GDT: #33| New York Islanders @ Phoenix Coyotes | December 12th | 9:00pm | F/L 6-3

And You Feel Shame

Jul 31, 2007
headers_131212.jpg

TV: MSG PLUS

Last 10: New York 1-7-2, Phoenix 4-4-2

Season Series: It seems like a long time ago considering how things have gone for them since, but the New York Islanders won the opener of this home-and-home against the Phoenix Coyotes convincingly, 6-1 at Nassau Coliseum on Oct. 8. Three Islanders (Josh Bailey, Michael Grabner and Frans Nielsen) had three-point games that night. John Tavares had two goals.

Big Story: The Islanders finally won one. It was a good one too, coming back from 2-0 down after two periods to pull out a 3-2 shootout win against a San Jose Sharks team that was 16-1-1 when leading after two. The Coyotes return home fresh off a 2-1-1 road trip capped off by a healthy 3-1 win against the Colorado Avalanche on Tuesday.

s_cover.jpg

Team Scope

Islanders: The win Tuesday at SAP Center was somewhat reminiscent of last season's drive to the Stanley Cup Playoffs, rallying from two goals down and getting tremendous goaltending from Kevin Poulin (46 saves) they've lacked all season.

Change is coming too; 2011 first-round draft pick (No. 5) Ryan Strome is joining the Islanders and could offer some punch to one of the Isles' secondary lines. Strome leads the American Hockey League with 33 points (nine goals, 24 assists) in 23 games for the Bridgeport Sound Tigers.

"It was a great phone call to get and I will remember it forever," Strome told the team website Wednesday. "At the same time there is a lot of work to be done, and I don't want to just come up for a cup of coffee. I want to show that I belong, help the team win and prove my spot in the line-up. I want to show them that I'm ready to come up and they made the right choice."

Coyotes: Even though goalies Mike Smith and Thomas Greiss have solid records against the Avalanche, it was still important that the Coyotes remained on top of their game against their division rivals. With Smith feeling ill Tuesday morning, Greiss had to slot in on short notice and he was up to the task, stopping 30 shots in the 3-1 win against the Avalanche.

"He's earned the trust of his teammates, and yesterday morning when we found out (Smith) wasn't going to be able to play, nobody missed a beat," coach Dave Tippett told the team website Wednesday."“That speaks volumes right there, that he jumps in and he played as well as he did."

Who's hot: Tavares has picked up the pace again, with four points in his past two games after being held without a point in the previous two. Kyle Okposo had a goal and an assist Tuesday, while Thomas Vanek scored in his second straight game. … Coyotes forward Antoine Vermette had two goals Tuesday and extended his point streak to four games. Center Mike Ribeiro has points in four of his past five. \

Injury report: Islanders defenseman Brian Strait (upper body) and goalie Evgeni Nabokov (groin) are due back soon, but defenseman Lubomir Visnovsky (concussion) remains out with no timetable for a return. … Smith practiced Wednesday, but Tippett held off on announcing a starter in goal. Captain Shane Doan (illness) hasn't played since Dec. 4 and is doubtful for Thursday. Defenseman Derek Morris remains questionable while he deals with a personal matter that caused him to miss the game on Tuesday. Lauri Korpikoski (upper body) remains out indefinitely.

Jason+LaBarbera+Phoenix+Coyotes+v+New+York+Q-nBQ4BWUKJl.jpg

SI90

Jul 25, 2011
StrongIsland
I think the superman reference is appropriate...Because like superman Strome will be watching the action from the sky(pressbox)

Seriously I hope every one realizes he a 20 year old kid and to not expect too much right away...

IMO though he would make the PP so much better....

I loved Tavares in the High slot on the PP the other night...

also would expect Poulin to get the nod...

we really need a legit #1 netminder...Isnt it amazing what good goaltending can do? it can steal games like the other night....

Poulin played the game of his life and its unfair to expect that everynight but the teams with Starting goalies set in stone get these kind of performances often...

Bunk Moreland

Mar 16, 2010
Long Island
Awesome job.

I'm supposed to work a double tonight but I'm gonna try and wiggle out of it catch the kids first game. It almost makes me forget the season we're having seeing such promise make its debut.

BillD

Feb 12, 2004
I have no idea how Cappy will use Strome.....what line, which linemates, number of shifts/minutes. He is as bluechip a prospect as we have right now, but Cappy has record of not using or limiting minutes for prospects. He was forced to use deHaan and has now given him big minutes, so we will see.
If he plays, at the end of the game I would like to say that he did not look out of place, or overmatched. That would be a great debut. Anything else, such as getting in on scoring, is setting unneccessary expectations. The kid will be told to skate his wing, watch his check, and come back hard. If he keeps it simple there is a decent chance he might find himself in a position to display his ability.

Riseonfire

Josh Bailey! GAME ONE, TO THE ISLAND!!!
Nov 8, 2009
^^ Slim to none. He should be skating with the team today and will almost certainly play tonight. I see him centering the 3rd line with Grabner and Cmack or something like that.

enigmatic

Fire me please
Jul 7, 2009
nyc
crazy that 17-8-5 is 5th in the pacific!! they would have essentially clinched a playoff spot in the metro!

Tom Polakis

Next expansion
Nov 24, 2008
Tempe, AZ
Yotes fan here. Looking forward to seeing Strome's first game.

I just posted in our GDT that I saw Doug Weight put up his 1000th point last time I saw the Islanders play here. The big reaction from the crowd was a pleasant surprise.

http://espn.go.com/nhl/recap?gameId=290102024

GLENDALE, Ariz. -- Doug Weight earned the admiration of his teammates -- and opponents -- with a milestone pass.

Weight's second assist Friday night made him the eighth American-born player to reach the 1,000 points, but the New York Islanders lost 5-4 to the Phoenix Coyotes.

"It was unbelievable for the team to stand up and give me a hand and the crowd, too," Weight said. "The U.S. has a lot of U.S. hockey fans and me being an American it's nice to do it on this soil. It was a very nice hand I got and I appreciate it."

Weight, whose wife is from Phoenix, reached the mark in front of about 30 friends and family members.

rikker

Jun 6, 2003
Visit site
i think we have a good chance.

playing against big teams is a challenge, but i don't see the Yotes or Sharks as mean teams, like the Bruins, or Kings.

Yotes just getting home from a road trip. hopefully, they all stayed up the entire night, sexing up their women.

Riseonfire

Josh Bailey! GAME ONE, TO THE ISLAND!!!
Nov 8, 2009
Staple - Martinek goes on IR (Back), Strait comes off IR. Strait will play tonight!

Bunk Moreland

Mar 16, 2010
Long Island
I'm hoping he was banged up before even being placed on IR and that's why he wasn't playing too well. Hopefully he's 100% and good to go.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad