Post-Game Talk: #36| FLYERS at Coyotes | Mon., Dec. 29, 2014

Embiid

On early summer vacay
May 27, 2010
Philadelphia
I know of a lot of fans who are tuning out the flyers right now and have been the last couple of years. Mediocrity is no better than tanking. At least with tanking you have excitement with a new stud player. More and more fans will be tuning out the Flyers without a big jump in performance or an exciting new player.
I know I have become massively apathetic with this lame mediocre team. Worst I have ever experienced and I endured 5 years straight of the Flyers missing the playoffs but I always remember those teams still being hard nosed and not always easy to play against...they just had no offense. It took going after Lindros to revive the franchise and fan base but then we had to deal with Clarke who refused to address the goalie situation properly then Holmgren came in and now we are dealing with his afterbirth...

Hextall has his work cut out for him...getting a top 3 pick would make it easier for him but looks like this team will continue to fight hard to be .500....lol

Psuhockey

Nov 17, 2010
Boston were a .451 team in 05-06 (the season they traded Thornton) and a .463 point team in 06-07. The Flyers are currently at .472, so we are bottoming out almost as much as they did.

Boston's Cup came from a free agent goalie, a free agent dman, and getting great players (Bergeron, Krecj, Marchand, Lucic) in the 2nd and 3rd round.

Ok so the Flyers just need to sign the next Chara level defenseman that hits unrestricted free agency and get a near hall of fame goaltender as a 30 year old free agent out of Europe. Does that model seem more reproducible compared to the model used by LA, Chicago, and Pittsburgh, the other 5 winners of the last 6 Stanley Cups?

To me its all about playing the odds. 3 out of the last 4 teams to win Stanley Cups all blew up their teams and built with top picks and just as important more picks in the top 3 rounds acquired by trading veterans. With free agency dying and the trade market all but dried up, I think that trend is only going to increase as the only place to get elite players will be the draft. And although it is possible to get great players later, the odds of getting an elite player are better at the top.

In the end we will get to see if you are right because I don't foresee the Flyers blowing it up. Hopefully you are and the Flyers are winning cups. But I see the flyers stuck just where they are while teams underneath them like Buffalo pass right by them like Tampa bay has done.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
The Flyers have already acquired two picks in the top 4 rounds thru trades, and they will probably add more at the deadline if they are out of playoff contention. Ideally a 1st for Coburn, a 2nd for Grossmann/LSchenn and a 3rd for Schultz. Maybe that's wishful thinking, but that's the return they should be aiming for.

And if they lose tonight they will be sitting at 6th in the draft. They don't need to blow it up (which can only mean trading Giroux/Voracek cause no one else on the team is that important) to get better thru the draft, they just need to make their picks count.

Psuhockey

Nov 17, 2010
The Flyers have already acquired two picks in the top 4 rounds thru trades, and they will probably add more at the deadline if they are out of playoff contention. Ideally a 1st for Coburn, a 2nd for Grossmann/LSchenn and a 3rd for Schultz. Maybe that's wishful thinking, but that's the return they should be aiming for.

And if they lose tonight they will be sitting at 6th in the draft. They don't need to blow it up (which can only mean trading Giroux/Voracek cause no one else on the team is that important) to get better thru the draft, they just need to make their picks count.
I don't think they should trade Giroux or Voracek. I wouldn't trade Couturier or Laughton either but anybody else from the current roster should be explored even guys like Simmonds and B. Schenn. Obviously the return would have to justify moving those two. As for the rest of the roster, I don't think you need to be blowed away with the return to justify moving them. Clearing salary, opening rosters spaces, and getting picks and or prospects should be the goal for the rest of the season. Doing those things would make this team a loser for the rest of the season which is what I mean by blowing it up.

BobbyClarkeFan16

Nov 29, 2005
Goderich, Ontario
I don't think they should trade Giroux or Voracek. I wouldn't trade Couturier or Laughton either but anybody else from the current roster should be explored even guys like Simmonds and B. Schenn. Obviously the return would have to justify moving those two. As for the rest of the roster, I don't think you need to be blowed away with the return to justify moving them. Clearing salary, opening rosters spaces, and getting picks and or prospects should be the goal for the rest of the season. Doing those things would make this team a loser for the rest of the season which is what I mean by blowing it up.

I get what you're saying. At the same time, the rest of the league knows that the Flyers are in a predicament with regards to contracts and any team that will deal with them will want a sweetener in order to take on the contracts of a Lecavalier or an Umberger or a MacDonald (and I'd hate the idea of adding an Alt or an Aube Kubel or Friedman just to make a deal).

In terms of moving Coburn, Grossmann and others, the Flyers are best served to wait until the deadline. By that time, there'll be a clear idea as to who will be in line to qualify for the playoffs and who are considered serious Stanley Cup contenders. The Flyers can hold an auction so to speak and get the absolute best deal they can. If they deal now, they're losing out on value.

I'm sure Grossmann might return a low second or a high 3rd round pick at the deadline. Coburn should be able to land a young roster player and a blue chip prospect or a first. Another guy they should shop is Streit. I hate the idea of moving him, at the same time, Streit's just turned 37 and nobody knows if he can keep producing at the rate he's at. Might as well sell high and see if he can help a contender. It'll probably mean having to take a bad contract back that will expire, but moving Streit could also mean multiple prospects and a first round pick (maybe not 2015, but 2016).

The biggest thing currently hindering this club though is an adequate coach and staff. I've harped on it a bit in other posts, but the loss of John Paddock really set this club back. I'm starting to believe that Hextall let him walk so that he can see if Berube is capable of the job without the benefit of having an experienced assistant to help out with line matchups, defensive pairings, defensive game plan and play, etc.....Clearly Berube is in over his head and Hextall will be serving the franchise best by firing him at the end of the year.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
I know I have become massively apathetic with this lame mediocre team. Worst I have ever experienced and I endured 5 years straight of the Flyers missing the playoffs but I always remember those teams still being hard nosed and not always easy to play against...they just had no offense. It took going after Lindros to revive the franchise and fan base but then we had to deal with Clarke who refused to address the goalie situation properly then Holmgren came in and now we are dealing with his afterbirth...

Hextall has his work cut out for him...getting a top 3 pick would make it easier for him but looks like this team will continue to fight hard to be .500....lol

Were you in a coma during the 2006-2007 season?

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
Ok so the Flyers just need to sign the next Chara level defenseman that hits unrestricted free agency and get a near hall of fame goaltender as a 30 year old free agent out of Europe. Does that model seem more reproducible compared to the model used by LA, Chicago, and Pittsburgh, the other 5 winners of the last 6 Stanley Cups?

To me its all about playing the odds. 3 out of the last 4 teams to win Stanley Cups all blew up their teams and built with top picks and just as important more picks in the top 3 rounds acquired by trading veterans. With free agency dying and the trade market all but dried up, I think that trend is only going to increase as the only place to get elite players will be the draft. And although it is possible to get great players later, the odds of getting an elite player are better at the top.

In the end we will get to see if you are right because I don't foresee the Flyers blowing it up. Hopefully you are and the Flyers are winning cups. But I see the flyers stuck just where they are while teams underneath them like Buffalo pass right by them like Tampa bay has done.

Two words: Rob Zepp :yo:

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014

I would only move Simmonds for a #1 defensemen under the age of 30.

I would move Schenn for A LOT of guys in this league.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad