GDT: #33| New York Islanders @ Phoenix Coyotes | December 12th | 9:00pm | F/L 6-3

cjdv16

Nov 22, 2005
The Swamp
The defense sucks in their own zone, and combined with allowing such easy entry, I'm surprised we are not giving up 8 goals a game, it is a turkey shoot in our end.

Watch how easily other teams clear the zone and how putrid the Isles are. They get hemmed in for minutes on end. I'd love to see the O-zone stats for the season. I'd have to say something like 75% to 25%.

All that said, there was a play last night... I want to say in the 2nd period. Isles controlled the puck in the O-zone for a good 90 seconds maintaining puck possession the entire time. They moved, passed, cycled, etc.

Guess what.... no shot. Phoenix kept them to the perimeter and defended it to perfection. If the roles were reversed, Isles give up a goal in the first 45 seconds of that shift.

I just shook my head at the TV screen after watching that play in favor of a Christmas special.

This team is a M-*** **** show.

On Edge

Nov 26, 2005
Long Island
Made a sales call in Philly yesterday...this guy and I get to talking hockey he is of course big Flyer fan. I tell him I'm an Islander fan and he just shakes his head in genuine pity and says "man, what a shame what's happened to that franchise. It used to be the STANDARD for excellence...sorry dude".

This team is a mess. As bad as any time I can remember.

Where do you start?

Coach - GM change ala Calgary - Buffalo but we all know that will never happen with Wanger.

That leaves the players. Only untouchable is Tavares. EVERYONE else should be on the table. Won't make any of them nervous though - is a there a team out there that is in worse shape? Worse ownership? Worse management, coaching? I feel for Tavares.

Tavares and whatever fans are left.

TeamKidd

Aug 9, 2004
the main problem i see with this team is that they do not ever, ever ever play the body. im excluding matt martin and cal, but the rest of them never ever play the body. especially in the defensive end.

they follow the puck around like chickens with their heads cut off, chop at sticks and hope to deflect every freaking pass instead of trying to knock someone over. i forget which goal last night but there were literally 4 islanders in the net trying to follow it into the net. ness i think it was, needed to knock his guy into next thursday, instead he tried to lift the stick, missed, and three other guys just went like lemmings into the net trying to get the puck out. how about staying with your man and checking him when he gets the puck. generally people dont score from their butts.

its really pathetic to watch. and you know you ahve major problems when eric boulton is the only one to score a goal in the last 9 games other than the first line.

camper*

the main problem i see with this team is that they do not ever, ever ever play the body. im excluding matt martin and cal, but the rest of them never ever play the body. especially in the defensive end.

they follow the puck around like chickens with their heads cut off, chop at sticks and hope to deflect every freaking pass instead of trying to knock someone over. i forget which goal last night but there were literally 4 islanders in the net trying to follow it into the net. ness i think it was, needed to knock his guy into next thursday, instead he tried to lift the stick, missed, and three other guys just went like lemmings into the net trying to get the puck out. how about staying with your man and checking him when he gets the puck. generally people dont score from their butts.

its really pathetic to watch. and you know you ahve major problems when eric boulton is the only one to score a goal in the last 9 games other than the first line.

:nod:…..Hockey 101

On Edge

Nov 26, 2005
Long Island

Spot on. It reminded me of watching pee-wee hockey games with the kids all running around like a flock of seagulls following the puck. I mean I learned this at 7 or 8. Really amazing. It has NOTHING to do with skill level and everything to do with instruction and coaching.

A Pointed Stick

No Idea About The Future
Dec 23, 2010

This. And last game it was suggested to trade Martin by a number of folk. :shakehead. We need more guys to play physically.

BTrotts19

May 17, 2013
LI, NY
Spot on. It reminded me of watching pee-wee hockey games with the kids all running around like a flock of seagulls following the puck. I mean I learned this at 7 or 8. Really amazing. It has NOTHING to do with skill level and everything to do with instruction and coaching.

I agree but our defense other than maybe Hamonic and Streit are physically unable to move a standard NHL player, nevermind the Lucic and Dustin Brown's of the league but you are all correct, even when we are not short handed, they are playing a zone and almost never challenge a player with the puck physically. It is coaching, and the team that Garth gave said coach. :shakehead

NYrisles

Mar 14, 2013
CT
Aaron Ness is awful. He's so bad he can't skate backwards. Watch him when he's taking on the rush he stands straight up, points around, and falls down. He's so garbage.

Uncle Lou

Jun 20, 2010
New York
This team is just way too easy to play against, what happened to the playoff team last year where everyone wore there heart on there sleeves for this team, they were finishing checks, blocking shots, winning battles on the boards and hustling, now it seems like they don't even want to play and are going through the motions, it's frustrating because there playing bad yes, but also because we know there potential and no one is playing up to it right now, I think this season is over. What a shame

BillD

Feb 12, 2004
This team is just way too easy to play against, what happened to the playoff team last year where everyone wore there heart on there sleeves for this team, they were finishing checks, blocking shots, winning battles on the boards and hustling, now it seems like they don't even want to play and are going through the motions, it's frustrating because there playing bad yes, but also because we know there potential and no one is playing up to it right now, I think this season is over. What a shame
The season is beyond salvage and Snow knows that. All planning has to be directed toward trade deadline, draft, and free agency as the team is encouraged to play hard, but they go through the motions.
Many of the players on this team were on the playoff team last year, so their lack of performance along with the new Islanders is puzzling.
This can only lead to poor coaching and poor leadership on the ice and in the room. How else does Hamonic, Amac, Grabs, Bailey, Martin, CMac, Zeek regress? Okposo seems like the only player to have progressed, with JT remaining about the same overall but less of a finisher.
What we see game in and game out is a team of players who can not execute fundamental hockey skills at the pro level, and do not always attempt to do so.
The culture was supposed to have been changed...."A shift in power". Not even close. If blowing up the team were possible I would agree to it, but it can not be done in the CBA world. The coaching staff should be changed and a professional, proved head coach and assistants brought in. Jack has lost the team, he is a lovable Teddy bear but he does not have their attention and he is deficient as a game day bench boss, he gets outcoached regularly, and is slow to make effective changes. There must be some dismantling of useless passengers, despite the downside loss. I would rather go with JT and a handful of gritty heart and sole players like Eric Nystrom that stick with most of what we have now. Feed in some of our good prospects like Nelson, Strome, Lee and get this thing back on the tracks, it is going to crash into the wall right now.

CaptDenisPotvin

The Tampa Bay Astros are your 2021 Champions
Jun 20, 2007
The season is beyond salvage and Snow knows that. All planning has to be directed toward trade deadline, draft, and free agency as the team is encouraged to play hard, but they go through the motions.
Many of the players on this team were on the playoff team last year, so their lack of performance along with the new Islanders is puzzling.This can only lead to poor coaching and poor leadership on the ice and in the room. How else does Hamonic, Amac, Grabs, Bailey, Martin, CMac, Zeek regress? Okposo seems like the only player to have progressed, with JT remaining about the same overall but less of a finisher.
What we see game in and game out is a team of players who can not execute fundamental hockey skills at the pro level, and do not always attempt to do so.
The culture was supposed to have been changed...."A shift in power". Not even close. If blowing up the team were possible I would agree to it, but it can not be done in the CBA world. The coaching staff should be changed and a professional, proved head coach and assistants brought in. Jack has lost the team, he is a lovable Teddy bear but he does not have their attention and he is deficient as a game day bench boss, he gets outcoached regularly, and is slow to make effective changes. There must be some dismantling of useless passengers, despite the downside loss. I would rather go with JT and a handful of gritty heart and sole players like Eric Nystrom that stick with most of what we have now. Feed in some of our good prospects like Nelson, Strome, Lee and get this thing back on the tracks, it is going to crash into the wall right now.

I haven't really thought about it but perhaps Mark Streit was more important in the locker room? Who knows why these guys have been this bad but one of the few guys that was on the team last year (Captain) and is not on the team this year.

Frankie41987

Feb 1, 2007
Kings Park
Many of the players on this team were on the playoff team last year, so their lack of performance along with the new Islanders is puzzling.
This can only lead to poor coaching and poor leadership on the ice and in the room. How else does Hamonic, Amac, Grabs, Bailey, Martin, CMac, Zeek regress? Okposo seems like the only player to have progressed, with JT remaining about the same overall but less of a finisher.

I don't necessarily think its the lack of Streit's presence in the locker room, but more that fact that we are playing this year with out last year's 2 best puck moving defensemen (Streit, Vis). That takes a big tole on the team. Amac and Hamonic have to play more, and play in roles they shouldn't have to (not to mention the rest of the defensive corps). And then players like Cmac, MM and Cizikas don't really have guys who can push the puck up the ice so they can pressure and grind in the offensive zone. Having guys like that that can move the puck through the neutral zone not only help the offense break out and maintain pressure, but also relieves pressure on the defensive end. Everyone has to play harder to compensate, and many have to play roles they shouldn't be in.
As for Bailey and Grabs, who really knows. But Bailey seems to be a guy who needs to be comfortable and play off his line mates. I also don't know why it hasn't been suggested he is moved back to left wing, I;m not blaming his play on the position switch but maybe he is just more comfortable on the left. Its a simple thing and makes no sense not to try him back on that side.

Strome18

Oct 23, 2010
Florida
I don't necessarily think its the lack of Streit's presence in the locker room, but more that fact that we are playing this year with out last year's 2 best puck moving defensemen (Streit, Vis). That takes a big tole on the team. Amac and Hamonic have to play more, and play in roles they shouldn't have to (not to mention the rest of the defensive corps). And then players like Cmac, MM and Cizikas don't really have guys who can push the puck up the ice so they can pressure and grind in the offensive zone. Having guys like that that can move the puck through the neutral zone not only help the offense break out and maintain pressure, but also relieves pressure on the defensive end. Everyone has to play harder to compensate, and many have to play roles they shouldn't be in.
As for Bailey and Grabs, who really knows. But Bailey seems to be a guy who needs to be comfortable and play off his line mates. I also don't know why it hasn't been suggested he is moved back to left wing, I;m not blaming his play on the position switch but maybe he is just more comfortable on the left. Its a simple thing and makes no sense not to try him back on that side.

Very well stated.

TeamKidd

Aug 9, 2004
This. And last game it was suggested to trade Martin by a number of folk. :shakehead. We need more guys to play physically.

It's just about the mindset of the team. They have some sort of inferiority complex, they are afraid of contact. I can not understand why cappy has not told everyone to take the body. I mean jeez bailey if you cant score for 2 months how about checking someone into the boards occasionally? you too grabner, regin, mcdonald, even you nelson. checking people gets you INTO the game, raises your adrenaline and gives you confidence to play! something, you know, we're sort of lacking.

oh, and cappy sucks. how snow can say its not the coach baffles me...seems to me grabner and bailey, two "CORE" players, have done squat...boy what a great relationship he has with them...he can really motivate them to...do.....nothing. :help::help::help:

GrandmaSlices51631

Dec 12, 2013
Long Beach
Aaron Ness is awful. He's so bad he can't skate backwards. Watch him when he's taking on the rush he stands straight up, points around, and falls down. He's so garbage.

Hate to put a magnifying glass over the teams flaws, but I have to agree with this comment. Couldn't help but notice how sloppy his game has been. It was humiliating for me to watch, he must be aware of it. I've seen him juggle the puck to many times and in an attempt to clear, give the puck to the opponent in our Defensive zone. Not scapegoating, as hes not the only whose been doing this recently but c'mon Aaron, step it up and check your surroundings.

stranger34

Mar 6, 2007
Nassau County
I haven't really thought about it but perhaps Mark Streit was more important in the locker room? Who knows why these guys have been this bad but one of the few guys that was on the team last year (Captain) and is not on the team this year.

I've made this point about losing streit and moulson in tandem before. Say what you will about their on ice flaws but they were two veteran leaders who were jettisoned for wanting a raise. As anyone can tell you losing key contributors from a job because they want to get fairly paid and can't from your current office does not create a good atmosphere.

NineHoleGoal

Jul 7, 2011
It's just about the mindset of the team. They have some sort of inferiority complex, they are afraid of contact. I can not understand why cappy has not told everyone to take the body. I mean jeez bailey if you cant score for 2 months how about checking someone into the boards occasionally? you too grabner, regin, mcdonald, even you nelson. checking people gets you INTO the game, raises your adrenaline and gives you confidence to play! something, you know, we're sort of lacking.

oh, and cappy sucks. how snow can say its not the coach baffles me...seems to me grabner and bailey, two "CORE" players, have done squat...boy what a great relationship he has with them...he can really motivate them to...do.....nothing. :help::help::help:

I just posted the exact same thing on the Bailey Vs. Grabner thread. Playing physical will absolutely help them gain much needed confidence and raise their entire game. Maybe that's the key to Boulton's success. He plays physical and goes to the dirty areas. What a novel concept! :handclap:

MiscBrah

Mar 16, 2012

unfortunately, he'll get hurt if he tries to hit someone. Although at this point it probably wouldn't be a bad thing. At least some other guys would get to take his place, some guys that actually belong in the NHL.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad