Speculation: 3rd line center if/when we get started

Brooklyn Ranger

Feb 27, 2002
Brooklyn, of course
Boyle got crap from the same group of people who always look for a scapegoat. He was just fine in his role. Would more offense be nice? Sure, but when the guy spends most of his time matched up against guys like Malkin, Giroux, and the other top centers around the league, I think saying he's solid defensively is a pretty fair assessment.

You're looking for a problem where there isn't one.

Exactly, well said. Everyone talks about how important defense is, but forgets that forwards have that responsibility too. Very few teams can afford to have a center that is skilled enough to play in the top six playing on the third line.

BlueshirtBlitz

Foolish Samurai
Aug 2, 2010
New York
Hes usually too busy shutting down the opposition's top forwards to worry about your petty needs.

Do we have stats for him shutting down top lines? I look back and I remember him getting picked on by guys like Spezza.

I'm not being sarcastic, i'm legitimately interested. It never appeared to me that he was an elite shutdown guy but it's certainly possible he did better than it looked like he was.

Trxjw

Retired.
May 8, 2007
Land of no calls..
Do we have stats for him shutting down top lines? I look back and I remember him getting picked on by guys like Spezza.

I'm not being sarcastic, i'm legitimately interested. It never appeared to me that he was an elite shutdown guy but it's certainly possible he did better than it looked like he was.

This should work, but I'm not sure.

Top 10 Opponents

Those are the top-10 players in terms of TOI that Boyle faced. There ought to be a couple that jump out at you.

BlueshirtBlitz

Foolish Samurai
Aug 2, 2010
New York
This should work, but I'm not sure.

Top 10 Opponents

Those are the top-10 players in terms of TOI that Boyle faced. There ought to be a couple that jump out at you.

No I realize that he was played against top talent, which is admirable, but I just can't shake the images of Spezza and Malkin dancing all over him out of my head. Granted, those were 2-3 games out of many, but on a game-by-game basis I never found myself wowed by Boyler's ability to lock down these guys.

Trxjw

Retired.
May 8, 2007
Land of no calls..
No I realize that he was played against top talent, which is admirable, but I just can't shake the images of Spezza and Malkin dancing all over him out of my head. Granted, those were 2-3 games out of many, but on a game-by-game basis I never found myself wowed by Boyler's ability to lock down these guys.

You tend not to remember the countless successful (read: pretty uneventful) defensive shifts a guy has. It's the facepalm worthy moments that stick in people's minds. Has he been burned a few times? Sure, but just about everyone has. It's inevitable when you're playing against the best players in the world. The guy wouldn't be getting iced against these guys if he wasn't up to the task.

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
You tend not to remember the countless successful (read: pretty uneventful) defensive shifts a guy has. It's the facepalm worthy moments that stick in people's minds. Has he been burned a few times? Sure, but just about everyone has. It's inevitable when you're playing against the best players in the world. The guy wouldn't be getting iced against these guys if he wasn't up to the task.

Torts has a man crush on him. He'd be getting ice time against these guys even if he were 65. Seriously, championship coaches err. Look at Coughlin and Diehl. Coaches have their favorites and guys that they don't like. Both are sometimes mistakes.

Vitto79

May 24, 2008
Sarnia
I would bet Sather is going to take a look at some remaining UFA's since he has some space. In a shortened yr why wait till the April deadline? Jason Arnott would be nice for the 2nd PP unit and 3rd line. Still say Boyle is used on the 3rd line regardless whether it be C or Wing

The Flames likely buyout Stajan, is he a descent cheap depth option?

Last edited:

Trxjw

Retired.
May 8, 2007
Land of no calls..
Torts has a man crush on him. He'd be getting ice time against these guys even if he were 65. Seriously, championship coaches err. Look at Coughlin and Diehl. Coaches have their favorites and guys that they don't like. Both are sometimes mistakes.

That's asinine. Just shows you've got nothing legitimate to back up your point. I give you tangible evidence, you give me conjecture. Point proven.

Bleed Ranger Blue

Jul 18, 2006
That's asinine. Just shows you've got nothing legitimate to back up your point. I give you tangible evidence, you give me conjecture. Point proven.

You mean statistics vs. "man crush" aren't on the same level of argumentative evidence?

Samuel Culper III

Mr. Woodhull...
Jan 15, 2007
Texas
Not really relevant, IMO, to Boyle being adequate for the 3C but McKenzie is reporting that Miller will get consideration in camp. Probably all he'll get but thought it was nice to have something team related to report for once. I would like one more legit 3rd line guy. Someone a bit better than Pyatt.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->