GDT: #36 – Sabres at Bruins – Sat Dec 31, 1:00PM ET – MSG-B

jBuds

pretty damn valuable
Sponsor
Apr 9, 2005
Richmond, VA
You've been tanking long enough, it becomes normal. So who knows.

I know what you are trying to say, but I don't think it's a real thing.

That they may not know how to break out of it, or don't have the rightness pieces to (on the ice or behind the bench) is an entirely different, valid argument, though.

BowieSabresFan

Nov 18, 2010
It is what it is. It shouldn't be something to which we say "oh awesome, at least Jack threw his gear around this game after three failed sick breaks last time around"

Leave it alone.

Not disagreeing with you, but that was hardly my point anyway.

Sabretip

Jan 13, 2010
Phoenix, AZ

He can vent and show whatever emotions he wants but his play is just as much to blame as that of others whenever the team faces adversity. Eichel is often guilty of casual passes and poor judgment on the PP (dangling the puck at the blueline, tossing rink-wide passes that get easily blocked or picked off because there is no seam or just trying to one-time shots through 4-5 bodies). When things aren't going well, he tries to go solo against 2-3 defenders lined up against his rush. Sometimes he'll try to chase down the puck but whenever he can't outmaneuver through defenses or his passes got intercepted, it seems Eichel lets up and heads to the bench as the opponent rushes up ice. In that regard, I see more effort out of Okposo and ROR in fighting through the adversity - and those two are not as talented as Eichel.

I chalk up a lot of this, and his emotions, to immaturity and growing pains. I hope he finds ways to channel his frustration into energy that leads by example: more hustle at both ends and using his strength and skating more effectively.

Aladyyn

they praying for the death of a rockstar
Apr 6, 2015
Czech Republic
He can vent and show whatever emotions he wants but his play is just as much to blame as that of others whenever the team faces adversity. Eichel is often guilty of casual passes and poor judgment on the PP (dangling the puck at the blueline, tossing rink-wide passes that get easily blocked or picked off because there is no seam or just trying to one-time shots through 4-5 bodies). When things aren't going well, he tries to go solo against 2-3 defenders lined up against his rush. Sometimes he'll try to chase down the puck but whenever he can't outmaneuver through defenses or his passes got intercepted, it seems Eichel lets up and heads to the bench as the opponent rushes up ice. In that regard, I see more effort out of Okposo and ROR in fighting through the adversity - and those two are not as talented as Eichel.

I chalk up a lot of this, and his emotions, to immaturity and growing pains. I hope he finds ways to channel his frustration into energy that leads by example: more hustle at both ends and using his strength and skating more effectively.

Maybe he's pissed because of his own play?

Icicle

Think big
Oct 16, 2005
2 games against Boston with 2 players injured on BS plays, team completely collapses, refs can't call a single thing straight

yup

not watching the sabres again until Bylsma is gone. Boston can outright go **** itself

Last edited by a moderator:

OkimLom

May 3, 2010
WHO IN THE ROOM IS OKAY WITH THIS?

Come on.

We don't know if anybody is okay with it. I would like someone to ask around how they feel about it.

IMO, I'm glad someone has a breaking point for losing and playing poorly. Whether, it's because of him looking at his poor play or just sick of losing, it remains to be seen. A short tweet doesn't help in this matter. To me, it shows some life, which is what I want from a guy who is looked at to help carry the team.

Jame

Sep 4, 2002
Florida
When he didn't show enough passion after scoring a goal, he was criticized for not showing leadership skills and motivating his teammates.

When he gets angry after a poor team performance, he is accused of having a temper tantrum.

Not the same posters obviously, but it's equally obvious he can't win on this one.

Uh, there's a big difference between the two

jBuds

pretty damn valuable
Sponsor
Apr 9, 2005
Richmond, VA
Not disagreeing with you, but that was hardly my point anyway.
yeah I'm sure it wasn't. I'm really ****ing cranky. I apologize

We don't know if anybody is okay with it. I would like someone to ask around how they feel about it.

IMO, I'm glad someone has a breaking point for losing and playing poorly. Whether, it's because of him looking at his poor play or just sick of losing, it remains to be seen. A short tweet doesn't help in this matter. To me, it shows some life, which is what I want from a guy who is looked at to help carry the team.

Fair. I thought he showed that last game at the end. But I understand your point.

slip

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 19, 2005
If Eichel is pissed, he needs to do something about it. As things stand, he's part of the problem (being non-existent for long stretches each game, especially on the defensive end).

We can ***** and moan about the coach all we want -- and we should-- but where is the accountability on the ice, and in the management ranks? This turd of a team has everyone's fingerprints all over it.

slip

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 19, 2005
As has been pointed out. It's a false narrative. Schaller wasn't "allowed to leave" to keep Des. Plus schaller wanted to play for Boston. Called it a childhood dream.

Murray should be criticized for not getting a better option than Grant for a 4th line center. Creating a fairytale about Des and Schaller isn't needed to do so.

The better option for a 4th line center was Schaller. Giving him a one-way (which I think he earned) would have sealed the deal, regardless of his dreams and aspirations to play in Boston. Walking away from Des would have created the cap and roster space to make such a deal more viable. Not sure how that is a false narrative, as opposed to simply offering a variant view regarding Murray's marginal personnel choices.

slip

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 19, 2005
It's certainly a loss but no it's not as big of a loss as ROR.

Larsson has been a non factor for weeks. His edge disappeared sometime in early December. Hopefully this injury won't hurt his trade value as the deadline approaches.

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY
The better option for a 4th line center was Schaller. Giving him a one-way (which I think he earned) would have sealed the deal, regardless of his dreams and aspirations to play in Boston. Walking away from Des would have created the cap and roster space to make such a deal more viable. Not sure how that is a false narrative, as opposed to simply offering a variant view regarding Murray's marginal personnel choices.

Grant makes 50K more than Schaller. So again its a fairytale to suggest Des' deal had anything to do with Schaller not being here.

There are things to get on Murray for (Grant and Des are two of them). But creating a fairytale about Des's signing being why Schaller isn't here is not required to do so.

Moskau

Jun 30, 2004
WNY
Byron was on waivers last season.
I'm well aware. Byron is one of the best bottom forwards in the league and probably the best PKer in the league. He would be great on this team. I just couldn't remember if Montreal had dibs before us.

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY
@ Slip

Worry about Gorges and Moulson if you want to be frustrated by contracts that Murray is responsible for that hurt the team. They can't simply be waived to the minors to get rid of their cap hit like Des can.

slip

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 19, 2005
Grant makes 50K more than Schaller. So again its a fairytale to suggest Des' deal had anything to do with Schaller not being here.

There are things to get on Murray for (Grant and Des are two of them). But creating a fairytale about Des's signing being why Schaller isn't here is not required to do so.

It's silly to think Schaller is not here because Des was signed; what's not silly is to question Murray's move to let Schaller walk while resigning Des. How does that critique of Murray's tinkering at the margins of the roster amount to a fairy tale?

dotcommunism

Aug 16, 2007
I'm well aware. Byron is one of the best bottom forwards in the league and probably the best PKer in the league. He would be great on this team. I just couldn't remember if Montreal had dibs before us.

It was at the beginning of the season and waiver priority at that point is based on the previous year's standings, so Buffalo had waiver priority on everyone. Also, everyone except the Rangers had waiver priority over Montreal.

slip

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 19, 2005
@ Slip

Worry about Gorges and Moulson if you want to be frustrated by contracts that Murray is responsible for that hurt the team. They can't simply be waived to the minors to get rid of their cap hit like Des can.

Truth is I liked what Schaller brought to the table in his limited time last year, and was quite disappointed when he bolted for Boston given that we had zero 4th line center options with Legwand not being resigned. Murray turning around and signing Des to two years of guaranteed money left me with even more questions regarding his decision making process (again, moves at the margins of the roster). Yes, it was never an either/or scenario, just two distinct GM moves that left much to be desired.

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY
It's silly to think Schaller is not here because Des was signed; what's not silly is to question Murray's move to let Schaller walk while resigning Des. How does that critique of Murray's tinkering at the margins of the roster amount to a fairy tale?

Did you read all of Zip's posts? Because what you just posted is hardly what he said. He went off on a few ridiculous riffs. The best was him asking why Murray didn't sign Schaller to a 1 way deal last December. Something that never happens with players like Schaller. He went off on other tangents to move the conversation away from Disco criticisms on onto Murray bashing. Keep in mind Zip is the same guy who repeatedly defends Grant's play when Disco gets ripped for playing him in certain situations. But now he is suddenly lamenting the loss of Schaller. With his defenses of Grant, one wouldn't think there was an issue.

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY
Truth is I liked what Schaller brought to the table in his limited time last year, and was quite disappointed when he bolted for Boston given that we had zero 4th line center options with Legwand not being resigned. Murray turning around and signing Des to two years of guaranteed money left me with even more questions regarding his decision making process (again, moves at the margins of the roster). Yes, it was never an either/or scenario, just two distinct GM moves that left much to be desired.

I agree with you description of events. But as I said in my previous post, thats not really what Zip was saying, at least not initially.

Yatzhee

Aug 5, 2010
So, I'm hearing Jack is beyond mad. I'm hearing unless TOM does something, Jack will not be happy.

Can't blame the kid, he is used to winning.

And before you ask, hearing it from multiple reporters, so it is all public knowledge.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad