Post-Game Talk: #33 | Kings 4 at FLYERS 1 | Mon., Dec. 18, 7:00 pm ET

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
There's no combination that works, and the smurfs are a big problem because they're liabilities in the D-zone, and Leier, Konecny and Weal can't win board battles.
Teams clog the middle of the ice, then beat up the smurfs along the boards.
We only have a half dozen skilled players right now, G, Couts, V, Ghost, Provorov, Sanheim.
Unfortunately, we have to play 12 others. At least Raffl and Laughton can forecheck, Hagg and Gudas can hit people, Simmonds can go to the net.

They need more talent.
Every one of the guys I listed are at least as big of liabilities as the smurfs. Size means nothing if you're mentally challenged and completely devoid of skill.

And there's definitely combinations that could work, but we won't know since Hakstol is determined to do as much harm as possible by putting each good player with a horrible player. Or, if that's not possible, playing the good players together and giving them scrap time.

He's more to blame for this season than anyone else.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
No, Hextall is more to blame for this season than anyone else. This is his plan.
Hextall replaced Mason with Elliott.
Hextall traded Schenn for two draft picks and replaced him with a center who's not NHL ready right now (Patrick).
Hextall did not add a single player this summer. No free agents, no trades of mid-round draft picks for 3rd line fowards.
Hextall kept Lindblom, Morin, and MV in the AHL this year.

Was he wrong? If competing for the playoffs in 2017-18 was the goal, yes. If continuing to build the asset base for a run two years from now was the goal, no.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
Welp didn't know about Neuvirth's injury, that makes sense. Gosh I feel like he's always out injured, is he injury prone or am I imagining it lol?

You're not imagining it. He gets injured even when he isn't playing games. I'm serious. It's ridiculous. I think he gets traded this summer because of it.

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
Welp didn't know about Neuvirth's injury, that makes sense. Gosh I feel like he's always out injured, is he injury prone or am I imagining it lol?
You're definitely not imagining it, that's our biggest complaint about him. The guy is made of glass, so even when he's looking great there could be a strong breeze that takes him out for a few weeks.

Little Psycho

I solemnly swear I'm up to no good
Feb 4, 2007
Non-Yah
Neuvirth in czech translates to mr. glass
You're definitely not imagining it, that's our biggest complaint about him. The guy is made of glass, so even when he's looking great there could be a strong breeze that takes him out for a few weeks.
You're not imagining it. He gets injured even when he isn't playing games. I'm serious. It's ridiculous. I think he gets traded this summer because of it.

Yikes! And I thought Gaborik had a bad injury history. Goalies are very vital to the teams success, without a consistent number 1 goalie the team can't go far. I'm just cringing thinking about 2 years ago when Budaj had to be our #1, he was good at times but he also let in some back breakers. Didn't help he also burned out towards the ends.

Seems like a goalie is main priority for the Flyers in the offseason.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
We may have the best goalie prospect in junior hockey in Hart.
And some other young goalies in the pipeline.

Reactions: Kylo Ren

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
Yikes! And I thought Gaborik had a bad injury history. Goalies are very vital to the teams success, without a consistent number 1 goalie the team can't go far. I'm just cringing thinking about 2 years ago when Budaj had to be our #1, he was good at times but he also let in some back breakers. Didn't help he also burned out towards the ends.

Luckily we have Hart, like deadhead said, who is looking amazing so far, and a couple other goaltending prospects who have potential. Unfortunately, Sandstrom and Stolarz are injured right now. We also have Lyon who is currently our backup and was pretty good last year in the AHL.

BrindamoursNose

Oct 14, 2008
Luckily we have Hart, like deadhead said, who is looking amazing so far, and a couple other goaltending prospects who have potential. Unfortunately, Sandstrom and Stolarz are injured right now. We also have Lyon who is currently our backup and was pretty good last year in the AHL.

Poor Tomek :(

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014

Brian Elliott has given us league-average goaltending which is fine for now until Carter Hart (or Felix Sandstrom) are NHL ready. They aren't going to sign a UFA goalie to a long-term contract that will impede one of their goaltending prospects.

Reactions: wufuhimself

Magua

Entirely Palatable Product
Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes
UND screwed the Flyers and then screwed Tomek.

I hate that school. First and only college hockey team I actively root against. Apologies to any alum. But really you should’ve chosen a different school, so when you think about it, you should apologize to us.

That Green Goblin room is the entrance to Hell.

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
Lol nice stealth edit. I was thiiiiis close to mentioning your boy. So I’ll just mention Hagg.

dsnt.gif

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
Well if that's true then forget what my dumb ass says.

I just personally forget about him sometimes because it's rare to hear news about him and I don't watch his games.

You never know with goalies but he isn’t exactly trending in a postive way since being drafted. Even after two essentially wasted seasons at North Dakota he’s splitting starts with his USHL team right now.

Reactions: Striiker

BrindamoursNose

Oct 14, 2008
Well if that's true then forget what my dumb ass says.

I just personally forget about him sometimes because it's rare to hear news about him and I don't watch his games.

Oh no, I mean he WAS up there...he's definitely fallen out of that bracket in the past year. Real shame :(

Reactions: Striiker

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad