36th Overall - Thatcher Demko

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rocko604

Sports will break your heart.
Apr 29, 2009
Vancouver, BC
Sounds like Demko is done for the year.

If we don't sign him and he goes back for a Senior year, consider him gone.

Doesn't he remain Vancouver property for four years after being drafted, regardless if he goes back for his senior year? He was drafted after his freshman season. The players you see declaring themselves free agents were drafted out of Jr A.

Or does the clock to August 15th start as soon as he graduates, regardless of when he was drafted?

Last edited:

tantalum

Hope for the best. Expect the worst
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2002
Missouri
Sucks to have to say he did something well huh.

Yes that's it not that while showing promise they actually haven't proven anything yet. Don't crown things a success before they are. So the picks look good right now. It's Not much praise when they usually do at this point. But sure we'll done Jim one aspect of your job you might not have completely **** the bed on. Couple years from now may tell a different story if McCann continues to struggle. Virtanen continues to be behind his draft class etc.

gianni

Apr 8, 2014
Isn't his dad a big Canucks fan? I think Jeff Patterson mentioned it on this week's PatCast. Hopefully he will push his boy to sign with us.

I think Thatcher said in a past interview that his dad was a LA Kings fan, but as soon as he was drafted by Vancouver, he trashed all the LA Kings gear & restocked w/ Vancouver Canucks stuff.

And yes, hopefully Thatcher signs asap so that the Canucks could get him started on a development plan: this is a vital summer for him. I don't think the Canucks will fully invest into his development unless he fully invests in the organization & signs.

WetcoastOrca

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
Well at least someone is happy with this news.

I personally hope it's nothing.

Agree with you.
And not directed at anyone in particular, but it would also be nice if we could keep the Benning stuff out of some of the prospect threads. There's plenty of other places for people to vent and the Demko, Boeser picks are hardly the place for that. Both picks are looking very solid to date.

DL44

Status quo
Sep 26, 2006
He's had 3 years... Why is he needing more time if it's not a done deal?

Well... its a day after he just experienced a crushing defeat and probably hasn't had a chance to think a minute past it yet.

Also it was the first time all season he's talked to the Canucks... so assume they just discussed his options and or plan about this coming summer with him and his family for the first time. i.e. he would be training here, with this guy, under this schedule if he goes pro, this is the camp schedule, rookie camp... if you sign here's a typical AHL schedule, probably gave him a brochure from Tourism Utica, set him up to friend Bachman on facebook and gave him Cloutier email address.
Probably want to weigh it all vs returning to school...

So they're probably chewing on all the information...

Or they want to see where Matthews is going to go on the 30th and demand a trade if the Canucks don't win him.

rune74

Oct 10, 2008
So, theoretically if this is a problem...is there any chance of the college players rules being changed before he could become a UFA?

Who knows this could be as simple as Jim told him to think things over to as not pressure him.

Just A Bit Outside

Playoffs??!
Mar 6, 2010
I he returns for his Junior year I'd be of the mindset he's 100% gone.

Need to get the kid signed before his senior year.

DL44

Status quo
Sep 26, 2006
Dang i knew this would happen :(

You knew he would wait a few weeks to make a decision? :handclap:

foggy-crystal-ball-128x128.png

Tiranis

Jun 10, 2009
Toronto, ON
Well at least someone is happy with this news.

I personally hope it's nothing.

What else can one possibly say about it? It's standard procedure. How many college players signed a couple of days after being eliminated in Frozen Four? Can probably count them on one hand.

opendoor

Dec 12, 2006
So, theoretically if this is a problem...is there any chance of the college players rules being changed before he could become a UFA?

No, why would they change? This has been the rule for years and will be at least until the next CBA.

Jimson Hogarth*

Nov 21, 2013
Not about to panic yet even though as everyone else I was hoping Demko came to te room with his signing pen in hand.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad