Speculation: 3rd line center if/when we get started

Cliffy1814

Nov 10, 2011
I am feeling optimistic there will be a season and began thinking about the roster.

I was reading that the NHL is now talking about two two amnesty buyots with one perhaps being before this season? If that happened there could be some players scrambling for jobs.

So how about Vinny Lecavlier on a one year deal to center the third line?
You know Tampa will amnesty him with that contract and I would assume that Torts and Richards are supporters of his.
We know we don't have much room in the futurte for long term commitments to players of this age, but he'd give us some insurance against injury/underperformance with our top two this season. He scored same amount of points as Stepan in 18 less games last year.
If things go well, you bring him back on another one year deal next year and if not, no harm.
He is not the player he was obviously, but he can still play.

Vitto79

May 24, 2008
Sarnia
Its going to be Boyle guys but if anyone Arnott is out there.

Halpern is the 4th liner this yr and then maybe Miller and/or Lindberg are ready next yr

I was thinking about buyout candicates how about a Komisarek from TO, he will be bought out for sure and is from NY no? Cheap and tough 6th Dman?

SupersonicMonkey*

I vote for no garbage overpaid buyouts, thanks.

Stepan, Boyle, Halpern, Miller, Lindberg are fine organizational depth.

Dalagaze

Goalie Killer
Apr 6, 2012
NY
We have 3 choices:

A.) Brian Boyle
B.) Brian Boyle
C.) Brian ******* Boyle

I find it hard to believe that Tampa will buy out their captain and face of the franchise right now. Besides, I can't imagine he'd come cheap.

And to the poster above, I don't want Gomez anywhere NEAR this team for as long as I live.

Kane One

Feb 6, 2010
Brooklyn, New NY
We have 3 choices:

A.) Brian Boyle
B.) Brian Boyle
C.) Brian ******* Boyle

I find it hard to believe that Tampa will buy out their captain and face of the franchise right now. Besides, I can't imagine he'd come cheap.

And to the poster above, I don't want Gomez anywhere NEAR this team for as long as I live.

Stamkos is the face of the franchise right now.

Boom Boom Geoffrion*

I am feeling optimistic there will be a season and began thinking about the roster.

I was reading that the NHL is now talking about two two amnesty buyots with one perhaps being before this season? If that happened there could be some players scrambling for jobs.

So how about Vinny Lecavlier on a one year deal to center the third line?
You know Tampa will amnesty him with that contract and I would assume that Torts and Richards are supporters of his.
We know we don't have much room in the futurte for long term commitments to players of this age, but he'd give us some insurance against injury/underperformance with our top two this season. He scored same amount of points as Stepan in 18 less games last year.
If things go well, you bring him back on another one year deal next year and if not, no harm.
He is not the player he was obviously, but he can still play.

Vinny as our 3C?

What in the hell. . . . . . . . . . . . . .

Cliffy1814

Nov 10, 2011
If the Canadiens buy-out Gomez I want him.

Not kidding.

2 years, $4mil, get it done.

Arnott and Gomez are good ones too.
I'd rather do one year at $3m than commit a 2nd year though.

Someone else should be brought in though.

Injuries happen in condensed seasons. Stepan has not even proven himself to be a consistent, reliable point producer in the league yet.
If there are some guys like Gomez, Arnott, Lecaciler sitting out there at affordable prices you have to bring one in.

Thirty One

Safe is safe.
Dec 28, 2003
Our third line center will be Brian Boyle. That's pretty much the end of it.
Yep, discussion over.

(If only. Experience tells me there will now be a long-winded debate centering on how Boyle makes people feel inside and no facts.)

McSauer

Defense Wins Games
Feb 18, 2004
Jersey City, NJ
While Boyle will be our third line center, it is a HUGE weakness for this team. If he was on the 4th line, it would be an ideal situation, but that's not how it will go with Tort's obsession with him. He has absolutely no finish. He kills penalties, awesome; he should not have any even strength time...such a shame the time he gets...

My ideal situation would be for Miller to make the team and be our 3rd line center (I def think he could) and move Boyle down, but that just will not happen...ugh

Punxrocknyc19*

it will be either Brian Boyle or JT Miller if Miller plays the way he did during the IIHF World Juniors the rest of the way through training camp..

i wont be shocked if Miller gets a few NHL games this year... especially early if there are injuries...

Feb 27, 2002
NYC
While Boyle will be our third line center, it is a HUGE weakness for this team. If he was on the 4th line, it would be an ideal situation, but that's not how it will go with Tort's obsession with him. He has absolutely no finish. He kills penalties, awesome; he should not have any even strength time...such a shame the time he gets...

My ideal situation would be for Miller to make the team and be our 3rd line center (I def think he could) and move Boyle down, but that just will not happen...ugh

How is it a huge weakness? His numbers are not that far off from third liner centers from the last four Cup winning team (save Staal who is hardly a 3C).

Fitzy

Very Stable Genius
Jan 29, 2009
Boyle fits the bill of a 3rd line center. In this cap era, the days of Steve Rucchins and Matt Cullens on the 3rd line is just about over.

Punxrocknyc19*

i totally agree.

either Miller will be a wing on 3rd line with Boyle as the center and then Halpern plays the 4th line or Miller will be 3rd line center, Boyle will be either a wing or center and Halpern will be on the 4th line center.. lot of options..

Feb 27, 2002
NYC
His NO FINISH + Insane amounts of ice time = almost no production whatsoever (aside from his week+ hot streak we'll see at some point...)

Finish from whom exactly? Prust? Fedotenko? He's a third line center. You don't judge a third line center on finish (which I assume you mean goal-scoring). He was the best forward on the team in early part of the OTT series.

Thirty One

Safe is safe.
Dec 28, 2003
Boyle fits the bill of a 3rd line center. In this cap era, the days of Steve Rucchins and Matt Cullens on the 3rd line is just about over.
Steve Rucchin was pretty much exclusively our 2nd line center, and a pretty terrible one at that.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->