Post-Game Talk: #33 on 3/3 @ 4pm PST — Whither Chara?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ridley Simon

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Marin County — SF Bay Area, CA
tenor.gif
Embrace the worry.

Carlzner

Oct 31, 2011
Denver, CO
On a side note. Tonight is a reason why Wilson on Ov's line is better than Sheary.
I like Sheary but if Wilson is on that line tonight, they score a goal. Those 3 are the perfect compliment to each other especially when #8 is playing like he did tonight.

Wilson was a stud tonight, thought his line mates were pretty pedestrian though

twabby

Mar 9, 2010
The 4th line was also excellent tonight. My instinct is that in tougher but managed minutes they can come out with some decent results. I think hard-matching them to the opponent's top line is typically a fool's errand, but giving them heavy defensive zone starts along with a few starts here and there against the opponent's top two lines can work out nicely. Their deployment tonight seemed sensical and their results were excellent: all 3 players at around ~85% xGF% at even strength.

It kind of reminds me what the Blackhawks used to do with Marcus Kruger and his wingers to great success, especially from 2014-16. They typically got the toughest zone starts, but were at least able to tread water so that the more skilled forwards could get better opportunities to score with easier starts. I like Laviolette's instinct here, even if he went a bit overboard with their usage at first.

Reactions: ALLCAPSALLTHETIME

Devil Dancer

Jan 21, 2006
I also thought that was their most intelligent, patient 3v3 OT of the year. A lot of smart regroups when nothing was happening, and very few defensive breakdowns. It's not a scenario likely to repeat in the postseason, but it was nice to see the hockey sense displayed tonight.
They were strong defensively in OT, but they didn't generate much offense, either.

I don't really care because it's irrelevant to playoff success, but I'm not going to give them too much credit for an OT in which they weren't dangerous at all. 3v3 with this much scoring talent, they should be able to generate opportunities.

zappa4ever

Music is the Best!
Feb 10, 2010
MD/VA/WV intersection
Great game. Caps fans, B's fans, hockey fans all around would say the same
Great game from pretty much everyone, love to see this team hang in a defensive battle
Plenty to love, want to go watch it again
Play like this come playoffs, and we'll be looking good

Raikkonen

Dumb guy
Aug 19, 2009
Russia
On a side note. Tonight is a reason why Wilson on Ov's line is better than Sheary.
I think the end result is not that bad. One can decide Ovi wont get into fight, will retaliate, wont be suspended for that, and Wilson will still talk with you. Even powerplay is not a given.

Too much risk for next punk.

AussieCapsFan

Apr 30, 2017
Gold Coast
They were strong defensively in OT, but they didn't generate much offense, either.

I don't really care because it's irrelevant to playoff success, but I'm not going to give them too much credit for an OT in which they weren't dangerous at all. 3v3 with this much scoring talent, they should be able to generate opportunities.

They seem to just play keep away when they get to OT. I really hate it. Makes it look like they are trying to get it to a shootout. Makes no sense because they have the offence to score in OT and they should play that way.

AussieCapsFan

Apr 30, 2017
Gold Coast
I think the end result is not that bad. One can decide Ovi wont get into fight, will retaliate, wont be suspended for that, and Wilson will still talk with you. Even powerplay is not a given.

That little bitch Frederic with his high pitched voice. Even higher pitched after taking a stick to the nuts.

I hope Wilson knocks him out next game.

Ovechkins Wodka

Dec 1, 2007
DC
They seem to just play keep away when they get to OT. I really hate it. Makes it look like they are trying to get it to a shootout. Makes no sense because they have the offence to score in OT and they should play that way.
Having the puck is the most important part of 3on3 OT. Just remember last OT... Orlov takes a bad shot misses the net and the Pens score 2 seconds later. I have no problem holding the puck for the Bs to mess up and give us a 2 on 1.

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
i don’t really blame anyone. They tried to make a play and got bested by one of the best lines in hockey. Should kuz probably not have forced that pass? Sure. Could Carlson have handled it better? Sure. Not every goal needs a whipping boy.
I thought it was a low quality pass in a bad position on the ice which is why I called it out. Putting a pass into skates below the circles isn’t a big deal but doing it at the blue line with multiple opposing players around you puts the team in a vulnerable position and has a high probability of turning out poorly. That’s what you get with Kuzy though, more often than not he can make magic happen on the ice but sometimes he’s going to put the team in a tough spot because he’s willing to take more risks than other players. If he’s skating like he did last night I won’t complain about it.

pman25

Aug 29, 2009
Richmond
I get what role Frederic is trying to play but at least get in a full season before coming after a legend... like he really had that one coming. His teammates didn’t even do anything to respond lol they probably warned him

McVechkin

Jun 29, 2015
I get what role Frederic is trying to play but at least get in a full season before coming after a legend... like he really had that one coming. His teammates didn’t even do anything to respond lol they probably warned him

He's lucky he didnt get the Svech treatment.

McVechkin

Jun 29, 2015
What a difference a few weeks make.

If this is our potential with a full lineup and with more of a grasp of Laviolette's system, I feel much much much more confident in the team than I have been in years.

I would say the good thing is that I dont think this is their potential. They can be better. Boston will be better too, though.

Reactions: tenken00

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC

Ovechkin was fined. He will get suspended the next something like this comes up.
If Wilson is not on the ice with Ovechkin and the Ovechkin harrasser is, how is Wilson effective with a talk?
With the fine and the penalty harrassers are already encouraged

ovikovy817

May 23, 2015
Belgium
Wonderful game. And Caps won so it's even better.

Almost 24 hours after the game I still don't believe the overturned call. I want the CONCLUSIVE proofs of the offside.

Like someone said few pages ago. Everyone wants to get their Tom Wilson but at best they have 4th line plugs. Frederic is in that case. The best he can do is to stay in Boston for 2-3 years as at 4th liner and then he'll bounce from team to team and finish his career.

At the very best he can maybe become a Matt Martin for Boston. Playing 8 minutes per game and try to hit everything.

AussieCapsFan

Apr 30, 2017
Gold Coast
Ovechkin was fined. He will get suspended the next something like this comes up.
If Wilson is not on the ice with Ovechkin and the Ovechkin harrasser is, how is Wilson effective with a talk?
With the fine and the penalty harrassers are already encouraged

I think Frederic will have his hands full next game. Wouldn't be surprised if Wilson fights him

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad