Post-Game Talk: #35| FLYERS at Predators | Sat., Dec. 27, 2014

Funf

Sep 17, 2013
Philadelphia
Passing was sloppy as hell tonight, got killed on special teams, and Rinne was Rinne.

And I'd really like it if Laughton could replace Lecavalier on that 2nd unit. It's as clear as day that they were much better without Vinny...

DirkStarlight

Jan 22, 2011
Garbage Goal hit the nail on the head. I didn't watch this game, was playing Cards Against Humanity with family (Which is hilarious cause certain family members don't want to say some cards), but looking at the highlights, and the whole season, special teams kills us.

For a comparison, the Eagles special teams won them games. Had it not been for their epic performance over the first half of the season, they wouldn't have stayed in the playoff chase for as long as they had.

The Flyers special teams is losing them games.

The PK not being good isn't characteristic of this team. I don't think its Laperriere's fault. He started running it last year right? Last year they were good, this year, you should expect a goal to happen.

I can't tell you how much Giroux misses Hartnell in the box btw. Schenn doesn't cut it, no matter how well he's improved this year. If we had Hartnell on the PP unit, I bet you we would be in the top 3 this year in PP%.

My point is, this coaching staff isn't working. I'm sure Hexy sees it. Hell, we can all see it. We can only expect goals from the 1st PP unit.

Our strengths were special teams in years past, while being average at 5v5. This year, and dating back to last year towards the end, took a nosedive. Bring in someone to fix the PK that is horrendous, and the 2nd PP unit.

Jun 13, 2010
New Jersey
Well the game was crappy, but that goal by Giroux was a beauty.

Special teams were especially bad tonight. That 5 on 3 PP the Flyers had was dreadful.

dats81

Jan 22, 2011
Carinthia, AUT
Who is responsible for the PK? Lappy, Murphy or someone else.. he needs to go and take Berube with him in the off-season.

Hextall needs to start making some trades soon to get rid of some of the dead weight. Defensemen who are equally bad at making plays and defending the zone have no business playing in the NHL let alone getting paid north of 3M a year.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
It's the "we need to be aggressive on the PK" line that makes me zero in on Berube. Being aggressive on the PK in the NHL means you're gifting top line players free passing and shooting lanes.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
after they beat the powerhouse Arizona Coyotes the playoff talk will be back on.

Probably. The Flyers are definitely running the gambit of beating all the teams they probably should, and losing to all the teams they should, with a few exceptions.

Rinaldo will be back tomorrow, and he can get all the credit.

Domino666

“20 years away”
Aug 18, 2011
I missed Roo's goal, I've been sick for the las 2 days, kind of watched the game uninterested, Berube's coaching is about as bad as Lavi's hair, but I ask the question does Hexy see how ****** of a coach Berube is?
Does he see that the PK is a joke now? And the PP is decent until the 2nd unit gets on the ice? Why does he let Berube keep sitting MDZ over slow bigger Dmen?
Does he see how the team gets pushed around and other teams keep taking runs at G?

JustJim

Feb 20, 2012
Paignton,UK
I turned the game of the telly....

It was still on my computer, but I watched one of my Christmas gifts instead, (The Three Stooges Collection Volume 2....very funny stuff w/Curly).
It doesn't look like I missed much. I watched the first period, and was fed up at their lack of decision when controlling the puck.
Berube does seem clueless. Tell me this, why is he their head coach? I never understood their decision for hiring him after firing a former Stanley Cup winning coach. How long had Berube been a head coach in the AHL? And what was his stellar record for causing his promotion?

CSKA1974

Feb 10, 2010
Flyerville
It was still on my computer, but I watched one of my Christmas gifts instead, (The Three Stooges Collection Volume 2....very funny stuff w/Curly).
It doesn't look like I missed much. I watched the first period, and was fed up at their lack of decision when controlling the puck.
Berube does seem clueless. Tell me this, why is he their head coach? I never understood their decision for hiring him after firing a former Stanley Cup winning coach. How long had Berube been a head coach in the AHL? And what was his stellar record for causing his promotion?

To add- I loved Lappy as a player, but have never understood his promotion to the coaching staff on the NHL level.

4thline4life

Jul 12, 2010
He's part of the old boys club of the Flyers. That means more than things like "stellar records" and "experience". Berube would never of been a head coach in the league if it wasn't on the flyers. He was gifted the position because he was a 4th line locker room guy and the organization is infatuated with keeping guys that had no skill whatsoever in the nhl in coaching roles. If berube is fired, expect Riley Cote to be next in line.

JustJim

Feb 20, 2012
Paignton,UK
He's part of the old boys club of the Flyers. That means more than things like "stellar records" and "experience". Berube would never of been a head coach in the league if it wasn't on the flyers. He was gifted the position because he was a 4th line locker room guy and the organization is infatuated with keeping guys that had no skill whatsoever in the nhl in coaching roles. If berube is fired, expect Riley Cote to be next in line.

Thank you so much for clearing that up! God, I hope Cote isn't their next coach.....I can't imagine Hextall being stupid enough to do that.
I know Bylsma is not everyone's favourite coach, but I think I'd give him a call before hiring from within again.
The "muckers & grinders" may be fine "in the room", but behind the bench they are a f**king disaster!

JustJim

Feb 20, 2012
Paignton,UK
To add- I loved Lappy as a player, but have never understood his promotion to the coaching staff on the NHL level.

Yeah! I mean, every player on each team he ever played with, loves Lappy......but does that make him coach-worthy?
He went from being their shot blocking winger, to their player personel associate, and now their assistant coach in charge of special team situations? Am I missing something here?
Shouldn't you have to coach in the minors for a few years before making it to the NHL?
The Flyers organisational decisions seem to be suffering from Alzheimer's disease!

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Coaching in the minors is only one road to making it up through the ranks. To have not coached in the minors is not unheard of

Garbage Goal

Apr 1, 2009
I'm not sure how much I should be blaming Lappy. Like Beef said, that line of "the PK needs to be more aggressive" alongside how stupid we know Berube already is makes me wonder if it's not just mostly Berube's fault at this point.

Funf

Sep 17, 2013
Philadelphia
I'm not sure how much I should be blaming Lappy. Like Beef said, that line of "the PK needs to be more aggressive" alongside how stupid we know Berube already is makes me wonder if it's not just mostly Berube's fault at this point.

PK is Lappy's responsibility though, isn't it?

Either way, it's the sloppiest looking PK we've had since I started watching hockey. I think even during the season from hell it was better. And that should be very telling, considering it was a strong point last year.

Also, can Matt Read start playing like Matt Read again? Every time that line started generating pressure last night, Read would promptly lose the puck and play would head the other way.

mantis toboggan

Aug 2, 2009
South Jersey
I love how the 4th line got only 5 minutes less than the 1st. Dont you think with g and jake out there 4-5 minutes longer we could've scored at least 1 more goal?

Danko

You have no marbles
Jul 28, 2004
I love how the 4th line got only 5 minutes less than the 1st. Dont you think with g and jake out there 4-5 minutes longer we could've scored at least 1 more goal?

I didnt see much of the game last night as i was out at various bars. However, that fourth line has been pretty good lately so i can see them getting a bit more ice time then usual.

Garbage Goal

Apr 1, 2009
PK is Lappy's responsibility though, isn't it?

Either way, it's the sloppiest looking PK we've had since I started watching hockey. I think even during the season from hell it was better. And that should be very telling, considering it was a strong point last year.

Also, can Matt Read start playing like Matt Read again? Every time that line started generating pressure last night, Read would promptly lose the puck and play would head the other way.

Wasn't Lappy the head of it last season as well? Either way Berube is still the head coach, if he wanted to tell Lappy what to do or suggest something or make his own changes I'm sure he could and it wouldn't surprise me. It was also Berube's quote that said they should be more aggressive.

I don't know how the inner dynamics are between the players and coaches, none of us do, but I'm just saying I'm not sure how much blame goes where in this case. Also saying it wouldn't surprise me if it was more Berube then anything.

bungle

Casual Observer
Jan 20, 2006
LA
Last nights game was the cherry on the soft, flavorless cake that this season has been so far.

Psuhockey

Nov 17, 2010
after they beat the powerhouse Arizona Coyotes the playoff talk will be back on.

And how it is more important to build a winning culture than it is to get a high draft pick. And since edmonton sucks getting top picks mean nothing. And since Boston won the cup once you don't have to tank like chicago, la, and pittsburgh.... Did I miss anything?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad