GDT: #37| Apr. 4, 2013| Flyers at Maple Leafs| 7:00 p.m. ET

blinds

Jan 5, 2012
Oh how I'd missed seeing my beloved Flyers live and in the flesh

Flyers have become so much more active with their sticks in the defensive zone, on the PK and on the forecheck. The results show.

Whether it was out of necessity because of the injuries or deliberately because of a talking to from above, Lavi has finally altered/modified his system to accommodate the personnel on the ice. The "D" aren't pinching nearly as much as before and overall the Flyers look to be incorporating a more traditional approach to team D. The results show.

The PP frankly looks awesome: The crispness of the passes, the movement of the skaters, Simmonds/Hartnell creating/making space up front. Irregardless of this season's outcome, this variation of the PP will be lethal next season as well. It's very difficult to defend and you see, not just guys like Kimmo and G but everyone making in game reads and adjustments to the other team's defensive positioning.

Some guys really caught my attention last night: Gervais, both Schenns, Couts. Taking Brayden out of the conversation, the other three seem to have taken a page from the Pronger/Kimmo school "Rocking Chair" style D. I was really impressed with all 3's defensive poise and positioning last night. I was very impressed with Brayden Schenn last night. His game is starting to blossom into that projected gritty two-way Mike Richards type player as advertised. His emergence really anchors that 2nd line and caused fits for the Leafs defensive matchups. You can also see the immediate benefits for a guy like G and the top line in terms of the other team unsure on who to pair assign to what line. Again, looking forward, our top 6 is starting to come together and when you factor in their ages, the Flyers top 2 lines are going to be lethal for years to come.

I think, on some level, the injuries are a mixed blessing. A player like "Gus" is a classic example of a guy who's going to have growing pains and potential costly turnovers right in front of your eyes but he's also a guy that needs the minutes at the NHL level to overcome those mistakes and break through. You can see Gus analyzing the play both on and off the ice and learning as the game goes along. Management and coaching have to show him more patience and make a commitment to him. He's potentially a #3 D (a stretch, I know), I was very impressed with his play, instincts and hockey acumen last night.

There was a suggestion here a few nights ago that a certain type of criticism directed towards Bryz shows a lack of understanding towards the position. Well, that may be but I'm a former goalie who played at a very high level in Quebec, I've been around the game my whole life and I now coach minor hockey and I'd like to think I've learned a thing or two in my day. The one thing televised hockey, in almost all its years, has never conveyed to the viewer is body language. Sure, sometimes an announcer brings it up but when you're at a live game, it's so perceptible, almost ominous. I like Bryz, I really do. I'm a Flyers fan for a myriad of reasons, the least of which not being that the organization's history is riddled with colourful characters and outspoken minds. That being said, I cannot, for the life of me, as the expression goes, remember a goalie who's body language was as God awful as his. I was shocked as to how noticeable it is during the game, during the TV timeouts. During the first intermission, I ran into a friend who is the owner/operator of a local rink here in Toronto. That's all we could talk about. It's right there! You can see it on the player's faces, guys like Kimmo, even G, they don't like him and you can see they don't have any confidence in him and don't want to play for him. I'm sure some will cite fatigue but these Irish eyes are not mistaken, the body language doesn't lie, when you've been around the game you can spot when it's mental and not physical. Costly mistake tangents aside, he simply is not the guy for this team and it's right there for all to see. I have little doubt, after watching last night's game that Bryz is going to be bought out this summer and that a plan is most likely already in place.

All in all, It was a great game to have gone to. If they fall short of making the playoffs, if nothing else, this run has shown the direction we're headed, the strength of our offensive core and the priorities for the upcoming off season.

I can only imagine the euphoria and personal pride I would feel If I could see them play live each and every game.

Amazing post, I agree with everything you said. Only thing is i don't think teams are too confused about which line to match, that's still Girouxs. I really like how Schenn is progressing though, hopefully we can see him really breakout next year. This year he's shown flashes, but disappears for a long time.

As far as Bryz, that sounds right on. Its pretty obvious the team has no confidence in him. It's pretty obvious just seeing all the penalties kimmo is taking when anyone gets an open look on Bryz. If kimmo isn't showing confidence in our goalie, i think it's pretty likely that extends down the line up. Considering the teams defensive prerogative has been blocking shots it seems coaching has no confidence either.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train

Flyers have become so much more active with their sticks in the defensive zone, on the PK and on the forecheck. The results show.

Whether it was out of necessity because of the injuries or deliberately because of a talking to from above, Lavi has finally altered/modified his system to accommodate the personnel on the ice. The "D" aren't pinching nearly as much as before and overall the Flyers look to be incorporating a more traditional approach to team D. The results show.

The PP frankly looks awesome: The crispness of the passes, the movement of the skaters, Simmonds/Hartnell creating/making space up front. Irregardless of this season's outcome, this variation of the PP will be lethal next season as well. It's very difficult to defend and you see, not just guys like Kimmo and G but everyone making in game reads and adjustments to the other team's defensive positioning.

Some guys really caught my attention last night: Gervais, both Schenns, Couts. Taking Brayden out of the conversation, the other three seem to have taken a page from the Pronger/Kimmo school "Rocking Chair" style D. I was really impressed with all 3's defensive poise and positioning last night. I was very impressed with Brayden Schenn last night. His game is starting to blossom into that projected gritty two-way Mike Richards type player as advertised. His emergence really anchors that 2nd line and caused fits for the Leafs defensive matchups. You can also see the immediate benefits for a guy like G and the top line in terms of the other team unsure on who to pair assign to what line. Again, looking forward, our top 6 is starting to come together and when you factor in their ages, the Flyers top 2 lines are going to be lethal for years to come.

I think, on some level, the injuries are a mixed blessing. A player like "Gus" is a classic example of a guy who's going to have growing pains and potential costly turnovers right in front of your eyes but he's also a guy that needs the minutes at the NHL level to overcome those mistakes and break through. You can see Gus analyzing the play both on and off the ice and learning as the game goes along. Management and coaching have to show him more patience and make a commitment to him. He's potentially a #3 D (a stretch, I know), I was very impressed with his play, instincts and hockey acumen last night.

There was a suggestion here a few nights ago that a certain type of criticism directed towards Bryz shows a lack of understanding towards the position. Well, that may be but I'm a former goalie who played at a very high level in Quebec, I've been around the game my whole life and I now coach minor hockey and I'd like to think I've learned a thing or two in my day. The one thing televised hockey, in almost all its years, has never conveyed to the viewer is body language. Sure, sometimes an announcer brings it up but when you're at a live game, it's so perceptible, almost ominous. I like Bryz, I really do. I'm a Flyers fan for a myriad of reasons, the least of which not being that the organization's history is riddled with colourful characters and outspoken minds. That being said, I cannot, for the life of me, as the expression goes, remember a goalie who's body language was as God awful as his. I was shocked as to how noticeable it is during the game, during the TV timeouts. During the first intermission, I ran into a friend who is the owner/operator of a local rink here in Toronto. That's all we could talk about. It's right there! You can see it on the player's faces, guys like Kimmo, even G, they don't like him and you can see they don't have any confidence in him and don't want to play for him. I'm sure some will cite fatigue but these Irish eyes are not mistaken, the body language doesn't lie, when you've been around the game you can spot when it's mental and not physical. Costly mistake tangents aside, he simply is not the guy for this team and it's right there for all to see. I have little doubt, after watching last night's game that Bryz is going to be bought out this summer and that a plan is most likely already in place.

All in all, It was a great game to have gone to. If they fall short of making the playoffs, if nothing else, this run has shown the direction we're headed, the strength of our offensive core and the priorities for the upcoming off season.

I can only imagine the euphoria and personal pride I would feel If I could see them play live each and every game.

Yeah, I'll quote this whole text. I'm only responding to the part about players not liking/having confidence in him. I started noticing a long time ago, that if anybody has a chance at a decent scoring chance, the defensemen go above and beyond in their attempts to prevent it. This often results in a penalty. They'll do whatever it takes to prevent the shot, and if it means going on the PK...oh well. They don't trust him to make the save. And I mean, there are times where they could easily inhibit the opposing player's ability to shoot without taking a penalty, but that apparently isn't good enough and they'd rather shut him down like clutch and grab is still allowed. I can't blame them, because there have been times where they've challenged the shooter like normal, he gets a shot off, and it goes in. I've also noticed that Timonen and Coburn seem to be the biggest culprits. It's probably not a coincidence that they've also played with Bryzgalov the longest of any Dmen.

BleedOrange

BuildThroughTheDraft
Aug 14, 2005
Oshawa Ontario
I was. I like Schenn and glad he is a flyer, but he is not the type of dman we need. As you see we consistently get pinned in our own zone by the lack of mobility of our defenders to skate the puck out of our zone. Teams play the passing lanes and dare us to try to skate the puck out of the zone and strip us if we do.

What we needed to trade jvr for was a very mobile puck handling dman like a Del Zotto or a Slava voynov. The only reason why we got Schenn was because of his last name and if you think otherwise you are wrong. If luke and Brayden weren't brothers luke would not be a flyer

We traded for Luke cause of his last name and that his brother plays for us now that is funny and wrong.:shakeheadYes we need a puck moving dman but also you can never have enough of the type of game Luke Schenn brings.:yo:

GingerFetish

Feb 26, 2013
Yeah, I'll quote this whole text. I'm only responding to the part about players not liking/having confidence in him. I started noticing a long time ago, that if anybody has a chance at a decent scoring chance, the defensemen go above and beyond in their attempts to prevent it. This often results in a penalty. They'll do whatever it takes to prevent the shot, and if it means going on the PK...oh well. They don't trust him to make the save. And I mean, there are times where they could easily inhibit the opposing player's ability to shoot without taking a penalty, but that apparently isn't good enough and they'd rather shut him down like clutch and grab is still allowed. I can't blame them, because there have been times where they've challenged the shooter like normal, he gets a shot off, and it goes in. I've also noticed that Timonen and Coburn seem to be the biggest culprits. It's probably not a coincidence that they've also played with Bryzgalov the longest of any Dmen.

Lots of unnecessary blocked shots from angles that shouldn't go in.

SgtJoseph*

As a former goalie myself i enjoyed your post and perspective from last nights game etc..I think anyone who watched the game last night could tell Bryz was struggling which was MAGNIFIED by the TSN crew who made it a point to make light of every mistep or perceived mistep Bryz had last night.....I saw the same body language you did, and what i saw was a very tired goalie who was playing a back to back and like his 20 something game in a row......The GUY is mentally and physically tired, but still battled and won the game...Reimer gave up 2 i am sure he would like back ? Not much said about that last night ?

Our club blocks too many shots for sure and take too many penalties trying to go above and beyond , but MANY times its because they got BURNED and caught pinching and are trying to catch back up with the play......Its that simple.

The RANGERS over the last few years are typically at or near the top in blocked shots , is it because they do not trust Henrik ? .As a former goalie i will tell you a hated my D men blocking ceretain shots, because of being screened and certainly because of crazy deflections, one of which i still have a scar under my chin from that got up under my old school mask lol . ( i played in the 70s) .

Our club is at or near the top in Penalties which certainly can reek havok on ones save % etc, mainly because of the quality of shots a goalie may face etc during a power play. I believe the Leafs are near the top as well playing short handed.

Do i think Bryz is a " great " goalie and can do no wrong ? Absolutely not, i know what great goalies are all about having watched Bernard Marcel Parent play live back in his day.Personally i was the FIRST one on this board to post my thoughts about BOB and what i saw in the tapes of him from the KHL when i learned he was picked up by the Flyers undrafted.......Hated seeing the Lad leave, but i was happy about the situation he was going to where i thought he would be given a little more leash to work.......He has been looking great of late and i still think he is the BEST post to post on the planet as i posted a few years back after watching film of him..

I always try and look at things as the cup being half full, and i try and do that to keep a positive outlook on things.Trying to be positive or optimistic about the Flyers and certain players who may be struggling etc is a lonely endeavor at times on this board lol.....................but i learned about what that is like having played goal 40 years ago ! lol

Looking forward to Mase getting some work in and Bryz gettin some rest after his last 4 wins.........Then working toward getting in the playoffs !

CanadianFlyer88

Knublin' PPs
Feb 12, 2004
Van City
Our club is at or near the top in Penalties which certainly can reek havok on ones save % etc, mainly because of the quality of shots a goalie may face etc during a power play. I believe the Leafs are near the top as well playing short handed.

Bryz is 56th amongst all goaltenders with a 0.906 save percentage at even strength.

His save percentage while shorthanded is 0.868, which puts him 34th amongst all goaltenders. While the Flyers are on the powerplay, it's 0.870, good for 57th.

Keep in mind that this includes every goalie who has played some time this season.

SgtJoseph*

Bryz is 56th amongst all goaltenders with a 0.906 save percentage at even strength.

His save percentage while shorthanded is 0.868, which puts him 34th amongst all goaltenders. While the Flyers are on the powerplay, it's 0.870, good for 57th.

Keep in mind that this includes every goalie who has played some time this season.

Interesting Stats..........How many of those " every goalie that has played a game" has played 20+ games in a row ? Has won EVERY game their team has won ? and has played with a revolving door line up such has our club had this season with all the injuries, suspensions etc......Bryz ain't great and has certainly struggled, but so has the WHOLE team my friend..

FlyingPhilly

Mar 3, 2013
Philly
We traded for Luke cause of his last name and that his brother plays for us now that is funny and wrong.:shakeheadYes we need a puck moving dman but also you can never have enough of the type of game Luke Schenn brings.:yo:

I disagree. If all Flyers defensemen were LSchenn types, there would be no speed on the backend and we will have 6 d-men who think they are PMDs when they are not. I would like a nice mix of physical stay at home d-men and good PMDs/2 way d-men.

CanadianFlyer88

Knublin' PPs
Feb 12, 2004
Van City
Interesting Stats..........How many of those " every goalie that has played a game" has played 20+ games in a row ? Has won EVERY game their team has won ? and has played with a revolving door line up such has our club had this season with all the injuries, suspensions etc......Bryz ain't great and has certainly struggled, but so has the WHOLE team my friend..

You inferred that, due to the number of penalties the Flyers take, Bryzgalov's save percentage has suffered. The stats actually suggest that he plays relatively worse at even strength than he does on the PK.

That's all that I was pointing out.

SgtJoseph*

You inferred that, due to the number of penalties the Flyers take, Bryzgalov's save percentage has suffered. The stats actually suggest that he plays relatively worse at even strength than he does on the PK.

I stand corrected .Is there a stat on how many goals just after being shorthanded etc? lol

Jack Straw

Moving much too slow.
Sponsor
Jul 19, 2010
New York

The Flyers as a team have played significantly worse at even strength than they have either on the PP or the PK. Shouldn't be surprising when you consider that they have been awful in the transition game and the transition game is much more significant at even strength than on either the PP or the PK.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad