Post-Game Talk: #37 | FLYERS 2 at Panthers 3 | Thu., Dec. 28, 2017, 7:30 pm ET

Danko

You have no marbles
Jul 28, 2004
This team, ugh. Killing my desire to watch with each passing game.

They keep slowing themselves up in the neutral zone by getting a pass and instead of going straight into the offensive zone with it they decide to stop or skate across the middle of the ice or turn around.

FlyersMania2

#FireHakstol
Jul 4, 2007
NJ
Two mediocre clubs and the home team won.

This probably goes back to before Hak, but I always expect these Flyers to struggle coming off a break. And look there's a five day gap in the schedule coming up soon followed by a game in Jersey. That has disaster written all over it.

And another one at the end of January for the All Star game, followed by a game in Washington.

He's the coach, he is literally paid to motivate them to do their job. If he ALSO can't make them perform after a break, he is not doing his job.

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
I agree I'd rather see a young player or prospect instead of just another mid 1st round pick... however... I wonder what kind of options would open up if we were willing to package Simmonds with one of our 1sts to move up.

I admit I know nearly nothing about this years draft past basic scouting reports, so is there someone who would be worth that?

JojoTheWhale

CORN BOY
May 22, 2008
I agree I'd rather see a young player or prospect instead of just another mid 1st round pick... however... I wonder what kind of options would open up if we were willing to package Simmonds with one of our 1sts to move up.

I admit I know nearly nothing about this years draft past basic scouting reports, so is there someone who would be worth that?

You would need to find a team that strongly believes they underachieved this year. I’m not saying it’s impossible, but it’s a pretty narrow market.

I guess the obvious answers today are Montreal and Edmonton.

Stizzle

Feb 3, 2012
If we trade Simmons I don't want a pick headlining the package we recieve.

I want a proven top prospect.

The problem is proven top prospects rarely get traded. It's easier said than done. You have to draft your own. Look at the recent Avs deal. Neither Nashville or Sens included there top prospects. Fabbro, Tolvanen, Chabot, White, and Brown went no where.

Luckily for us, if the Flyers can do one thing, it's draft.

Reactions: JojoTheWhale

Magua

Entirely Palatable Product
Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes
You would need to find a team that strongly believes they underachieved this year. I’m not saying it’s impossible, but it’s a pretty narrow market.

I guess the obvious answers today are Montreal and Edmonton.

Edmonton is obviously always on the table, though they don't really have a realistic asset I'm intrigued by other than that potential top 10 pick. Montreal is a mess. Their GM might get fired, and if they spend assets on something, it's for a center.

It definitely isn't an easy thing to determine because while every team wants him they have to fit the criteria. We have other quality assets we could add to Simmonds to make things really interesting and not just the basic picks/prospects route, but that's going to have to be an unusual, lucky circumstance. As was said above, top top prospects don't usually get traded.

We've discussed this before but Anaheim makes a world of sense. They're underachieving (but not catastrophically) due to health issues but should still be a contending type team -- or at least in their mind, which is all that matters -- for the next several years. They're out west, love players of his ilk, could use a wing.........depending your feelings of Sam Steel, him + the present 13th pick is a really interesting offer. We'd add a B piece, I'm sure.

The problem is proven top prospects rarely get traded. It's easier said than done. You have to draft your own. Look at the recent Avs deal. Neither Nashville or Sens included there top prospects. Fabbro, Tolvanen, Chabot, White, and Brown went no where.

Luckily for us, if the Flyers can do one thing, it's draft.

I don't think Turris or Duchene have the GM drool effect of Simmonds. It's not rational, but it's only to our benefit. That trade was rather unusual though. Nashville committed robbery; Colorado dinged Duchene's value and had to go for quantity (which they did well on, but we are going quality); and Ottawa was just stupid.

Reactions: JojoTheWhale

JojoTheWhale

CORN BOY
May 22, 2008
Edmonton is obviously always on the table, though they don't really have a realistic asset I'm intrigued by other than that potential top 10 pick. Montreal is a mess. Their GM might get fired, and if they spend assets on something, it's for a center.

It definitely isn't an easy thing to determine because while every team wants him they have to fit the criteria. We have other quality assets we could add to Simmonds to make things really interesting and not just the basic picks/prospects route, but that's going to have to be an unusual, lucky circumstance. As was said above, top top prospects don't usually get traded.

We've discussed this before but Anaheim makes a world of sense. They're underachieving (but not catastrophically) due to health issues but should still be a contending type team -- or at least in their mind, which is all that matters -- for the next several years. They're out west, love players of his ilk, could use a wing.........depending your feelings of Sam Steel, him + the present 13th pick is a really interesting offer. We'd add a B piece, I'm sure.

I don't think Turris or Duchene have the GM drool effect of Simmonds. It's not rational, but it's only to our benefit. That trade was rather unusual though. Nashville committed robbery; Colorado dinged Duchene's value and had to go for quantity (which they did well on, but we are going quality); and Ottawa was just stupid.

Yeah, I’m probably more willing to give up a premium for Steel than some others. Enough of a premium to budge Murray though, I’m unsure. Is Simmonds really a fit for what Anaheim needs? I know some pieces could be moved around, but is a somewhat physical primarily PP net-front piece a game-changer for them? I would imagine they would have to feel that to be the case to get Steel regardless of the secondary pieces.

As you and others have said, this is why I come back to pick(s) being the likely primary return. If that’s the case, there’s either going to be some serious gambling going on from both sides at the deadline or Hextall’s not going to maximize his trade value by doing it as a rental.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad