36th Overall - Thatcher Demko

Status
Not open for further replies.

fancouver

Jan 15, 2009
Vancouver
Well that's always the risk with college players, so there's nothing knew. I am just surprised Demko didn't sign though, simply because he seemed pretty involved in the past few developmental camps, made some good friends (Boeser, McCann), and he was pretty happy with the Miller signing, saying he watched a lot of his games when he was young.

Josepho

i want the bartkowski thread back
Jan 1, 2015
British Columbia
I still think he's coming here. Vancouver should have some appeal to him. This is a big decision for a 20 year old to make, obviously he's going to think about it.

Pure West

Oct 3, 2005
Vancouver
Unless there is some strange secret feud he has with Canucks management, I see no reason why he wouldn't sign with the Canucks. I think there's a slight possibility that he might want to finish his senior year at BC, but even then I think the Canucks are still very attractive for him to sign with. If you're a player looking to exercise your right to free agency you're looking for the best opportunity for your career, and there may not be a better one than Vancouver at the moment. There's no prospect depth at the position, no long term guy at the NHL level, and its clear the carpet is laid out for him to start a season or 2 in Utica before getting an NHL opportunity.

We might be a crappy team, but that can often work in your favour when enticing young players to your organization.

WetcoastOrca

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
Not a big deal.
He's probably going to kick back after a long year and relax for a couple of weeks and then make his decision.
Far too early to get concerned about him not signing.

Billy Kvcmu

Dec 5, 2014
West Vancouver
He probably really wants to win the championship so there's still thought of one more year in his brain.
Pretty sure he'll sign in this summer

fancouver

Jan 15, 2009
Vancouver
Unless there is some strange secret feud he has with Canucks management, I see no reason why he wouldn't sign with the Canucks. I think there's a slight possibility that he might want to finish his senior year at BC, but even then I think the Canucks are still very attractive for him to sign with. If you're a player looking to exercise your right to free agency you're looking for the best opportunity for your career, and there may not be a better one than Vancouver at the moment. There's no prospect depth at the position, no long term guy at the NHL level, and its clear the carpet is laid out for him to start a season or 2 in Utica before getting an NHL opportunity.

We might be a crappy team, but that can often work in your favour when enticing young players to your organization.

The Edmonton factor!

stexx

Jun 8, 2014
Doesn't he remain Vancouver property for four years after being drafted, regardless if he goes back for his senior year? He was drafted after his freshman season. The players you see declaring themselves free agents were drafted out of Jr A.

Or does the clock to August 15th start as soon as he graduates, regardless of when he was drafted?

this is an interesting point, and i have no clue. anyone have any idea?

Street Hawk

Feb 18, 2003
Visit site
this is an interesting point, and i have no clue. anyone have any idea?

The clause states you get to be a UFA when your college class graduates. Since Demko had already played his freshman year when he was drafted in 2014, he would graduate in 2017.

stexx

Jun 8, 2014
The clause states you get to be a UFA when your college class graduates. Since Demko had already played his freshman year when he was drafted in 2014, he would graduate in 2017.

ah okay, good to know, best hope he signs this summer then.

westvandal

Sep 18, 2008
Wanting a few weeks to make a huge life decision isn't too big a deal. I expect he will sign sometime in the summer. Red flags don't exist just yet....if he goes back to school I would start to worry as next season winds down....I hope he signs! I can't imagine there are very many better opportunities for him getting fast tracked to the NHL like this one.

Bad Goalie

Jan 2, 2014
Wanting a few weeks to make a huge life decision isn't too big a deal. I expect he will sign sometime in the summer. Red flags don't exist just yet....if he goes back to school I would start to worry as next season winds down....I hope he signs! I can't imagine there are very many better opportunities for him getting fast tracked to the NHL like this one.

If he signs, I wouldn't be surprised to see Benning extend Miller for at least one more season giving Thatcher 2 years to play a lot of games in the AHL rather than one to adjust to the pro game and then right to the NHL where he sits behind Marky or is rushed into the NHL and ends up with the problems most keepers get when rushed into play in the NHL a la Markstrom early in his career. I don't care how successful he has been in WJr tourneys or the NCAA. He will have to grow into a pro keeper just like all the rest unless he is one rare bird. Just the number of games in a season will throw him for a loop.

Street Hawk

Feb 18, 2003
Visit site
If he signs, I wouldn't be surprised to see Benning extend Miller for at least one more season giving Thatcher 2 years to play a lot of games in the AHL rather than one to adjust to the pro game and then right to the NHL where he sits behind Marky or is rushed into the NHL and ends up with the problems most keepers get when rushed into play in the NHL a la Markstrom early in his career. I don't care how successful he has been in WJr tourneys or the NCAA. He will have to grow into a pro keeper just like all the rest unless he is one rare bird. Just the number of games in a season will throw him for a loop.

There is zero rush to extend either of the Canuck goalies. Let it play out, plus if there is indeed an expansion draft, there will be a tonne of goalie movement before July 1, 2017.

Better to see if Markstrom can play the bulk of the games next season. Cause he's the guy who will be the bridge goalie until Demko is ready.

gianni

Apr 8, 2014
I honestly don't believe there's an organization that offers a better combination of development & opportunity going forward. Flat out, the Canucks have the best goalie development program & it's not even close: Cory Schneider & Roberto Luongo were all-stars this season, Eddie Lack went from an undrafted free agent to becoming a solid NHL goalie, and Jacob Markstrom went from going through waivers unclaimed (last year) to arguably becoming a starting goaltender.

Also, I don't see much upside in Thatcher returning to school for his senior year; so if he decides to play at BC again, I think he'll be traded at the draft & the Canucks move on/develop another goalie.
I get the appeal of choosing the team you want to play for, but the grass isn't always greener on the other side (eg. Justin Schultz would've been way better off w/ the Ducks than the Oilers; and I believe Jimmy Vesey made the wrong choice not to sign w/ the Predators as his rookie mistakes would've been insulated by one of the best defenses in the league).

College hockey players should consider that if a team's willing to invest in using a draft selection on you, then they must really believe in you as a future NHLer - they also have a vested interest in you making it that far; whereas other teams that could've drafted you/passed on you might just see you as a free asset that didn't cost them anything if you don't pan out.

Uhmkay

Tryamkin = New Chara
Dec 11, 2006
Vancouver
I honestly don't believe there's an organization that offers a better combination of development & opportunity going forward. Flat out, the Canucks have the best goalie development program & it's not even close: Cory Schneider & Roberto Luongo were all-stars this season, Eddie Lack went from an undrafted free agent to becoming a solid NHL goalie, and Jacob Markstrom went from going through waivers unclaimed (last year) to arguably becoming a starting goaltender.

Also, I don't see much upside in Thatcher returning to school for his senior year; so if he decides to play at BC again, I think he'll be traded at the draft & the Canucks move on/develop another goalie.
I get the appeal of choosing the team you want to play for, but the grass isn't always greener on the other side (eg. Justin Schultz would've been way better off w/ the Ducks than the Oilers; and I believe Jimmy Vesey made the wrong choice not to sign w/ the Predators as his rookie mistakes would've been insulated by one of the best defenses in the league).

College hockey players should consider that if a team's willing to invest in using a draft selection on you, then they must really believe in you as a future NHLer & have a vested interest in you making it that far; whereas other teams that could've drafted you/passed on you might just see you as a free asset that didn't cost them anything if you don't pan out.

One name.... Roland Joseph "Rollie the Goalie" Melanson

Gone after this season. Rollie Melanson has been largely responsible for the success we've had, and I'm pretty sure Demko and his agent know this, and also know he's gone at the end of the year.

gianni

Apr 8, 2014
One name.... Roland Joseph "Rollie the Goalie" Melanson

Gone after this season. Rollie Melanson has been largely responsible for the success we've had, and I'm pretty sure Demko and his agent know this, and also know he's gone at the end of the year.

Nope, he came here summer 2010. Cory Schneider was drafted 2004, and Roberto Luongo arrived in 2006. It's not just Rollie, it's the whole staff; and it's not set in stone that he's gone after this season. Get your facts straight.

Josepho

i want the bartkowski thread back
Jan 1, 2015
British Columbia
You guys are really underrating Dan Cloutier. He did a lot of great work with Markstrom in Utica. I'm disappointed in losing Melanson, but I still think we have a good system.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad