on the PP. If both develop into top pairing guys that can't be played together, the creates serious issues.

Gstank

Apr 27, 2015
Why does everyone think Vancouver wants Hughes if we get the 3rd pick i would t be using it on Hughes at all

Luck 6

\\_______
Oct 17, 2008
Vancouver
Canucks are not moving up in this draft, especially to draft another LHD. We will take whoever falls to us, with an outside chance we trade the pick for an under 25 defenseman.

Luck 6

\\_______
Oct 17, 2008
Vancouver
Why does everyone think Vancouver wants Hughes if we get the 3rd pick i would t be using it on Hughes at all

I wouldn’t either, although I wouldn’t be surprised if he ends up being the best player in this draft. I could say that about a few players though.

Cheddabombs

Status Quo
Mar 13, 2012
higher chance of not losing our star players as soon as they're UFAs

I think another factor that might help not losing key UFA's, is being a competitive team.

I don't think picking L. Hughes 4th is outlandish, he's certainly one of the prospects within that range, but there's definitely arguments to be made for others there too - I personally lean more towards Clarke at that point. It's certainly not worth giving up assets to move up 1 spot and draft Luke. Whatever the choice is, I hope it's based purely on who the team thinks will be the BPA and not to make Jack happy.

justHypnos

May 4, 2011
Montreal
I think another factor that might help not losing key UFA's, is being a competitive team.

I don't think picking L. Hughes 4th is outlandish, he's certainly one of the prospects within that range, but there's definitely arguments to be made for others there too - I personally lean more towards Clarke at that point. It's certainly not worth giving up assets to move up 1 spot and draft Luke. Whatever the choice is, I hope it's based purely on who the team thinks will be the BPA and not to make Jack happy.
It's certainly more of a tie breaker. I personally don't know who the better dman is, perhaps the Devils' scouts have a stronger opinion. You don't go down a tier to reunite brothers for no other reason than a feel good story. I agree there.

82Ninety42011

Jul 2, 2011
Abbotsford BC
I wouldn't worry if I was the Devils if Vancouver did somehow trade up it wouldn't be for Hughes but Clarke. You are safe if Hughes is your target Vancouver needs RHD much more than a lefty.

Goomba

Mario is a Devils fan
May 7, 2021
theres no clear consensus that Hughes is in the top 5.

Some have him top 5, others top 10

so there really isnt a reason the Canucks need to trade up 6 spots just because his brother plays on the team.

That nostalgia is only something us fans on message boards care about, real GMs probably couldnt care less.

Luke's season ending tendon injury also concerns me a bit, especially if it can have long term effect on a player like Luke who relies on his skating.

Then there have been some rumblings about a diva like personality with Luke.

Worth drafting at 9? Sure!

trading up 6 spots, no thanks.
Thats just factually wrong; GMs and players care about this stuff. Theyre people too not robots

Reactions: Christina Woloski

sasha barkov

Nov 4, 2016
Anaheim will be taking Hughes at 3. Thanks for the offers and appreciate the idea, though

Hoglander

I'm Höglander. I can do whatever I want.
Jan 4, 2019
Midtown, New York
Can't see van attempting to move up. Playoffs is absolutely this seasons goal for Benning, he needs to use assets to move poor contracts, and if he is making trades, he'll need assets to improve the team. Swapping deck chairs and using assets (without making our roster worse) to bring in an 18 year old, is very likely not part of his shortsighted plan for the playoffs. Bennings job is on the line, and he needs results asap

TGWL

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 28, 2011
NJ shouldn't draft him on name. I'm not sold he's the best pick at 4.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad