GDT: #36 | Hurricanes at FLYERS | Tuesday, Jan. 11, 2022 | POSTPONED

Ghosts Beer

I saw Goody Fletcher with the Devil!
Feb 10, 2014
How long are Giroux, Provorov, and Konecny going to be forced to sit out with this asymptomatic madness?

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
Any player you get can suffer an injury at any time. Ellis's injury isn't related to anything he had before. His most recent LBI before this one was to his knee, and it happened in 2017.

I'm less worried about the history than I am with how lingering this one is. With history or without, it seems ominously persistent; whether it's the same issue or has created different ones. Shit luck.

Bruckuss

FML & FCF
Apr 1, 2012
Not Toronto
Sometimes it's just bad luck. Ellis has been injured, but they've been unrelated, an ACL five years ago, a severe concussion, a broke knuckle. Crap happens.
They got a 1st pair D-man signed to a below market contract, good luck finding these guys.
They needed a veteran D-man to anchor the group, I do that deal again in a heartbeat.

Doesn't he need to actually play in order to be considered a 1st pair guy? Seems he isn't playing up to below market value..

TCTC

Mar 25, 2013
Doesn't he need to actually play in order to be considered a 1st pair guy? Seems he isn't playing up to below market value..
He's played only 4 games, but he was our best defenseman in every one of those games. I can only imagine how much better our D would've looked with him this year.

Reactions: Surrounded By Ahos

Ironworker

Dec 2, 2021
Any player you get can suffer an injury at any time. Ellis's injury isn't related to anything he had before. His most recent LBI before this one was to his knee, and it happened in 2017.
I agree with you, they can. However, he was injured when they acquired him. He has played ALOT of hockey and in my unimportant opinion was the wrong defenseman to get.

Ironworker

Dec 2, 2021
Sometimes it's just bad luck. Ellis has been injured, but they've been unrelated, an ACL five years ago, a severe concussion, a broke knuckle. Crap happens.
They got a 1st pair D-man signed to a below market contract, good luck finding these guys.
They needed a veteran D-man to anchor the group, I do that deal again in a heartbeat.
Well I have to disagree. I think he is small, high milage and on the decline. I think it was a poor choice to acquire him. They absolutely needed help but there was other options, even if it had to wait a year. They put themselves in the position to have to make a move and it was the wrong one. They should try to expand from their 3 trading partners in my opinion. Just my 2 cents.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Ellis was top 5 in PP/60 at ES over an extended period. Guys like that rarely become available, and at $6M a year?
He's not a true #1, Josi was that guy for Nashville, but he belongs on a top pair, like Niskanen did.
Even if he declines the next few years he's still a top 4 D-man down the road, and a steadying influence on a young D-group.

Sometimes you're just the victim of bad luck.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
Ellis was top 5 in PP/60 at ES over an extended period. Guys like that rarely become available, and at $6M a year?
He's not a true #1, Josi was that guy for Nashville, but he belongs on a top pair, like Niskanen did.
Even if he declines the next few years he's still a top 4 D-man down the road, and a steadying influence on a young D-group.

Sometimes you're just the victim of bad luck.

Ellis is closer to a true #1 than Provorov is. Definitely way closer than Niskanen. I'd have him rated a bit higher than "top pair worthy" which honestly isn't that high a bar.

This should have been Fletcher's one clearly good move, especially since we had no reason to believe he'd miss more than 10-15 games. Which is still definitely not great, but for the price of a Patrick and Myers we had no prayer of making into anything anyway, easily a thing you do every time.

BiggE

SELL THE DAMN TEAM
Jan 4, 2019
Somewhere, FL
Your 2021-22 Philadelphia Flyers!
upload_2022-1-10_20-52-40.gif

upload_2022-1-10_20-54-19.gif

Attachments

• upload_2022-1-10_20-53-40.gif
    upload_2022-1-10_20-53-40.gif
    570.6 KB · Views: 2
Reactions: freakydallas13