Prospect Info: 37th overall: Vancouver selects Jett Woo (D, Moose Jaw)

Status
Not open for further replies.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
I’m really surprised you have such a simplistic and negative view on a canucks prospect. 18 points in 14 games on the second pairing is beyond expectations of a physical/ safe defensmen. He is no Carcone or Archibald so I understand your lack of passion. Back on topic. Great to see Woo’s offense coming through. I think everyone wasn’t certain what his offensive ceiling was due to injuries and a lack of prime opportunities in the past. Woo is so important to the team due to the pathetic lack of RHD prospects in the system

Every CHL defender taken between pick 25 and 55 :

27. Nicolas Beaudoin - 21 points in 19 games.
31. Alexander Alexeyev - 30 points in 26 games.
36. Jared McIsaac - 21 points in 20 games.
37. Jett Woo - 20 points in 22 games.
41. Bode Wilde - 22 points in 21 games.
53. Calen Addison - 30 points in 28 games.

My comment wasn’t negative at all. He’s doing what he needs to do to justify his draft position and remain a solid prospect. If he can’t score 50-65 points as a two-way defender in his draft+1 year, he shouldn’t have been a high 2nd round pick.

Ainec

Panetta was not racist
Jun 20, 2009
I’m really surprised you have such a simplistic and negative view on a canucks prospect. 18 points in 14 games on the second pairing is beyond expectations of a physical/ safe defensmen. He is no Carcone or Archibald so I understand your lack of passion. Back on topic. Great to see Woo’s offense coming through. I think everyone wasn’t certain what his offensive ceiling was due to injuries and a lack of prime opportunities in the past. Woo is so important to the team due to the pathetic lack of RHD prospects in the system

Don't see how it's negative to say Woo is justifying his high 2nd round pick status

Expectations would be around ppg

It's only what, 20 games? If Woo hits 75 and is top 4 in team scoring then he'd be smashing expectations. We are not there yet

PG Canuck

Mar 29, 2010

My comment wasn’t negative at all. He’s doing what he needs to do to justify his draft position and remain a solid prospect. If he can’t score 50-65 points as a two-way defender in his draft+1 year, he shouldn’t have been a high 2nd round pick.

So what’re saying is, plenty of other teams have a prospect like Woo? Hmmm, this is crazy.

Reactions: geebaan

nuck luck

Mar 2, 2016

Unless you're talking about the Norris...all talk is negative!

Have I got this right? :sarcasm:

Catamarca Livin

Jul 29, 2010
Woo was injured before season so may explain slower start. More impressive he seems to be a game star quite regularily. MS shows where he sits relative offensively but those stats do not show defensive ability. Del Zotto, Pouliot were high scoring juniors who have some major flaws when under pressure. I do not know how Woo processes the game so I can not say this is a positive relative to the other draftees but it is a consideration.

clay

Aug 25, 2005
Vancouver
So in comparison to his peers from the 2018 draft Noah Dobson was dreadful pick
15 points in 27 games and -28

Have to have context as well. Dobson is still leading his team in scoring and his team has been completely gutted this year. Also gets the benefit of the doubt of being PPG last year and the #1 defenceman on a Memorial Cup winning team as a 17 year old.

TeddyBare

Jul 28, 2016
Mississauga, Ontario
Have to have context as well. Dobson is still leading his team in scoring and his team has been completely gutted this year. Also gets the benefit of the doubt of being PPG last year and the #1 defenceman on a Memorial Cup winning team as a 17 year old.

Bingo!
only thing I keep seeing in here is stats

Nuckles

_________
Apr 27, 2010
heck
So in comparison to his peers from the 2018 draft Noah Dobson was dreadful pick
15 points in 27 games and -28
0P7S4D2.jpg

Yeah, I don't know how he isn't on a point per game pace...

Reactions: geebaan

Zarpan

Apr 27, 2010
Vancouver

Sounds about right for expectations (50 to 65 points). CHL defenders taken between 25 and 55 during 2013 and 2017 averaged 0.74 PPG in their draft + 1 year. That would translate into 53 points over a 72 game season.

Looks like those players listed above are off to pretty good starts compared to the average in previous years.

Reactions: timw33

ahmon

Jun 25, 2002
Visit site

But that's too simple of point of view to just look at stats to assess their d+1 progress.

Beaudin and Addison are both smaller d men who are much likely to depend on point production to make the NHL.

Both McIsaac and Wilde are imo performing better than most people expected.

Wilde on the prospect board is being called a steal.

Woo is having a very good season.

I would say even defenseman drafted in the mid to late first (15 to 30overall)

If they score ppg after draft that's more of less in line with expectations.

Thing about Jett Woo is that he's not even supposed to be a high point getter in the pros. If he becomes a 20-25 pt d man who can defend and offer a physical presence that's a decent 2nd round pick.
Right now he's showing there 'might' be more to that ceiling.

timw33

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 18, 2007
Victoria
In there D + 1? Please enlighten everyone

Ok sure.

Note that this is exclusively CHL examples, no SEL/NCAA prospects.

I've included several examples of players across a broad spectrum of draft positions, with one (Foote) example of like one of the most well know defensive d-men in recent history, but in general they are all guys who are not expected to light the world on fire offensively in the NHL/run powerplay units and are more known for their overall game/defensive game (whether successful or not)

One thing is clear: as a CHL defensemen hoping to even be a generally lower scoring D-man (15-25ish) in the NHL, you absolutely need to produce at an good clip in CHL (like 0.7PPG).

Yes, there are going to be exceptions, like Marc Methot who has maintained similar production in CHL/NHL, but those are few and far between. However, if you want to rail off a list of examples of low scoring CHL dmen making a dent in the NHL, why don't you enlighten us?

M-A Vlasic

D+1 73 points in 66GP

Travis Hamonic
D+1 40 points in 57GP
D+2 39 points in 31GP

Dan Hamhuis
D+1 60 points in 59GP

Adam Foote
D+1 55 points in 61GP
D+2 69 points in 59GP

Marc Staal
D+1 49 points in 57GP
D+2 34 points in 53GP

Nikita Zadorov
D+1 30 points in 36GP

Marco Scandella
D+1: 37 points in 58GP

Andrew MacDonald
D+1: 58 points in 65GP

Ryan Murray
D+1: 17 points in 23GP

Erik Gudbranson
D+1 34 points in 44GP

Luca Sbisa
D+1: 15 points in 19GP

Kris Russell
D+1 47 points in 55GP
D+2 69 points in 59GP

Icebreakers

Apr 29, 2011
Dobson isn't an offensive dman. He won't be more than a 30 point guy in the NHL. Bouchard would still put up over a ppg on that team.

DownGoesMcDavid

Apr 17, 2017
If Woo can be Travis Hamonic then thats a fantastic pick.

If he becomes an Adam Foote..thats a home run !

His game can be compared to both.

Snatcher Demko

High-End Intangibles
Oct 8, 2006
Woo is a different defenseman than a lot of the others picked around him - he's supposed to be a physical stay-at-home type like Jackman. I don't think he needs to be at a PPG to get to his ceiling but I think at least 0.6 to 0.7 PPG should be floor given his context. Looking pretty decent so far but it's early.

Canucks LB

My Favourite, Gone too soon, RIP Luc, We miss you
Oct 12, 2008
Woo plays like bieksa, he has a style that translates him nicely to the NHL.

Kind of like Nurse in edmonton.

Reactions: The ultimate fan

Breakers

Make Mirrored Visors Legal Again
Aug 5, 2014
Denver Colorado
Why do you say that like thats impossible for him to reach? For a D+1 dman in his 3rd season of play it should be somewhat easy for him. I think he's about to have a really good stretch, I caught one of his showcase games and he looked excellent.

I didn't say it like it is impossible. Plenty of WHL dman alumni never got to point per game, like it is some exact science for success.

timw33

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 18, 2007
Victoria
If Woo can be Travis Hamonic then thats a fantastic pick.

If he becomes an Adam Foote..thats a home run !

His game can be compared to both.

You are missing the original point, which was that yes, he's projected as more of a two-way physical dman, but the historical data suggests that he needs to maintain a good ~0.65-7PPG clip to keep up with his draft position/expectations. Currently he's doing that, and that's great, we just need to see him continue to thrive as he did have a pretty awful 20ish game stretch last year.

Jett Woo is a benning pick, so he is garbage until he is up for the Norris. He better do it by D+3.

Who is saying that? Woo at this point is keeping up with his draft spot, expectations, and peers, and that's great. Keep it up.

topched88

Jan 21, 2007
I dunno man. I would venture to guess that there isn't many impact D-men in the NHL right now that played on the second pairing of their junior team in their draft +1 year.

Catamarca Livin

Jul 29, 2010
I dunno man. I would venture to guess that there isn't many impact D-men in the NHL right now that played on the second pairing of their junior team in their draft +1 year.
Depends who they are playing behind doesn't it? Not many junior teams have two high end players who play same side.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad