Post-Game Talk: #35 | FLYERS (A) vs. Sabres (H) | Wednesday, Mar. 31, 2021 | Loss 6-1

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
Grant and Thompson trades negatively impacted team chemistry.

So did that Hanzal trade.
This doesn't help either. An elimination game in the playoffs.

6323b55f4b36f3075d8e2d23fbcb468f.png

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
He's already made bad trades here. Grant and Thompson were two extremely recent and obvious examples.

Giving up draft picks to make the team worse is a pretty significant mistake.

trading a 4th and a 5th the next season isn't significant.
Grant and Thompson not working out, crap happens.

A lot of players came up short in the playoffs, Pitlick, Farabee, JVR, Myers, Hagg, TK, Sanheim.

The bubble was a mess for this team, so was the start of this season.
Then as they turn the ship around, the rudder (goalies) falls off.

Fletcher stopped trading young players after the Leddy and Burns trades.
My suspicion is the Hanzal trade was pretty much due to an ultimatum from the owner, go deep into the playoffs or you're gone. In that case we'd all take that chance.

The fact that despite pressure to win now, Fletcher has yet to trade a prospect or a 1st rd pick, tells me he's learned. Now this summer may be different, this team has enough talent with the right moves to go deep into the playoffs next year - at some point you have to tap into the bank account.

BigBear

Mar 28, 2021
I thank the Sisters of St. Joseph. Good Roman Catholic boy from Franklin whose father was a carpenter and he did his share of helping. I think he got his players attention? Boy do I miss Pete.

BigBear

Mar 28, 2021
Patrick was a better player at 17 than Frost at 18, then he had the groin injuries, surgeries the summer before the draft, surgery the summer of the draft - these were core injuries that take longer to rehab. So at 21, when he's physically mature and has 2 seasons under his belt, basically his brain went tilt.

I'd say it's a tad bit premature to write him off. He's cheap as pointed out above, can play center and RW, PK and PP. He's had some bad puck luck this year and his timing and stick work is off.

Jesus, just let this Patrick kid play and give them a chance however long it takes to show what he can do.

growing up in Massachusetts as a kid and being a Bruins fan in the era of Esposito, Orr, Cashman, and others, and even at 12 years old hating the Montréal Canadiens, reminds me why AV turns my stomach.

Ironmanrulez

#nEvErrEbUiLd #nEvErpLaYyOuTh #nEverpLaYsKiLL
Jul 1, 2010
Cologne, Germany
Fletcher stopped trading young players after the Leddy and Burns trades.
My suspicion is the Hanzal trade was pretty much due to an ultimatum from the owner, go deep into the playoffs or you're gone. In that case we'd all take that chance.

Making your own reality isnt reality.

I dont care why you do anything. Youve done it, you are to blame. If one owner pressed him in this trade is pure speculation. But it make your picture of Fletcher better so you want to believe in it.

But: Making your own reality isnt reality.

Reactions: Captain Dave Poulin

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
If you look at Fletcher in Minnesota, he became very conservative after the Leddy and Burns, trades, holding on to his young players.
The only times he didn' was at the end of his tenure, first with Hanzal, then the ED, and Minnesota has a very active owner who was frustrated with early playoff exits.
So put two and two together, why would he suddenly change his MO if it wasn't pressure from the owner?

Even here, with Scott making it clear he wanted moves to make the playoffs, Fletcher remained conservative and didn't trade a prospect or 1st rd pick.
Now this summer might be different if a young RHD is available, he should pay the price, but not for someone on the wrong side of 30.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad