Post-Game Talk: #33| Saturday, Dec 17, 2016| Flyers 1 at Stars 3

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
Leier deserves to stay but his last name isn't VandeVelde or Bellemare unfortunately. I'd imagine him & Cousins fall victim of losing spots when Couturier & Read get back.

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
Damn, losing Streit finally caught up with us :whine:

If Streit was out the whole win streak they would've had more wins in those 10 games. Like at least 11 or 12.

He sucks.

Leier deserves to stay but his last name isn't VandeVelde or Bellemare unfortunately. I'd imagine him & Cousins fall victim of losing spots when Couturier & Read get back.

I really wish it could be:

Raffl-Giroux- Voracek
Konecny-Couturier-Simmonds
Read-Cousins-Weise
Leier-Laughton-Lyubimov

But the chances of that are roughly the same as the chances of me dressing for a game.

SaSaShi

Apr 16, 2015
If Streit was out the whole win streak they would've had more wins in those 10 games. Like at least 11 or 12.

He sucks.

I really wish it could be:

Raffl-Giroux- Voracek
Konecny-Couturier-Simmonds
Read-Cousins-Weise
Leier-Laughton-Lyubimov

But the chances of that are roughly the same as the chances of me dressing for a game.

Where did you trade schenn??

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
I picked the perfect afternoon to go see Rogue One.

Figures that Niemi would boost his SV% against us.

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
Who's at fault for the loss?

See this is a problem with this board. Everything has to be blamed on someone. Gotta throw blame around at all times.

Sometimes you just lose and it's no one persons fault. Maybe the other team was just better. Maybe it was bad luck.

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
Neither team was great but it's not like anyone was to blame. They just didn't win. Overall the team was pretty good but two posts and a few lucky saves later, Neimi won.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Well isn't the PK now ranked like 13th, and it was in the 20s a few weeks ago. Who are our chief PK guys? Just sayin . . .

I think Leier is getting the Luby treatment, for the same reason, bring in a kid due to injury, he's not going to have a lot of time to practice with the team and know the scheme (Yes, it should be installed at Lehigh, but it isn't right now as far as I've read).

We saw earlier this season what happens when this team isn't on the same page and it's not pretty.

This game points out what I posted after the last game, that the 10 win streak was a bit fluky, this game they were outplayed but not by a wide margin, and whereas they won a couple games in the streak where they were outplayed much worse, this afternoon they didn't get the breaks from the refs (a lot of tripping didn't get called) or on Provorov's shots or on pucks bouncing around the crease.

Point is they're a good team, better than last season, but not a great team that reels off long winning streaks on merit. But that day is coming (with Morin, Sanheim, Myers, Lindblom, et al).

Ghosts Beer

I saw Goody Fletcher with the Devil!
Feb 10, 2014
I thought all the Flyers' defensemen had subpar games defensively except MacDonald, especially Gudas and MDZ, and I thought the 2nd line was ineffective.

Didn't get the PPs necessary to help bail them out.

They were due to fall back to Earth. Wish Hakstok would've yanked Mason for the 2nd half of the late PP.

Captain Dave Poulin

Imaginary Cat
Apr 30, 2015
Tokyo, JP
Newbie-ish question please: has anyone ever seen an empty net work? It's done so consistently that I assume it must sometimes, even though I've never seen it. When have you seen a team equalise that way in the last minutes, as opposed to giving up a further goal due to lack of goaltending, which I have seen many, many times?

I have seen it work at times, and I have seen it fail repeatedly. That's not to say that it's a bad option, because it's not, but it's risk born of desperation at the end of a game. It has always been part of the game, but fairly recently coaches have started gambling with it earlier than they used to. A few decades ago you would never see a coach do it with more than two minutes left - off the top of my head, I'm guessing the average pull was with between 1-1:30 left - but some coaches now are doing it earlier, and for longer. I think the idea is that with the man advantage you can sustain pressure in the O zone and have a higher chance of scoring (with a concurrent higher chance of conceding), because if you didn't have that man advantage it would be harder to retain or retrieve the puck and set up your offense. If you think of the way the game flows back and forth from one end of the ice to the other in the normal course of play, it devours time, and you don't have any time to spare at the end of the game needing to score - so you roll the dice.

Captain Dave Poulin

Imaginary Cat
Apr 30, 2015
Tokyo, JP
I really wonder if Schenn having a PP hat-trick last week had any influence on the officiating tonight, i.e. the Stars were winning until they started to get flagged down for penalties late in last weekend's game.

I don't really care given that we had ample opportunity to win this game, but I wonder if that is actually something that crosses their mind.

I am at least 100 billion % sure that Lindy ****ing Ruff gave them an earful before the game. The next time that guy passes up a chance to whine about something will be the first. I agree with you that we had enough opportunities to win the game, and I don't really believe the refs are to blame for the loss at all, but they were extra bad tonight. And "extra bad" in the midst of a historically bad season is something.

Captain Dave Poulin

Imaginary Cat
Apr 30, 2015
Tokyo, JP
Thank you, that's really helpful, too. I'm afraid that I would have assumed those stats were from penalties, so wouldn't have thought to seek them out. I realise that it may be irritating to answer basic questions, so I tend to just lurk and learn, but this one I knew you guys could set me on track really easily. I really do appreciate it.

I live in the UK, and have small kids; one with additional needs. Time's at kind of a premium, and games end at 3 am here more often than not, so I get to watch maybe a third of them, and usually with matchsticks propping my eyelids. I've only been a fan a handful of years, obviously, so I'm learning all the time still. But I love it so much. No other sport comes close.

I'm pretty sure no one on here minds at all answering these questions - it's nice to have a new fan around, and we are here to talk about hockey. Ask anytime :yo:

HereNow16

Oct 18, 2016
Germany
Thank you, that's really helpful, too. I'm afraid that I would have assumed those stats were from penalties, so wouldn't have thought to seek them out. I realise that it may be irritating to answer basic questions, so I tend to just lurk and learn, but this one I knew you guys could set me on track really easily. I really do appreciate it.

Fellow new fan from Europe here, and I've been doing a lot of learning and lurking, too, which already helps a lot with learning more about hockey.
But my experience with this board has been that whenever I did ask one of those basic questions I've been embarassed about not knowing, the people on the boards were always quick and helpful to step in and answer them, or referring me to a user who could give even more insight. Everyone was always willing to help and nobody made me feel stupid for not knowing, it's one of the things I really enjoy about being on these boards. :handclap:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad