Proposal: #3C to Edmonton

Toby Flenderson

Jun 4, 2015
I remember talking to a Pens fan about Larsson for McCann + Murray. What do you have to say about that.

I would offer Puljujarvi for him straight up, maybe a late pick attached.
That was me actually. There was a plus to Larsson, like 3rd or so. I would do that deal but I’ve learned that other pens fans aren’t as high on Larsson.

Idk why. I think he’s great a pretty underrated.

TFHockey

The CEO of 7-8-0
May 16, 2014
Edmonton
On his own, he wouldn’t be worth a 1st but add on the Russell $4 mill cap dump and that is a lot of value. Ottawa would not trade for Russell Without a significant sweetener, nor does Ottawa need to trade Tierney.

You understand that Russell has all of one year left on his contract. Oh, and he actually plays defense. There is ZERO chance the Oilers deal a 1st for a 3c. Even a team who is drafting 30th OA is unlikely to do that.

Liferleafer

TSN Scrum Lurker
Feb 9, 2011
Wouldn't do Kerfoot for Russell one-for-one honestly. The term attached to his deal is going to turn away most suitors. Not the type of guy you want centering the third line in a playoff game.

When it comes to guys the Leafs are shopping this summer I'm not sure Johnsson turns a lot of heads either. In a flat cap 3 more years of $3.5m for a depth forward is a lot.
Nitpicking here, but it's 3.4

FightingIrish17

Jun 13, 2013
There's some decent free agents out there who could fill that role for Edmonton: Brassard, Haula, Koivu.

Given the flat cap and the deep free agent pool, you could probably acquire some solid pieces on the cheap.

Sen sational

Mar 27, 2019
You understand that Russell has all of one year left on his contract. Oh, and he actually plays defense. There is ZERO chance the Oilers deal a 1st for a 3c. Even a team who is drafting 30th OA is unlikely to do that.
It seems like a good number of Edm fans don't think much of Russell, he is perpetually being thrown out as a cap dump. If you want to keep him and his $4 mill cap hit for another year that is up to you, but some of your fan base might see it differently.

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
Wouldn't do Kerfoot for Russell one-for-one honestly. The term attached to his deal is going to turn away most suitors. Not the type of guy you want centering the third line in a playoff game.
Speaking as a fan of the team that eliminated his - he actually did pretty well. One of the few guys who was consistently putting in the work alongside Matthews and (when he was in) Muzzin.

Reactions: Petrus

TFHockey

The CEO of 7-8-0
May 16, 2014
Edmonton
It seems like a good number of Edm fans don't think much of Russell, he is perpetually being thrown out as a cap dump. If you want to keep him and his $4 mill cap hit for another year that is up to you, but some of your fan base might see it differently.

I think Russell will get moved, but not at the cost of a first. Nobody thinks that.

Intangir

Aug 14, 2008
Montreal, QC
I think you guys would be best to target a 3C in free agency than to lose what assets you have trying to trade for one. A guy like Haula out of Florida might be a good target for you. He's fast, talented and works hard altough he does have a tendency to get injured so he won't cost too much, maybe 3 million dollars a season on a short deal. Don't know if he will be available though.

Cody Eakin could be had too, although I'm not too sure Winniped will let him go with their weakness at C. Derrick Brassard also played relatively well as a 3C with the Islanders and would probably be quite cheap to sign on a two-year deal.

Johan Larsson would be a solid grab too as he is really underrated and wouldn't cost more than maybe 2 millions. He would be fabulous as a shutdown 3C for you guys, the way he plays really reminds me of Marcus Kruger. But he was in the doghouse in Buffalo for no reason at times during the season so they likely won't re-sign him even though he was their best defensive forward last year in my opinion. Their potential loss, your gain.

And you've also got a couple options out there for trade, but they've already been mentioned.

Anyways, don't get too down and lose hope, your team is on the upswing. Just shore up that third line, make some small adjustments on D, draft a good goalie, and you'll be good with progression from your young players.

Last edited:
Reactions: KevinRedkey

HockeyWooot

Jan 28, 2020
You can have Brandon Sutter for free he's got 1 year left on deal paying 4.375 per.

Agree, probably not free but next to free by the expensive AAV.

Sutter is overpaid, but would be a good option for EDM. He’s been extrmely effective these playoffs, the Oilers would certainly be a better team with him in his lineup. If they like him they can resign, and if they don’t they can let him walk.

Reactions: 82Ninety42011

FameFlame069

Oct 2, 2017
How about a little #BoA action? Russell at 1M retention and Pool Party for Ryan and your 3rd rounder

Calgary gets a fill in Dman next year and hopefully Pool can explode either on the top line so Lindholm can C the 2nd or 3rd line.

Edmonton gets an excellent 3rd Line C who can defend against the best of them and everyone can forget about the 3rd in the Neal/Lucic swap.

razor8

Nov 28, 2017
Puljujärvi a premier asset? Really? He hasn't played a game in the NHL for 1,5 years.

ConnorMcNugesaitl

Sep 23, 2012
Agree, probably not free but next to free by the expensive AAV.

Sutter is overpaid, but would be a good option for EDM. He’s been extrmely effective these playoffs, the Oilers would certainly be a better team with him in his lineup. If they like him they can resign, and if they don’t they can let him walk.

I don't think Edmonton would take him without sending back equal cap like Russell.

I'm not sure any team would take him for free, not knocking the player just things are tight and it doesn't make sense to just take on that cap hit without sending money back.

Reactions: ivanlwan

TopTenPlayz

Jun 6, 2014
What about Danault for Bouchard+1st (lottery protected)? Or something along that line...

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia
Danault + Tatar + Mete or Kulak for Oilers' 2020 1st + Nurse?
Montreal better not move Danault. He is very under rated. Will leave hole in our team.

I see potential 3 team deal. McCann in Edmonton. Poolparty, Murray, Oilers 7th, and Pens first in Montreal. Domi, Lindgren and Caps 3rd in Pitt?

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario
On his own, he wouldn’t be worth a 1st but add on the Russell $4 mill cap dump and that is a lot of value. Ottawa would not trade for Russell Without a significant sweetener, nor does Ottawa need to trade Tierney.

Russell will make $1.5M in real dollars (which will actually be more like $1.2M after escrow). For a team with cap space he's actually cheaper than pretty much anyone the team could sign for what he brings to the. He is a guy coaches love. Is a respected veteran and is a serviceable #5 defenseman who can play both sides of the ice. For a team like Ottawa that will not come close to the cap ceiling Russell would be an asset rather than a liability.

viceroy

Mar 5, 2011
Montreal suburbs
I’d still like to see the Habs to take a chance on Puljujarvi.

I think a 3rd is reasonable for him.

Montreal being stacked at Center could make a prospect like Poehling expendable. i could see a 1 for 1 swap for Puljujarvi

Heck no. Poehling is coming up nice and slow and I can see him centering the 3rd line in a couple of years especially if Danault wants a huge contract in the future. Also let's be honest it's at least a 75% chance right now that Puljujarvi completely busts.

Danault + Tatar + Mete or Kulak for Oilers' 2020 1st + Nurse?

Danault is still too important for the Habs right now. Suzuki still needs some training wheels for a bit.

I see potential 3 team deal. McCann in Edmonton. Poolparty, Murray, Oilers 7th, and Pens first in Montreal. Domi, Lindgren and Caps 3rd in Pitt?

Why would the Habs go and get Murray? So Domi + spare parts for a 1st + a bust and RFA rights to a goalie we don't need.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad