Proposal: 3rd OA to Vancouver or NJ

Jerzey Devil

Jerzey-Duz-It
Jun 11, 2010
St. Augustine, FL
As a slightly concerned Devils fan, I’m wondering what the chances of Benning trying to move up to snag Luke Hughes before the Devils can draft him are.

Benning said he is going to be aggressive with trades this off season so my first instinct is to think he wants more NHL ready players. So I’m assuming something like Boeser for 3rd OA is probably not going to happen.

But what would Vancouver be able to package with their 9th OA pick to make it worth it for Anaheim? Anything they’d be ok parting with that Anaheim would want?

Then I guess the final obstacle is who does Anaheim want with the 3rd OA pick? If they’re considering Hughes what would make a trade for the 4th OA and the 3rd OA worth it from NJ? Most Devils fans are probably happy to just draft whoever lands at 4th OA if it isn’t Hughes but I’m just curious.

Either way Murray should probably get on the phone with Benning and Fitzgerald just to see how they feel about Hughes and see what they can get from them to swap picks.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
As a slightly concerned Devils fan, I’m wondering what the chances of Benning trying to move up to snag Luke Hughes before the Devils can draft him are.

Benning said he is going to be aggressive with trades this off season so my first instinct is to think he wants more NHL ready players. So I’m assuming something like Boeser for 3rd OA is probably not going to happen.

But what would Vancouver be able to package with their 9th OA pick to make it worth it for Anaheim? Anything they’d be ok parting with that Anaheim would want?

Then I guess the final obstacle is who does Anaheim want with the 3rd OA pick? If they’re considering Hughes what would make a trade for the 4th OA and the 3rd OA worth it from NJ? Most Devils fans are probably happy to just draft whoever lands at 4th OA if it isn’t Hughes but I’m just curious.

Either way Murray should probably get on the phone with Benning and Fitzgerald just to see how they feel about Hughes and see what they can get from them to swap picks.
I don’t think you need to worry. Benning is focussed on next season and isn’t going to move up for a guy who will be 1-2 years away.

you just need to hope that after Power 2 of Beniers, Evindssin, Clarke, Eklund or whomever got to Seattle and Anaheim.

Cogburn

Pretend they're yachts.
May 28, 2010
Vancouver

Hughes, Power or Clarke would be ideal for Vancouver, but I really hope Benning isn't trading up. This draft is a crap shoot, and even predicting how the top 10 pans out is so far away from consensus that six spots won't be worth the cost, or ask, to move up.

Jerzey Devil

Jerzey-Duz-It
Jun 11, 2010
St. Augustine, FL
I don’t think you need to worry. Benning is focussed on next season and isn’t going to move up for a guy who will be 1-2 years away.

you just need to hope that after Power 2 of Beniers, Evindssin, Clarke, Eklund or whomever got to Seattle and Anaheim.
I want to say Seattle drafts Beniers to start off with a potential 1c but you never know. Anaheim is the real wild card here to me.

Just A Bit Outside

Playoffs??!
Mar 6, 2010
Van won’t trade up and with Hughes’ injury, there is almost a zero percentage chance he gets drafted before #4.

the real question is, if Luke is drafted by NJ, what’s the proposal to Van for Quinn?

Reactions: zcaptain

Jerzey Devil

Jerzey-Duz-It
Jun 11, 2010
St. Augustine, FL
No interest in moving up
I don’t think it’s really necessary to move up but I also don’t think it would cost us that much. We have a pretty deep prospect pool and can probably afford to part with something not too vital to the future of the team. If it cost a 3rd or something I’d do it.

Jerzey Devil

Jerzey-Duz-It
Jun 11, 2010
St. Augustine, FL
Van won’t trade up and with Hughes’ injury, there is almost a zero percentage chance he gets drafted before #4.

the real question is, if Luke is drafted by NJ, what’s the proposal to Van for Quinn?

It would be tempting to try to get Quinn but it would probably be best to just wait to see if he wants to join his brothers as a UFA. Maybe in his final RFaA year we can revisit a trade if he makes it clear he wants to leave.

My guess is he’s a Canuck for a long time though.

Something like Smith + Isles picks is the most I would give up for Quinn at this time (even though he’s worth more).

Hisch13r

May 16, 2012
NJ
I don’t think it’s really necessary to move up but I also don’t think it would cost us that much. We have a pretty deep prospect pool and can probably afford to part with something not too vital to the future of the team. If it cost a 3rd or something I’d do it.

And I really have no interest giving up a 3rd to do it. I want Luke the most but the foot issues do give me some pause and even without that it's not worth giving up a 3rd in order to do it. Getting a Clarke or Beniers or Eklund instead and swinging big with the 3rd is the better option

Jerzey Devil

Jerzey-Duz-It
Jun 11, 2010
St. Augustine, FL
And I really have no interest giving up a 3rd to do it. I want Luke the most but the foot issues do give me some pause and even without that it's not worth giving up a 3rd in order to do it. Getting a Clarke or Beniers or Eklund instead and swinging big with the 3rd is the better option
And I might be overeating but for some reason I feel like having the opportunity to lock up both Hughes brothers potentially for their whole careers is more important than a 3rd.

Our prospect pool is pretty deep already. I don’t see another 3rd being that important.

Reactions: Goomba

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
I want to say Seattle drafts Beniers to start off with a potential 1c but you never know. Anaheim is the real wild card here to me.
I don't think Beniers is going to be a Scheiffle 1C calibre Center. Think he will be a tweener between a low end 1C to a high end 2C.

UrbanImpact

Apr 12, 2021
theres no clear consensus that Hughes is in the top 5.

Some have him top 5, others top 10

so there really isnt a reason the Canucks need to trade up 6 spots just because his brother plays on the team.

That nostalgia is only something us fans on message boards care about, real GMs probably couldnt care less.

Luke's season ending tendon injury also concerns me a bit, especially if it can have long term effect on a player like Luke who relies on his skating.

Then there have been some rumblings about a diva like personality with Luke.

Worth drafting at 9? Sure!

trading up 6 spots, no thanks.

Eggtimer

Jul 4, 2011
Calgary Alberta

I agree except I think it is a slam dunk that Beniers goes in the top 3 along with Power. If seattle does not take Beniers though i can see the Ducks take him and Hughes will fall to the devils. Only way i do not see Hughes go to the Devils is if Buffalo and Seattle go Power and Beniers then Ducks go Hughes.
Just have to hope that the Ducks go with one of Clarke Edvinsson Eklund in that case . I can see them going Hughes though as they need LHD more so than RHD? It sucks for us Devils fans as Id prefer Hughes but Clarke is also good and fills a need at RHD.

WhatTheDuck

9 - 20 - 8
May 17, 2007
Worst Case, Ontario
I agree except I think it is a slam dunk that Beniers goes in the top 3 along with Power. If seattle does not take Beniers though i can see the Ducks take him and Hughes will fall to the devils. Only way i do not see Hughes go to the Devils is if Buffalo and Seattle go Power and Beniers then Ducks go Hughes.
Just have to hope that the Ducks go with one of Clarke Edvinsson Eklund in that case . I can see them going Hughes though as they need LHD more so than RHD? It sucks for us Devils fans as Id prefer Hughes but Clarke is also good and fills a need at RHD.

With the exception of goaltending, the Ducks aren't set enough anywhere to pass on whoever they fill is the BPA. They need to collect the best future players possible and worry about balance when it starts to come together.

But to your comment, the Ducks are way more set on LD than RD. Lindholm and Fowler are still the two best Dmen on the team until Drysdale proves otherwise. Even then, plenty of room for another high end RD.

NjdevilfanJim

Jan 26, 2020

Don't worry perfect draft to trade down....This draft is deep defensively the only unique ones are Power and Hughes potential upside....

WaW

Armchair Assistant Coffee Gofer for the GM
Mar 18, 2017
This draft feels like a total crapshoot with about 9 or 10 or so players at the top of the class who don't seem to separate themselves from the rest of the group. There's therefore extremely little to no value IMO for anyone in the top 10 or so to try and move up or down within that group. I really thought last night's lottery was the most "who cares" lottery since its inception.

Like as a Detroit fan, I would under no circumstances trade the #6 pick + the #22/23 Washington pick for Buffalo's #1. Therefore I see no reason why Vancouver should trade up into New Jersey's spot.

lwvs84

Jan 25, 2003
Los Angeles, CA
I doubt there is a workable deal for 3rd for 9th+. What the Ducks lack is top end/elite talent, they have plenty of depth. They have a much better chance to get that player at 3 and the difference between 3 and 9 isn't going to be a player the Ducks need or a pick with a high chance of being the impact player the Ducks need. If you look at the prospect pool, there's plenty of guys that should be bottom 9 forwards/bottom 4 d-men... they need the pick to get a top line F or top pair D (or at least the best chance at it).

Reactions: WhatTheDuck

SiZ

Jun 24, 2020
I don't see why any sane GM would trade up from 9th to 3rd in such a crapshoot draft--which is why I'm worried Benning will do it.

Unbiased Fan

May 24, 2019

Definitely starts with Smith.

Smith, Zacha and top 3 protected 2022 1st

Eggtimer

Jul 4, 2011
Calgary Alberta
I don't see why any sane GM would trade up from 9th to 3rd in such a crapshoot draft--which is why I'm worried Benning will do it.
Oh god I hope he does try . I would be especially pissed as a devils fan if that meant that Power Clarke and Hughes would all be gone by 4th. I guess Benier is a hell of a consolation prize but the Devils need D big time

WidgitRibbit

Mar 25, 2021

And this how you have it ^ @Paul4587 @majormajor @Vipers31 you just got called out because the trade down makes sense from Anaheim perspective and New Jersey wants it. And this is from a message board perspective that makes sense :laugh:

Wheres the “extra” picks at is what Anaheim should be asking :nod:

Last edited:

WidgitRibbit

Mar 25, 2021
Oh god I hope he does try . I would be especially pissed as a devils fan if that meant that Power Clarke and Hughes would all be gone by 4th. I guess Benier is a hell of a consolation prize but the Devils need D big time

And Anaheim fans called me stupid for saying Anaheim shouldn’t trade down. Lmao cmon man

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad