Prospect Info: 33rd overall Roby Jarventie LW FIN

Erika

Jan 9, 2007
Gatineau
So, how Roby Jarventie been doing at the WJC so far ?

Can someone give us a detailed evaluation of his play ? I've looked at the stats sheets, but it doesn't look very good... 0 points in 5 games ?! Especially when you consider the guy picked right behind him... J.J. Peterka who's been absolutely electric with Germany :oops:

Dan Patrick

Mar 11, 2020

Can someone give us a detailed evaluation of his play ? I've looked at the stats sheets, but it doesn't look very good... 0 points in 5 games ?! Especially when you consider the guy picked right behind him... J.J. Peterka who's been absolutely electric with Germany :oops:

Jarventie has had a rough tournament. I dont think we need to make long term judgements on young players like him based on one tournament. Got to wait and see how things go once he gets back to Liiga play. Could be as simple as he got in an argument with his coach or got injured or is just suffering really terrible jet lag, we will never know. Similarly, I don't think we should judge Peterka as being the home run some people want to after one tournament.

SensFactor

Oct 25, 2008
Ottawa
Jarventie has had a rough tournament. I dont think we need to make long term judgements on young players like him based on one tournament. Got to wait and see how things go once he gets back to Liiga play. Could be as simple as he got in an argument with his coach or got injured or is just suffering really terrible jet lag, we will never know. Similarly, I don't think we should judge Peterka as being the home run some people want to after one tournament.

I agree but I think you are undermining Peterka.

Last year at age of 17, he 4 goals and 2 assists at the WJC-20 and was one of Germany's best players. He also tallied 11pts in 42 games in the DEL men's league.

This year he was even better at age 18, where he had 4 goals and 6 assists (tied with Stutzle in pts) at the WJC-20. He's also been stellar in the Austrian mens league with 16 pts in 12 games.

Way to early to judge long-term but at this point in time Peterka is the better player.

Last edited:
Reactions: NB613 and cudi

TheDebater

Peace be upon you
Mar 10, 2016
Ottawa

I am going to help everyone feel a bit better about Jarventie's underwhelming performance at the 2021 WJC, albeit points are not the only way to judge good from bad, but it is a start (for example, you can play well and not get points or play real bad and still pick up points):

2010:

Kuznetsov: 2 points in 6 gp

Fowler: 2 points in 7gp

Zaitsev: 0 points in 6 gp

2011:

Baertschi- 2 points in 6 gp

Brock Nelson- 1 point in 5gp

Maatta- 0 points in 6 gp

Couturier- 3 points in 7 gp

2012:

W. Karlsson- 2 points in 6 gp

F. Forsberg- 1 point in 6 gp

---- skipped a few years for the sake of longevity----

2016:

DeBrincat- 1 point in 5 gp

Virtanen- 1 point in 5 gp

Chlapik - 0 points in 5 gp

McAvoy- 0 points in 7 gp

2017:

Heiskanen- 1 point in 6 gp

Elias Peterssen- 1 point in 6 gp

Balcers- 2 points in 6 gp

2018:

Fabbro- 0 points in 7 gp

Abramov- 1 point in 5 gp

Heiskanen- 2 points in 5 gp

Q. Hughes- 3 points in 7 gp

Norris- 3 points in 7 gp

------------------

Now somebody bookmark this post so you can post it every time the "Jarventie sucked at WJC therefore he is a bust" debates come up again.

Dan Patrick

Mar 11, 2020
Yeah, sorry I shouldn't deride Peterka too much, I think that he should be a solid middle six player in the NHL. I like his chances of being successful in the NHL at this point more than Jarventie. That being said I still like Jarventies upside more. I think he has the ability to become a top 6 scoring winger and put his chances of achieving that still about on par with Peterka. The thing I think you could criticize Jarventie for is that I think this tournament shows you a bit is that if he isn't successful in the top 6 he isn't a player you want playing a lot of minutes for your team. Peterka I think could handle those bottom six minutes much better.

Agent Zub

Jan 2, 2015
I am going to help everyone feel a bit better about Jarventie's underwhelming performance at the 2021 WJC, albeit points are not the only way to judge good from bad, but it is a start (for example, you can play well and not get points or play real bad and still pick up points):

2010:

2011:

Maatta- 0 points in 6 gp

2012:

2016:

McAvoy- 0 points in 7 gp

2017:

2018:

Fabbro- 0 points in 7 gp

Abramov- 1 point in 5 gp

Norris- 3 points in 7 gp

------------------

Now somebody bookmark this post so you can post it every time the "Jarventie sucked at WJC therefore he is a bust" debates come up again.

Couldn't care about the points. What I was disappointed in was his playstyle.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
Couldn't care about the points. What I was disappointed in was his playstyle.

Yeah, it's one thing to have a bad tournament, it's another to be in the running for most useless player.

And I watched all the games involving our prospects.

That's ok - the odds of all of our picks exceeding expectations at the WJC is unrealistic.

Last edited:

Agent Zub

Jan 2, 2015
Did you also watch all of those players I mentioned above, in all the previous WJC tournaments too?

some of them. but most of those players bring a lot more than scoring anyway. if jarventie scored a couple of one time goals on the powerplay would that have really changed much? i still wouldn't have been impressed in his play.

Last edited:

Timüthy18

Jan 1, 2021
Jarventie has definitely been underwhelming and falling down the lineup. What everyone needs to remember, this is his 18-year old WJC. He has lots of time and opportunity to come back and be one of Finland’s go-to guys at next years tournament.

Reactions: Xspyrit

ReginKarlssonLehner

Let's Win It All
May 3, 2010
Dubai Marina
I remember last year Byfield being absolutely brutal and bobbling every pass his way.

Jarventie was drafted as a very, very raw player. If I see him struggle this bad next year then sure, concerns are legit. But my God, that performance.. especially for a FIN.

What concerned me the most was not his playstyle or lack of production. It was just his lethargic demeanor. Whenever Finland scored and they showed the bench... almost EVERYONE was up in arms except him, he barely reacted.. at all.

Reactions: Crosside

Dan Patrick

Mar 11, 2020
I remember last year Byfield being absolutely brutal and bobbling every pass his way.

Jarventie was drafted as a very, very raw player. If I see him struggle this bad next year then sure, concerns are legit. But my God, that performance.. especially for a FIN.

What concerned me the most was not his playstyle or lack of production. It was just his lethargic demeanor. Whenever Finland scored and they showed the bench... almost EVERYONE was up in arms except him, he barely reacted.. at all.

This is sort of what lead me to think there might be something else going on. If a player looks slow or outclassed at a tournament that is one thing. He looks like a kicked puppy most of the time and is still getting 5 minutes of ice time a game, it's a strange situation.

Matsens15

Dec 1, 2009
Ottawa
I don’t get why people are freaking out. He’s 18 year old. Yes he had a bad tournament but he still have next year where he will be 1 year older with more experience in the Liiga.

Daffy

Jun 10, 2010
He's had a bad tournament but is still very young and raw. Besides, still two games left. Maybe he becomes the hero. Lol

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013

2010:

2011:

Maatta- 0 points in 6 gp

2012:

2016:

McAvoy- 0 points in 7 gp

2017:

2018:

Fabbro- 0 points in 7 gp

Abramov- 1 point in 5 gp

Norris- 3 points in 7 gp

------------------

A) using Zaitsev here is incredible I laughed out loud

B) I don’t think anyone thinks he’s a bust because of this tournament. He’s just been what he’s been. Not very good. And people taken soon after have been good to great. And he has that style that does not exactly appeal to everyone.

Reactions: SensFactor and cudi

Icelevel

During these difficult times...
Sep 9, 2009
I don’t get why people are freaking out. He’s 18 year old. Yes he had a bad tournament but he still have next year where he will be 1 year older with more experience in the Liiga.
No ones freaking out. Just commenting on how bad he’s been. When he plays well we’ll talk about that instead.
I don’t think anyone’s saying he’s a bust yet.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
giphy.gif

Reactions: Matsens15

foggyvisor

Jun 28, 2018
Robbie is a double-edged sword. Otherwise he would have been a 1st rounder.

We've seen one edge: the skills and size he used to put up 14 points in 19 games in the Liga.

Now we're seeing the other edge: a moody, inconsistent player with questionable work ethic who will regularly end up in the coach's dog-house.

He's a Logan Brown type.

Icelevel

During these difficult times...
Sep 9, 2009
Robbie is a double-edged sword. Otherwise he would have been a 1st rounder.

We've seen one edge: the skills and size he used to put up 14 points in 19 games in the Liga.

Now we're seeing the other edge: a moody, inconsistent player with questionable work ethic who will regularly end up in the coach's dog-house.

He's a Logan Brown type.
Woah easy on Logan Brown there.

Logan has produced everywhere so far. I get what you’re saying but we need to be fair with these guys. Especially at the start of their careers.

Ok back to Roby long rope

TheDebater

Peace be upon you
Mar 10, 2016
Ottawa
Heiskanen was a star. No idea why you used him. You also used some defensive d men then brought up their point totals. It was a strange post overall.

A) using Zaitsev here is incredible I laughed out loud

B) I don’t think anyone thinks he’s a bust because of this tournament. He’s just been what he’s been. Not very good. And people taken soon after have been good to great. And he has that style that does not exactly appeal to everyone.

It was simply meant to highlight that even star NHL players do not necessarily have great WJC tournaments and pile on the points.

Using a guy like Zaitsev as an example shows that you can still carve out an NHL career even with 0 points at the WJC ( and I know he is not an offensive defenseman).

I do not get it though, you guys ignored a bunch of guys on my list and are nitpicking over a couple of guys. Plus I skipped like 3 tournaments between 2012 and 2016, could have been more examples.

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
It was simply meant to highlight that even star NHL players do not necessarily have great WJC tournaments and pile on the points.

Using a guy like Zaitsev as an example shows that you can still carve out an NHL career even with 0 points at the WJC ( and I know he is not an offensive defenseman).

I do not get it though, you guys ignored a bunch of guys on my list and are nitpicking over a couple of guys. Plus I skipped like 3 tournaments between 2012 and 2016, could have been more examples.

Re-work on the list, include the 2012-16 and remove guys like Zaitsev that shouldn't be there. Ages also should be there, years + months

Reactions: TheDebater

SensFactor

Oct 25, 2008
Ottawa
Well let's hope if nothing else Jarventie gets some playing time today. His butt has been making love to the bench last 2 games.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $36,790.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Cagliari vs Lecce
    Cagliari vs Lecce
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $25.00