Speculation: 3rd line center if/when we get started

Kershaw

That's really nice of Vinny to sign a 1 year deal and leave millions on the table... bc it's NYC - 'nuff said.'

... He gets to reunite with Torts... the guy who made his life miserable... but wait - he played with Richards 10 years ago... With this logic maybe he goes to Philly to play with fedotenko or SJ to play with Boyle...

Richards was his Jr. linemate, TBL teammate and best friend. Not the same as Boyle/Fedotenko.

Vinny won Rocket Richard with Torts. His numbers plummeted greatly after Torts was fired. He's never been the same.

Boom Boom Geoffrion*

Btw, if by some miracle Vinny was brought here, there's about no chance in hell he'd be our 3C..

Kershaw

Btw, if by some miracle Vinny was brought here, there's about no chance in hell he'd be our 3C..

Yup #2 center

Nash-Richards-Callahan
Hagelin-Lecavalier-Gaborik
Kreider-Stepan-Pyatt
Boyle-Halpern-Asham

or wing with Richards

Lecavalier-Richards-Nash
Kreider-Stepan-Gaborik
Hagelin-Boyle-Callahan
Asham-Halpern-Pyatt

Fitzy

Very Stable Genius
Jan 29, 2009
I don't want Vinny L anywhere near this team, despite how unlikely.

Fitzy

Very Stable Genius
Jan 29, 2009
I can think of a lot of teams in this league willing to make a bid on Vinny L as a potential number one center. Pivots are at a premium, and everybody wants a top 10 center. Look at what Carolina gave Jordan Staal to be a #2 guy for them. Look at the bidding war on a declining (somewhat) Brad Richards, Eric Staals contract and just how many top centers actually get to free agency in the first place.

Where does that put us as a club that not only already has a number one center, but a solid, cheap #2 option in Stepan? Not to mention already working on trying to sort out how to keep Gaborik.

Fact of the matter is, if we were to outbid all those teams without a number one center for him to be our number two? And this a guy who has been putting up numbers closer to Stephen Weiss than to Malkin the past couple years?

Sakic-Forsbergs are rare. Lemieux-Francis's, Gretzky-Messiers and Crosby-Malkin's are exceptionally rare. And if you're going to try to buy that kind of a spine, you're not going to be able to have the Nash's and the Gaboriks of the world on your flank.

Bleed Ranger Blue

Jul 18, 2006
I dont know whats funnier about JT Miller replacing Boyle this season.

That people think hes NHL ready right now.

Or that people think he will be a center in the NHL

HatTrick Swayze

Just Be Nice
Jun 16, 2006
Chicago
I don't think the center point is that out of line. He regularly plays C for Hartford.

I think you could also be looking at a scenario where he takes the faceoffs and then rotates to wing. Similar to how Dubi was used at times.

we want cup

Apr 12, 2007
NYC
I don't think the center point is that out of line. He regularly plays C for Hartford.

I think you could also be looking at a scenario where he takes the faceoffs and then rotates to wing. Similar to how Dubi was used at times.

If his faceoffs continue to be good, then I suppose that could work. I really do think his skill set is better suited for the wing though. Pressuring the D, forcing turnovers in the corners, going to the net...

Mikos87

Mar 19, 2002
Visit site
Lets not forget that Boyle might command a pretty penny as a UFA. JT Miller was all over Nugent-Hopkins in the semis against Canada, playing center.

Punxrocknyc19*

Lets not forget that Boyle might command a pretty penny as a UFA. JT Miller was all over Nugent-Hopkins in the semis against Canada, playing center.

after one fluke season....:shakehead although i can see Boyle scoring 25 and getting 50 pts right before he becomes an UFA. for some reason he seems like a flukey player... :sarcasm:

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
I personally, have no problem with that.

I don't know how anyone can not have a problem with that. It's like having 2 4th line centers. He had a good start to the 10-11 season, fizzled out but ended up with 20 goals. Then last season he had a hot 10 game stretch or so, including the playoffs. The guy is not a #3 center on a contender. I see no reason not to at least give Miller a shot. He's good defensively, has high offensive upside than Boyle. Plays with men already.

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
Boyle actually gets a lot of love on the main boards. I'm pretty sure the only people that don't recognize him as a legitimate 3C are Ranger fans.

The people on the main boards? The same people that think Stralman is a terrible #5 D-man (not that he's a superstar but as a #5 he's very solid). The main boards doesn't know as much about players on the Rangers as fans that watch them every game.

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
1 more thing. I think some of you folks are doing 2 things. 1) Forgetting how awful Boyle was before that good streak of games to end the regular season and to start the playoffs. Everyone hated the guy. He got more **** than anyone on this board. 2) Drinking the Kool-Aid. There's always optimism before the season. Why not be optimistic or at least not pessimistic about our 3rd line C?

Kershaw

1 more thing. I think some of you folks are doing 2 things. 1) Forgetting how awful Boyle was before that good streak of games to end the regular season and to start the playoffs. Everyone hated the guy. He got more **** than anyone on this board. 2) Drinking the Kool-Aid. There's always optimism before the season. Why not be optimistic or at least not pessimistic about our 3rd line C?

Boyle had some of the toughest minutes to play in the league as a center. The only players who can play to Boyle's standard (where around 70% of shifts are started in defensive zone) are Dave Bolland (untouchable), Jay McClement and Brandon Sutter.

The latter two barely outproduced Boyle. And this is with Boyle's unsustainable shooting percentage. Which was way behind his career average.

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
Boyle had some of the toughest minutes to play in the league as a center. The only players who can play to Boyle's standard (where around 70% of shifts are started in defensive zone) are Dave Bolland (untouchable), Jay McClement and Brandon Sutter.

The latter two barely outproduced Boyle. And this is with Boyle's unsustainable shooting percentage. Which was way behind his career average.

His stats were inflated due to 1 hot streak. He was useless offensively the entire year. I'm not sure he's this great defensive player either. He's a slug.

Kershaw

His stats were inflated due to 1 hot streak. He was useless offensively the entire year. I'm not sure he's this great defensive player either. He's a slug.

lol.

Every player has a hot streak.

Why not remove all hot streaks in the NHL.

Hell, let's take out Crosby 22 straight games with a point a few yrs back and he's noting more than an average 1st line player.

Not good defensively? lol. Without Boyle, we would've been so screwed last year. Over the course of the season, Boyle took an absurd 70% zone starts in our own end. Without Boyle, Stepan and Richards do not get as many opportunities to score since we have no other center on our roster capable of playing those types of minutes.

Trxjw

Retired.
May 8, 2007
Land of no calls..

Boyle got crap from the same group of people who always look for a scapegoat. He was just fine in his role. Would more offense be nice? Sure, but when the guy spends most of his time matched up against guys like Malkin, Giroux, and the other top centers around the league, I think saying he's solid defensively is a pretty fair assessment.

You're looking for a problem where there isn't one.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
I think the likely scenario is we stick with Boyle and I'm 100% behind that but the Vinny idea is tempting. He's still a take it to the bank lock for 20 goals, imagine how deep we'd be.

That being said, if the cap goes down to the point where there's amnesty in the league, then you have to question if we can afford Vinny. He's not what he used to be but like I said he's still a lock for 20 goals. We're not exactly gonna get him on ELC to say the least.

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
lol.

Every player has a hot streak.

Why not remove all hot streaks in the NHL.

Hell, let's take out Crosby 22 straight games with a point a few yrs back and he's noting more than an average 1st line player.

Not good defensively? lol. Without Boyle, we would've been so screwed last year. Over the course of the season, Boyle took an absurd 70% zone starts in our own end. Without Boyle, Stepan and Richards do not get as many opportunities to score since we have no other center on our roster capable of playing those types of minutes.

Every player has a hot streak. Every player isn't useless in his games that aren't included in the hot streak.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad