Post-Game Talk: #36| FLYERS at Coyotes | Mon., Dec. 29, 2014

Psuhockey

Nov 17, 2010
Nothing in the Flyers history prior to Hextall matters anymore. Hextall learned how to build a champion in Los Angeles. Safe to say, it worked. He will build a champion here. It just won't be tomorrow like you hope.

If he learned anything from LA it is to blow it up and get more draft picks, which is how they built their cup teams and is what I am saying the Flyers should do. Getting the best defenseman in hockey at 2nd overall in the draft helps. Let's see if he can build one in Philadelphia while staying in the mediocre middle. I don't think it is possible but time will tell.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
We are currently slotted to get the 7th overall pick. No it's not McDavid/Eichel, but in this draft it should be enough to get a stud prospect.

Cootsfanclub

For Oskar!
Mar 29, 2013
If he learned anything from LA it is to blow it up and get more draft picks, which is how they built their cup teams and is what I am saying the Flyers should do. Getting the best defenseman in hockey at 2nd overall in the draft helps. Let's see if he can build one in Philadelphia while staying in the mediocre middle. I don't think it is possible but time will tell.

Why would a guy like Voracek resign in that environment? Flyers are just waiting for Vinny and Umberger to retire/get bought out and ELCs to come in.

Psuhockey

Nov 17, 2010
Why would a guy like Voracek resign in that environment? Flyers are just waiting for Vinny and Umberger to retire/get bought out and ELCs to come in.

Cause the Flyers are going to pay him a lot of money. Why would he sign in the current environment when they won't make the playoffs for the 2nd time in 3 years?

Sniped

Snowballs at Santa
Mar 13, 2013
Philly
I agree 100% with PSU, we are in purgatory right now, and also assuming at least 1 or 2 of our d-men reach their ceilings... which isn't even guaranteed for the future.

I'm concerned by the time our defense is actually good, Giroux will be on the decline and god knows how difficult it will be the replace him down the line. Just watching Giroux putting up the points he is and not making the playoffs or being one and done really frustrates me.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
These reactions makes me wonder how fans in Chicago and LA coped with missing the playoffs 9 out of 10 times and six straight seasons. It's not like they knew at the time they were going to get multiple cups a decade later.

Striiker

Former Flyers Fan
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
These reactions makes me wonder how fans in Chicago and LA coped with missing the playoffs 9 out of 10 times and six straight seasons. It's not like they knew at the time they were going to get multiple cups a decade later.

Easy, they ignored hockey and watched other sports. All these fans of those two teams didn't exist when they were losing.

Psuhockey

Nov 17, 2010

I know of a lot of fans who are tuning out the flyers right now and have been the last couple of years. Mediocrity is no better than tanking. At least with tanking you have excitement with a new stud player. More and more fans will be tuning out the Flyers without a big jump in performance or an exciting new player.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
Fewer fair-weather fans would be nice. Also, tanking doesn't guarantee getting a new stud player.

Easy, they ignored hockey and watched other sports. All these fans of those two teams didn't exist when they were losing.

I'm sure their boards on here weren't empty during those years.

BobbyClarkeFan16

Nov 29, 2005
Goderich, Ontario

The Flyers don't need a full on rebuild though, which is what Hextall and Lombardi did when they got to Los Angeles because the Kings were in bad shape. There are some very good pieces in Philadelphia right now when you look at the roster. Giroux, Voracek, Raffl, Simmonds, Laughton, B. Schenn, Couturier and Mason are solid building blocks to build around.

The problem in Philadelphia revolves around a mediocre defense and some incredibly bad contacts that are handcuffing Hextall's ability to do something. Fact is, guys like Coburn, Grossmann and Streit's value will be highest at the deadline so that's the better time to move them. As well, it's going to be next to impossible to get out from underneath the Umberger and Lecavalier contracts without giving up some sort of sweetener and it's probably better to wait until the off season to look at a buy out of some sort.

It sucks to say this, but the best thing the Flyers do is to continue to grin and bear it. Don't bother blowing things up when there's just over half a season. Wait until the deadline, move some defenders for some decent pieces and then at the end of the season, fire the coaching staff and replace them with competent personnel.

Striiker

Former Flyers Fan
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
I'm sure their boards on here weren't empty during those years.

I was exaggerating, but I wonder how many people were on here back then compared to now. My point is that neither of those places were hardcore hockey cities when they're teams weren't successful and although they have hardcore fans, a lot of them will just lose interest as soon as their teams aren't contenders anymore. Obviously there are fans in Philly who will do the same thing but this is definitely a bigger hockey town than either Chicago or LA.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
I agree, Philly is a much bigger hockey town. But I'm more concerned with the fans on this forum and how we would respond to a Chicago or Edmonton level of failure/tanking, i.e. not making the playoffs again until next decade.

It doesn't appeal to me unless you're guaranteed a Cup at the end of it. Which you aren't.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014

We don't need a full on rebuild though. We aren't New Jersey where we rely on 35-40 year old vets. Our core is young. It just takes patience. Which you don't have. So maybe you should spare all of us your suffering?

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
I agree, Philly is a much bigger hockey town. But I'm more concerned with the fans on this forum and how we would respond to a Chicago or Edmonton level of failure/tanking, i.e. not making the playoffs again until next decade.

It doesn't appeal to me unless you're guaranteed a Cup at the end of it. Which you aren't.

I think we know what will happen to psuhockey.

Psuhockey

Nov 17, 2010
We don't need a full on rebuild though. We aren't New Jersey where we rely on 35-40 year old vets. Our core is young. It just takes patience. Which you don't have. So maybe you should spare all of us your suffering?

Ok. Please tell me the last team from the mediocre middle to win the cup? On the other hand, just about every single cup winner since 1995 bottomed out except for Detroit in 2008 which was an elite team for over a decade. Boston did when they traded Thornton. Detroit started their dynasty taking Izerman and then trading 3rd overall pick Keith Primeau for Shanahan. Anaheim traded back to back top 10 pick prospects for Pronger. See a trend? Bad teams bouncing off the floor not rising from the middle.

But I guess the Flyers are going to do it a way no one has before?

Last edited:

daynus

Nov 25, 2002
Good Ole Saskatchewan
Visit site
I agree with these posts.

The way the club is set up, this teams performance on ice. And the solutions should be attainable.
UOTE=BobbyClarkeFan16;94804839]The Flyers don't need a full on rebuild though, which is what Hextall and Lombardi did when they got to Los Angeles because the Kings were in bad shape. There are some very good pieces in Philadelphia right now when you look at the roster. Giroux, Voracek, Raffl, Simmonds, Laughton, B. Schenn, Couturier and Mason are solid building blocks to build around.

The problem in Philadelphia revolves around a mediocre defense and some incredibly bad contacts that are handcuffing Hextall's ability to do something. Fact is, guys like Coburn, Grossmann and Streit's value will be highest at the deadline so that's the better time to move them. As well, it's going to be next to impossible to get out from underneath the Umberger and Lecavalier contracts without giving up some sort of sweetener and it's probably better to wait until the off season to look at a buy out of some sort.

It sucks to say this, but the best thing the Flyers do is to continue to grin and bear it. Don't bother blowing things up when there's just over half a season. Wait until the deadline, move some defenders for some decent pieces and then at the end of the season, fire the coaching staff and replace them with competent personnel.[/QUOTE]

Striiker

Former Flyers Fan
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania

But I can't imagine that actually happening. I'd be pretty shocked if we went a long time without making the playoffs. I don't think a team that is willing to spend to the cap, is able to attract FA's, and isn't a disaster at drafting can replicate the failure of a team like Edmonton.

About the people on this forum, I definitely think it'll start thinning out by the end of this season. People are already getting super impatient and we're not even close to the end of the year or the end of this current period of rebuilding. Especially during GDTs, people are losing their minds and losing sight of what needs to happen. We can't just trade everyone away and fire the coach after a bad game, there's a smart time to do everything that needs to be done... while angry after a loss is not that time.

Dumpster Flyers

Jun 21, 2006
Other than the last ten minutes (Umberger lol), that was miserable to watch.

What was Coburn doing on that third goal? :help:
Looks like they're being instructed to press the neutral zone on the PK for some odd reason. Read's useless forecheck also prevented him from picking up the late man.

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA

The Flyers would end up just like the Phillies & Sixers if they went through a terrible stretch of years.

The Eagles are the only team in this city that could withstand multiple years of being terrible. Football is king here plus there's less commitment with 8 home games a year & the tailgating scene in football is almost bigger than the game itself.

The Flyers have never reached that point in their history where they went through a brutal stretch. The closest was in the late 80's early 90's but they got Lindros about half way so he was a big shot in the arm in regards to excitement around the team even though they weren't very good.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
Ok. Please tell me the last team from the mediocre middle to win the cup? On the other hand, just about every single cup winner since 1995 bottomed out except for Detroit in 2008 which was an elite team for over a decade. Boston did when they traded Thornton.

Boston were a .451 team in 05-06 (the season they traded Thornton) and a .463 point team in 06-07. The Flyers are currently at .472, so we are bottoming out almost as much as they did.

Boston's Cup came from a free agent goalie, a free agent dman, and getting great players (Bergeron, Krecj, Marchand, Lucic) in the 2nd and 3rd round.

Cootsfanclub

For Oskar!
Mar 29, 2013
Ok. Please tell me the last team from the mediocre middle to win the cup? On the other hand, just about every single cup winner since 1995 bottomed out except for Detroit in 2008 which was an elite team for over a decade. Boston did when they traded Thornton. Detroit started their dynasty taking Izerman and then trading 3rd overall pick Keith Primeau for Shanahan. Anaheim traded back to back top 10 pick prospects for Pronger. See a trend? Bad teams bouncing off the floor not rising from the middle.

But I guess the Flyers are going to do it a way no one has before?

Thronton had been gone for half a decade before they won the cup. They lost in 2 semi finals and a quarter finals the years before they won. They didn't bounce from the bottom. You don't need to bounce from the bottom.

You only really need two things to win a cup:
1. #1 center (we have one and will have one capable of winning a cup for another 5-6 years)
2. #1 Defenseman (hopefully Sanheim or Morin)

Those two can take over a series, an elite goalie will have the ability to cover a few problems involving the next most important thing, depth scoring. Flyers will have Simmonds, Schenn, Couturier, Laughton and Read in their middle six. They should be fine.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
The Kings were in far worse shape than the Flyers were when Lombardi and Hextall showed up. They had nothing to build with and a mediocre system. Quick wasn't even supposed to be the guy to emerge as the franchise goaltender.

Striiker

Former Flyers Fan
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
Obviously it'd be incredible for one of our D prospects to turn into a legitimate #1, but I think sometimes you guys get a bit too hung up on that.

I don't think we 100% need a #1D to win a cup, obviously it helps but if we can just get a D core that's balanced, solid defensively, and mobile it would probably be enough.

It'd be great if Morin's offense could develop to the point where he's a threat, but if he just ends up being a reliable shutdown defender who can skate and move the puck that would be incredible.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad