Post-Game Talk: #37 | FLYERS 2 at Panthers 3 | Thu., Dec. 28, 2017, 7:30 pm ET

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
But you get my point.

They lost 10 in a row but it's not like they were the worse team for all of those games. There was a lot of bad luck involved.

I mean yeah that’s hockey. Some times things go your way when they shouldn’t & sometimes they don’t when they should. The Flyers really aren’t that good of a team though. There’s only a small fraction of players that is actually dragging this team to any hint of respectability this year. When you can’t score at 5v5 outside a few players you’re going to be in trouble. You can’t rely on the PP & other situations all the time to get your scoring in.

Reactions: renberg

BackToTheBrierePatch

Justice for Cricket
Feb 19, 2003
Concord, New Hampshire
I mean yeah that’s hockey. Some times things go your way when they shouldn’t & sometimes they don’t when they should. The Flyers really aren’t that good of a team though. There’s only a small fraction of players that is actually dragging this team to any hint of respectability this year. When you can’t score at 5v5 outside a few players you’re going to be in trouble. You can’t rely on the PP & other situations all the time to get your scoring in.

they have been better 5 on 5 this year than last. Yeah that is not saying much but if the PK was just say average this team is not that bad record wise given everything. More than anything else its the shoddy pk that has hurt this team.

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
they have been better 5 on 5 this year than last. Yeah that is not saying much but if the PK was just say average this team is not that bad record wise given everything. More than anything else its the shoddy pk that has hurt this team.

They’re in the bottom ten again in 5v5 scoring. They’ve improved but just barely & that’s really only because of three players in Voracek, Giroux, & Couturier who have cooled down at 5v5 since their first few months. When that happens you basically need everything else to go right to come out on top & that hasn’t happened. The PP is middle of the pack, the PK stinks, they haven’t won a game in OT yet, etc.

The Flyers have 63 5v5 goals. That trio has 25 of them. Voracek & Giroux both have 25 5v5 points while Couturier has 21. The next highest 5v5 point total on the team is 9 with Raffl, Provorov, Laughton, & Gostisbehere.

Reactions: Rebels57

BackToTheBrierePatch

Justice for Cricket
Feb 19, 2003
Concord, New Hampshire
No denying they are top heavy. I guess the hope is later in the year Patrick gets his legs under him like Ghost and Giroux did last year in the 2nd half and hopefully he can get his line going production wise.
there is no hope for the PK so long as Lappy is around. We already know what Elliot is.

FLYguy3911

Sanheim Lover
Oct 19, 2006
They were a boderline top 10 possession team last year. This year they are 20th by CF%.

They are 23rd in 5v5 scoring and are outscoring teams mostly because of Brian Elliott. He has been one of the best 5v5 goalies by the numbers (PK is a different story).

16-17
xGF/60 2.18 (20th)
xGA/60 2.24 (13th)
xGF% 49.34 (18th)

17-18
xGF/60 2.27 (19th)
xGA/60 2.23 (7th)
xGF% 50.48 (16th)

Winston Wolf

May 15, 2003
Philadelphia
Not long ago I watched Vegas dominate and hold Florida to 3 shots in the final 30 minutes of the game. Pretty depressing watching this same team completely outclass the Flyers.

On the bright side, Flyers are back in place to pick in the top 10. I would also expect to see Edmonton and Florida pass them soon.

BritainStix

F**k Cutter Gauthier
Oct 20, 2016
Its kinda painful to see how little they believe in hak. It took 3 goals for the team to abandon his idiotic methods and start playing hockey.

If Hak is in place next season i dint think ill be watching the team. Ive got better things to do than see my team turtle week in week out. The system is massively flawed yet we continue with this garbage.

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
Right, the team isn't good, I'm not arguing that they are.

All I'm saying is that losing streak isn't a real representation of the organizations future outlook like some are trying to paint it. As if the rebuild is off track and things are falling apart.

The team, as a whole, is playing like shit, but it really means nothing in the big picture. The vets we care about keeping around aren't the problem, the young guys we're depending on for the future aren't the problem (even if they aren't the solution just yet), and all the players that are currently a problem are short term tumors who we expect to be gone sooner than later.

So constantly pointing at the losing streak as some sort of checkpoint of failure makes as little sense as pointing at last years winning streak as a sign of success. Both were luck, neither have a place in evaluating anything. That's all I'm saying.

Reactions: Curufinwe

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
As I said during the game, coming off a 4day break without seeing the Flyers, I opted to flick to other channels during the game. It was just boring as hell to watch.

And we talk about playing a bad Florida team....that team has 1 less point than us. We are bad too. We are 6 points out of the playoffs. We are also 6 points the other way from picking 4th in the draft. At this point, I rather the latter.

At least there are the WJC games that are much more exciting to watch today.

Reactions: Curufinwe

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
Two mediocre clubs and the home team won.

This probably goes back to before Hak, but I always expect these Flyers to struggle coming off a break. And look there's a five day gap in the schedule coming up soon followed by a game in Jersey. That has disaster written all over it.

And another one at the end of January for the All Star game, followed by a game in Washington.

Last edited:

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
Similar to what Tripod said, at this point my hopes for this year are ...

1) draft pick
2) points for guys I like
3) whatever it takes to get Hak fired

Playoffs are irrelevant because they have no chance to do anything and making it might extend Hakstols life. I still have some faith in Hextalls competence, but that only extends to this offseason.

I got worried when that stupid piece of shit Carchidi decided to add his own assumptions to that interview (where Hextall shut down the reporters questions about the coaches hot seat, but he didn't actually say "and beyond"). He was just tired of answering the same questions. I said all along, if Hakstol goes it won't be mid season. So there's still a chance after this year. That's my tiny glimmer of hope and the worse the season gets the more it shines.

General Joseph

Dec 25, 2017
Florida Panhandle
The 10 game winning streak was misleading , i agree they were involved in very close games during that streak . In my view good teams figure out how to win those close games , and the Flyers just have not quite got to being good yet .The Eagles played pretty bad the other night on offense , but they did what good teams do in those situations , they won ..Maybe the Flyers can beat Tampa tonight and get a little confidence going ..

FatTugboatFlahr

Apr 6, 2012
Philadelphia
Similar to what Tripod said, at this point my hopes for this year are ...

1) draft pick
2) points for guys I like
3) whatever it takes to get Hak fired

Playoffs are irrelevant because they have no chance to do anything and making it might extend Hakstols life. I still have some faith in Hextalls competence, but that only extends to this offseason.

I got worried when that stupid piece of **** Carchidi decided to add his own assumptions to that interview (where Hextall shut down the reporters questions about the coaches hot seat, but he didn't actually say "and beyond"). He was just tired of answering the same questions. I said all along, if Hakstol goes it won't be mid season. So there's still a chance after this year. That's my tiny glimmer of hope and the worse the season gets the more it shines.

Imagine that asshole just reporting what's actually said.

Hiesenberg

Jul 2, 2013
My guess is the Flyers are a Top 10 pick again.

They'll get St. Louis pick, so they'll pick Top 10 and then again in the 20s. Since Hextall wants to load up on prospects, I guess that's good. Problem is the paying customer keeps watching a poor product on the ice.

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
St.L has at least dropped down the standings a bit and could drop further since lots of other teams just below have games in hand on them.

They will be a playoff team but having them drop, then choke in the playoffs would be nice. Right now, we would have pick 10 and 24. The below mock was from Dec 28th.

2018 NHL Mock Draft | 2018 NHL Draft | NHL Draft

Happy with Kupari and Noel?

Plus the 1st from whoever we trade Simmonds to. :sarcasm:

Last edited:

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
They're not a talented team, and it's time for some people to finally accept that, and some of their young talent are years away from being players who can carry a team.

Sanheim has a lot of potential, but we're not seeing it yet.
Konecny got moved to the 1st line, and it looks as bad as it did with Simmonds, only came to life when Voracek returned.
Konecny looked better playing with Laughton, he's not a top 6 winger right now and won't be for a couple more years.
Patrick is still a month or two away from being effective, what did he show with Raffl and Voracek?

Move Simmonds while he still has value, great in front of the net, otherwise meh.
Why does Weise play? Because he's the only player other than Simmonds who is willing to take the punishment in front of the net.

Leier, Weal, MacDonald could go MIA and no one would notice.
Gudas is not the same player this year, maybe playing with Sanheim, maybe last season was a bit of an anomaly.
Elliott is an average goalie, has some nice stretches, but also allows too many Mr Softee goals, similar to Mason.

Despite all that, if the Flyers had average special teams, they'd be a playoff team.
You aren't going to play .500 hockey without great talent with a below average PP and a putrid PK.

Hiesenberg

Jul 2, 2013
I'm getting closer to the trade Simmonds for a haul each and every passing day.

If they could get a couple of 1sts and maybe a high end prospect (forward preferably) I think I could swallow it.

renberg

Dec 31, 2003
Lewes Delaware
forums.hfboards.com
This team is bad. However it's what you'd expect of a bunch that had only a couple of good veteran players, a few young guys who are adjusting to the League and a bunch of never wases and has beens. Let's accept that Hextall and Hakstol both know this since it is obvious.
My expectation is that we will start to see an exodus of players after the AS game. There might even be a shocker deal involving Giroux or Simmonds. This roster will get younger. Look for Lindblom and Veccione to be coming up from LV as trades get made. The losses will continue but at least we'll see some energized play from the young guys.
TPTB, have been trying to soften the blow of the transition years to a young team but it hasn't worked. The bridge guys to the young roster like Read, Weiss, Raffl, Flip, etc. just aren't that good. (Remember how easy it was to fill out the protected players for the expansion draft?) Probably looking at the fifth pick in the draft when it's all said and done.

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
They're not a talented team, and it's time for some people to finally accept that, and some of their young talent are years away from being players who can carry a team.

Sanheim has a lot of potential, but we're not seeing it yet.
Konecny got moved to the 1st line, and it looks as bad as it did with Simmonds, only came to life when Voracek returned.
Konecny looked better playing with Laughton, he's not a top 6 winger right now and won't be for a couple more years.
Patrick is still a month or two away from being effective, what did he show with Raffl and Voracek?

Move Simmonds while he still has value, great in front of the net, otherwise meh.
Why does Weise play? Because he's the only player other than Simmonds who is willing to take the punishment in front of the net.

Leier, Weal, MacDonald could go MIA and no one would notice.
Gudas is not the same player this year, maybe playing with Sanheim, maybe last season was a bit of an anomaly.
Elliott is an average goalie, has some nice stretches, but also allows too many Mr Softee goals, similar to Mason.

Despite all that, if the Flyers had average special teams, they'd be a playoff team.
You aren't going to play .500 hockey without great talent with a below average PP and a putrid PK.
The game is "Two Truths and a Lie", not "Four Lies". :skeptic:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad