Post-Game Talk: #35| FLYERS at Predators | Sat., Dec. 27, 2014

BernieParent

In misery of redwings of suckage for a long time
Mar 13, 2009
Chasm of Sar (north of Montreal, Qc)
It's the "we need to be aggressive on the PK" line that makes me zero in on Berube. Being aggressive on the PK in the NHL means you're gifting top line players free passing and shooting lanes.

I must confess that I was hoping, before this season, that the PK increase their aggressiveness in puck pressure. Other teams seemed to be able to rush passes and close lanes. Be careful what you wish for!

bb12

Aug 21, 2014
USA
Just fire Berube; and Lappy for the abysmal PK... new coach impetus may do something and propel them into the playoffs.

How long does hexy really wait? Torts, dan dylsma, now deboer all on the market, with at least 2 teams looking for coaches. We need to jump on someone seekng as Berube is a joke, this team is weak, can't pk and can't break out. Oh and he sits mdz every game

KrazyKat

May 27, 2013
Vancouver
I completely agree. MDZ should be playing! A new coach should be hired. I like Marc Crawford personally.
But he's probably too old now haha. But anyone other than Berube would be better. No to torts though cuz he would play Grossmann and scratch Del Zotto. White interests me I would like to try this line up.

Raffl-Giroux-Voracek
Simmonds-Couturier-Read
Schenn-Laughton-Lecavalier
Bellemare-White-Umberger

Macdonald-Streit
Schenn-Coburn
Del Zotto-Schultz

Mason
Emery

That looks like a good team!

Then next year:

Raffl-Giroux-Voracek
Simmonds-Couturier-Read
Schenn-Laughton-Leier
Rinaldo-Lecavalier-Umberger

Macdonald-Streit
Del Zotto - Coburn
Morin - Schenn

Mason
Zepp (Haha)

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
How long does hexy really wait? Torts, dan dylsma, now deboer all on the market, with at least 2 teams looking for coaches. We need to jump on someone seekng as Berube is a joke, this team is weak, can't pk and can't break out. Oh and he sits mdz every game

Torts, Byslma, and DeBoer are not people we want.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
The team's record being heavily related to the PK being so awful makes me think we can bounce back to being a playoff team just as soon as we get a coaching cleanout.

Striiker

Former Flyers Fan
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
This is not a tricky concept.

The whole reason to get rid of Berube is to get a good coach, not hire other bad coaches.

We don't want those coaches because they're also terrible, that's why they got dumped and haven't been re-hired by other teams. Edmonton and NJ even decided to go with insane coaching situations instead of hiring one of those available options. A smart team is going to wait until the offseason and then take their time finding the best possible coach, not make impatient and poorly thought out decisions.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
I'm not very worried about competing with NJ and Edmonton for coaching candidates. If Babcock goes, competing with Detroit will be the main issue I think.

I'm most concerned with getting solid candidates to begin with.

Striiker

Former Flyers Fan
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
I'm not very worried about competing with NJ and Edmonton for coaching candidates. If Babcock goes, competing with Detroit will be the main issue I think.

I'm most concerned with getting solid candidates to begin with.

You mean Toronto?

People on TSN Edmonton who call in after the games keep bringing him up and the host of the show keeps asking them why in the world they think he'd even consider Edmonton. They keep saying how they can throw a ton of money at Babcock but the host basically says no ****, so will Toronto. I assume if he leaves Detroit he'll end up there.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
You mean Toronto?

People on TSN Edmonton who call in after the games keep bringing him up and the host of the show keeps asking them why in the world they think he'd even consider Edmonton. They keep saying how they can throw a ton of money at Babcock but the host basically says no ****, so will Toronto. I assume if he leaves Detroit he'll end up there.

Toronto is a bit of a gongshow though.

Striiker

Former Flyers Fan
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
Toronto is a bit of a gongshow though.

But compared to Edmonton it's an oasis. :laugh:

I wonder if the rumors that he wants to be very involved in player personnel could complicate things, basically being coach and GM. Another thing from that TSN EDM show that made me laugh was when one caller suggested that Edmonton try to get Babcock by telling him he can pick who he wants to be GM... basically hire his own boss... he got laughed at.

MiamiScreamingEagles

Global Moderator
Jan 17, 2004
The devil is in the detail. As we stated at the time, the lack of production during the 5-on-3 was a telltale sign for the rest of the game.

Which may explain why coach Craig Berube was particularly frosty with his players, yelling at them in louder tones during Sunday’s 5-on-3 power-play drill.

“I’m always like that, but you guys don’t hear up there in Skate Zone,†Berube said. “I bark a lot in practice.â€

You were barking extra loud at the 5-on-3, he was told.

“One play I didn’t like,†Berube said. “So I was asking what the deal was, that’s all.â€

Specifically, Berube was annoyed that Claude Giroux wanted to be set up for a one-timer in the lower-left slot. Berube wanted the shot up higher outside the box.

Coming off Saturday’s loss in which the Flyers' special teams were atrocious, you could understand his frayed nerves.

“Last night, the 5-on-3 wasn’t good enough, and we were practicing it today and made a couple little switches,†Berube said. “That’s all.â€

Giroux said it was “just hockey†and nothing more.

http://www.csnphilly.com/hockey-phi...ube-gets-testy-during-flyers-power-play-drill

ybnvs

Mar 20, 2014
Timonen just really needs to be available soon.

He's old, out of shape, and hasn't been practicing or traveling with the team since the initial report of him going to the hospital to be treated.

I fail to see how adding him to the lineup would be beneficial to us in any way, shape, or form.

FlyersFan61290

Jul 13, 2010
Philadelphia
He's old, out of shape, and hasn't been practicing or traveling with the team since the initial report of him going to the hospital to be treated.

I fail to see how adding him to the lineup would be beneficial to us in any way, shape, or form.

Except most of that is not true. He's been keeping in shape with his normal post season routine and has been with the team just not in the normal capacity. He even went on the team bonding trip. He'll be evalauated in January and if, and it's a big if, he can resume hockey activities he'd be better then half the current d-core even if he's a shell of his former self.

ybnvs

Mar 20, 2014
Except most of that is not true. He's been keeping in shape with his normal post season routine and has been with the team just not in the normal capacity. He even went on the team bonding trip. He'll be evalauated in January and if, and it's a big if, he can resume hockey activities he'd be better then half the current d-core even if he's a shell of his former self.

Bold: Forgive me for being misinformed.
Underlined: Mere speculation and you living in memory of his past stint with the organization. "A shall of his former self" is not very good, and, in my opinion, right on par or slightly below what the rest of our defense currently offers.

Feb 19, 2003
Concord, New Hampshire

out of hockey shape? sure but I would bet he is in better shape than most of us who post on this board. I think the chances of him playing again are probably pretty slim but if he was ever cleared to play and got himself in hockey shape he would instantly become the teams best defenseman.

Underlined: Mere speculation and you living in memory of his past stint with the organization. "A shall of his former self" is not very good, and, in my opinion, right on par or slightly below what the rest of our defense currently offers.

yeah that would be a NO

Cootsfanclub

For Oskar!
Mar 29, 2013

He was the best defenseman on the team (by far) just last season. His shell, if you can call it that, is still better than Amac/Grossmann/Schultz.

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
I don't really know if you can say for sure if he would be better than the current group since he is coming off a serious injury & hasn't played likely going on a half of year when he returns at his current age.

The Flyers really have nothing to lose at this point though so it's certainly worth a shot if everything checks out health wise.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad