Post-Game Talk: #33| Saturday, Dec 17, 2016| Flyers 1 at Stars 3

Maurice of Orange

Wahatquenak
Feb 5, 2016
Dallas had a lot of puck luck today and the Flyers did not, Provorov was trying to tie the game at the end but hit the post twice, sometimes the bounces don't go the Flyers way.

Glad they were able to win 10 games in a row, but the Flyers can't win them all, time to start a new streak against Nashville.

phil162888

Jul 28, 2012
I was hoping he wouldn't pull the goalie on the PP. 6on4 doesn't really make a difference. Just makes it more crowded and kills the flow of the PP.

I disagree the biggest weakness on our PP, is losing loose pucks with a 6 on 4 that should be pretty much eliminated. You saw how strong we were 6 on 5.

Regaridng coach bashing by another [poster}...Hakstol has gotten this team back to a disciplined agressive style game thats been successful (I'm happy for him and he's been great as of late getting this team focused) but that doesn't mean fans can't criticise basic decisions that could change the outcome of a game... gimme a break.

Appleyard

Mar 5, 2010
Copenhagen
twitter.com
Ok but lately he's been breaking his stick trying to one-time far too often. The same with Voracek TBH.

Just one of those things... it will even out.

The team as a whole has broken a hell of a lot of sticks in the last few games on shots.

Provy has broken 2-3, Gudas ~2, Ghost ~2, Schenn ~2.

New (non-wooden!) sticks + pro athletes putting all their strength into a shot means summat has to give sometimes! Especially as with almost every one timers players hit the ice with the blade a millisecond before the puck.

Flyerss

Jun 23, 2013
Can I ask when, if you can remember? It's one of those things I know must - the coaches aren't idiots - but I really want to actually see it happen. (Sorry, if this really is not the moment to ask for a tutorial in hockey 101. I'm just curious as to how often it pays off.)

Magua

Entirely Palatable Product
Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes
The Flyers already have 3 6v5 goals and 2 6v4 goals just this season alone. Actually ranked #2 and #1 in each of those respectively in the NHL. So, yeah....they happen. ;)

(granted a couple of those might be on delayed penalties)

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
NY-AU559_NYSTAM_G_20110225181103.jpg

That's just the negative with composite sticks. The positive still far outweighs them though. The whip on the stick adds some extra velocity.

CSKA1974

Feb 10, 2010
Flyerville
They did not play a bad game by any means though. Crappy 2nd period but strong 1st and 3rds.

52.09% expected goals for overall, had more chances than Dallas too, 2 posts, bad reffing.

Just one of those games.

No-one is really to blame apart from the gods of fate. That game could have gone either way really. Fairest result would probably have been it going to OT... both teams played well enough to get a point.

Thank you!

CSKA1974

Feb 10, 2010
Flyerville
I disagree the biggest weakness on our PP, is losing loose pucks with a 6 on 4 that should be pretty much eliminated. You saw how strong we were 6 on 5.

Regaridng coach bashing by another [poster}...Hakstol has gotten this team back to a disciplined agressive style game thats been successful (I'm happy for him and he's been great as of late getting this team focused) but that doesn't mean fans can't criticise basic decisions that could change the outcome of a game... gimme a break.

That was my comment that you are responding to. I strongly believe in everyone's right to express her/ his own opinion. Furthermore, this is the site for opinions, and I really enjoy being a part of it.

Having said that, I can express my own dissatisfaction with some posters who, in my opinion, exaggerate in expressing their dislikes.

If this is really annoying to someone, please feel free to put me on your ignore list.

GapToothedWonder

Dec 20, 2013
Paris of the Praries
Maybe they should work on them. Lately they haven't looked too promising. I'm not asking for Shea Weber's one-timer. Just hit the damn net ;)

So then you think they are breaking their sticks because of a lack of technique? I really don't see what you are trying to get at.

"Ok but lately he's been breaking his stick trying to one-time far too often. The same with Voracek TBH."

I mean based on your two statements you think that J and G take too many one timers for your liking. And you don't like it because their sticks break to often because of their lack of practice?

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
The boys had no legs today after the 1st. Plain and simple.

The refs were brutal as always.

MacDonald was pure garbage. My favorite play was when he inexplicably collided with Giroux as he was teeing up a one-timer. Terrible hockey player.

Mondays game is huge. Dont want to let the streak ending get them down and lead to some losses piling up.

kelmitchell

Jun 11, 2013
Newark Delaware
Players really just seemed tired, they had a bad 2nd but still the rest of the game you could tell they were just fatigued, I had a feeling we would lose to the stars

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
Benching Lube when he should have been promoting him and not pulling the goalie on the PP were both awful decisions by Hakstol.

Theres really no arguing that. The players lost the game though ultimately. Our worst players were at their worst and our best didnt do much.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
Rewarding Lube with a benching while VDV doesn't miss a shift is UND bias at its worst. So ducking stupid.

VdV is so ****ing bad at hockey. He had that one good play on the PK but otherwise the puck commited suicide any time he touched it. Awful terrible no good very bad player.

Magua

Entirely Palatable Product
Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes
Happy for Leier. Has all the makings of a high energy, speedy, smart bottom 6 winger. A dream bottom 6 of.....

Read-Schenn-Weise
Leier-Cousins-Lyubimov

....would be something. But Leier will probably be returned in a couple weeks. Real shot will be next year, but this has been a good audition. I think each game he has gotten more confident since his call-up.

Juicy Pop

BONK
Apr 26, 2014
Scranton, PA
I really wonder if Schenn having a PP hat-trick last week had any influence on the officiating tonight, i.e. the Stars were winning until they started to get flagged down for penalties late in last weekend's game.

I don't really care given that we had ample opportunity to win this game, but I wonder if that is actually something that crosses their mind.

explosive skating

Jul 5, 2015
So then you think they are breaking their sticks because of a lack of technique? I really don't see what you are trying to get at.

"Ok but lately he's been breaking his stick trying to one-time far too often. The same with Voracek TBH."

I mean based on your two statements you think that J and G take too many one timers for your liking. And you don't like it because their sticks break to often because of their lack of practice?

Ok I will correct it for you:

Lately they've been breaking their sticks far too often trying to take one timers.

Never mind. They must improve them - this is all I want to say :laugh:

qalex

Feb 13, 2013
The Flyers already have 3 6v5 goals and 2 6v4 goals just this season alone. Actually ranked #2 and #1 in each of those respectively in the NHL. So, yeah....they happen. ;)

(granted a couple of those might be on delayed penalties)

Thank you, that's really helpful, too. I'm afraid that I would have assumed those stats were from penalties, so wouldn't have thought to seek them out. I realise that it may be irritating to answer basic questions, so I tend to just lurk and learn, but this one I knew you guys could set me on track really easily. I really do appreciate it.

I live in the UK, and have small kids; one with additional needs. Time's at kind of a premium, and games end at 3 am here more often than not, so I get to watch maybe a third of them, and usually with matchsticks propping my eyelids. I've only been a fan a handful of years, obviously, so I'm learning all the time still. But I love it so much. No other sport comes close.

(Embarrassingly I'm pretty sure I saw the Kimmo goal in early '13 - I checked the boxscore on NHL.com and vaguely remember the last three goals - but I doubt I really understood what was happening enough, back then, to understand the significance of anything but it being equalised in the last 10 seconds.)

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad