Prospect Info: 33rd overall Roby Jarventie LW FIN

Dan Patrick

Mar 11, 2020
Well let's hope if nothing else Jarventie gets some playing time today. His butt has been making love to the bench last 2 games.

I was looking and he actually played some minutes against Canada but the entire Finish team was getting caved in so it was probably more to give their top guys a break lol.

Completely agree with the rest of your comment though. He was captain bench warmer in both games against the Swedes.

Reactions: SensFactor

armani

High Jacques
Apr 8, 2005
Uranus
The Sens preferred to pick a natural goal scorer with a track record in men's league as a 17 year old. They probably saw what's apparent - a still growing kid with good size, skating, and shooting abilities. The latter is supposed to be high-end, but he is missing in action in this tournament.

Wrt to JJP, it's possible they found him to be redundant in terms of young playmaking wingers already in the system, and went to draft a potential goal scorer who needs a lot of development time to get there physically and mentally. The latter specially apparent in this tournament.

The Finnish coaching staff put him on the first line to start the tournament based on his performance in Liiga. Jarventie was held pointless in Liiga in his last 3 games played IIRC and came in cold to start the tournament. The only thing he is warming nowadays is the bench.

But I am not worried. We still have a shooting LW prospect with speed and size. But one that requires significant coaching and training on how to play, in both zones, when you don't have the puck on your stick.

Reactions: TheDebater

TheDebater

Peace be upon you
Mar 10, 2016
Ottawa
Re-work on the list, include the 2012-16 and remove guys like Zaitsev that shouldn't be there. Ages also should be there, years + months

Fair enough, I put it together quickly, it could have been better had I more time.

Ironically though, the members refuting my list are actually the ones who are in agreement with me on Jarventie; I.e, do not judge a player based on the WJC---whether good or bad.

The points total was meant to show that after a couple of years when the games themselves have been forgotten, most people will resort to picking apart statistics because actual gameplay might be harder to come by.

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
It was simply meant to highlight that even star NHL players do not necessarily have great WJC tournaments and pile on the points.

Using a guy like Zaitsev as an example shows that you can still carve out an NHL career even with 0 points at the WJC ( and I know he is not an offensive defenseman).

I do not get it though, you guys ignored a bunch of guys on my list and are nitpicking over a couple of guys. Plus I skipped like 3 tournaments between 2012 and 2016, could have been more examples.
I’m not nitpicking. I just don’t know why zaitsev was included lol. He’s a ..not very good nhler.

jarventie is fine. But he’s has a bad tournament. There are also tons of players that have underwhelming tournys and go on to have not that great nhl career or no nhl career at all

armani

High Jacques
Apr 8, 2005
Uranus
I know he sucked at the WJC, but Boom Boom did pick up a primary assist on his first game back with Ilves on January 16, now has 15 points in 20 games.

Sensinitis

Aug 5, 2012
I think he'll be just fine. He has very interesting upside. How many scoring winger prospects have compete and defensive game question marks to the game? Too many to count... A lot of them make the NHL and still have those question marks (Hoffman, Skinner, etc.) and some reform their game and become decent two-way forwards.

He's a late birthday and has plenty of time to fix his issues. He'll be in Finland at least another year after this one so we'll see how he develops during that time frame. His numbers are definitely impressive for somebody his age in a pro league, he just has to fine tune his game to make it NHL worthy and that doesn't happen overnight.

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
I think he'll be just fine. He has very interesting upside. How many scoring winger prospects have compete and defensive game question marks to the game? Too many to count... A lot of them make the NHL and still have those question marks (Hoffman, Skinner, etc.) and some reform their game and become decent two-way forwards.

He's a late birthday and has plenty of time to fix his issues. He'll be in Finland at least another year after this one so we'll see how he develops during that time frame. His numbers are definitely impressive for somebody his age in a pro league, he just has to fine tune his game to make it NHL worthy and that doesn't happen overnight.

I'm hoping he comes to play in Belleville next season. The kids needs a lot of coaching, training, working out. His Liiga team probably doesn't care much about developing him, they want to use his skills, they know he will be gone soon enough.

I like Troy Mann and he could be key for Jarventie's development.

I haven't looked for his contract situation over there, probably has another year left.

Last edited:
Reactions: aragorn

Dan Patrick

Mar 11, 2020
It's still so early and its been a weird season. I'm just going to go ahead and reserve my judgements on a lot of these kids until next year. If Jarventie is still looking stalled out next year the team should be trying to convince him to come play pro in North America. He can at least adjust to NA ice and he isn't going to find a team that wants him succeed more than the Belleville Senators.

Reactions: cudi

Tap on the Ankle

Jun 9, 2004
Ottawa
Another cold month for Jarventie, just 1 goal/point in his last 8 games. On the plus side that low ice-time game and scratch afterwards was just a blip, he quickly returned to ~14mins a night after that 2 goal game.

Seems like he has grown a bit too. On everything pre-draft I see him listed as 6'2" while eliteprospects has him at 6'3" and the Finnish league site is saying 6'4"+ (191cm). But not sure if they are just stretching the truth a bit on their young players like happens here with bantam players in the CHL pipeline.

Game logs | #21 Järventie, Roby | Liiga

Dan Patrick

Mar 11, 2020
Another cold month for Jarventie, just 1 goal/point in his last 8 games. On the plus side that low ice-time game and scratch afterwards was just a blip, he quickly returned to ~14mins a night after that 2 goal game.

Seems like he has grown a bit too. On everything pre-draft I see him listed as 6'2" while eliteprospects has him at 6'3" and the Finnish league site is saying 6'4"+ (191cm). But not sure if they are just stretching the truth a bit on their young players like happens here with bantam players in the CHL pipeline.

Game logs | #21 Järventie, Roby | Liiga

Huh that is really strange, the Ilves team site has him as 185cm, HockeyDB has him as 188cm and Eliteprospects and that Liiga site have him at 191. So he is somewhere between 6'1 and 6'4! I wonder if he has actually grown that much in the last 4-8 months if it could explain some of the poor play/getting scratched.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
I don't think we will know what we have in Jarventie until he comes to play in Belleville. Hopefully, it's next yr but if it's the following yr then I don't think it will be a problem & give him a little more time to fill out which he will need to be in the AHL. My guess is that he will need to play with a playmaker who can get him the puck in scoring positions & a tough winger who can do all the heavy lifting along the boards & in front of the net. In two yrs Greig could be in Belleville & would probably be a decent centre for Jarventie & if Sokolov is still there might be a decent playmaker for the line.

BoardsofCanada

Aug 26, 2009
G.T.A.
Huh that is really strange, the Ilves team site has him as 185cm, HockeyDB has him as 188cm and Eliteprospects and that Liiga site have him at 191. So he is somewhere between 6'1 and 6'4! I wonder if he has actually grown that much in the last 4-8 months if it could explain some of the poor play/getting scratched.

He looked really tall and skinny at the world juniors. He might've been the tallest kid on the Finnish team.

Reactions: Dan Patrick

Alf Silfversson

Jun 8, 2011

He certainly seemed to hit some sort of wall this season. Still growing might account for that.

Or he just ran out of gas.

FWIW I think his season overall is still quite encouraging. He flashed some really good skill and hockey smarts early on. Young players need to learn consistency but he showed he could play really well against men.

Hopefully takes the next step next season.

Reactions: Dan Patrick

dumbdick

Galactic Defender
May 31, 2008
I hate to say it but I have extremely low hope for this player after his AWFUL WJC showing.

Hope I'm wrong, but I'm not holding my breath

Sun God Nika

Palestine <3.
Apr 22, 2013
One of the younger players taken in the draft lots and lots of time for him to become someone if he wants to.

dumbdick

Galactic Defender
May 31, 2008
Thank god pro's have more patience than you do. My god, he's only 18 years old
I'm not saying he can't do it. I'm just not expecting much from him.

He's been demoted to my mental pressbox with the late round picks.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad