Post-Game Talk: #33 | Kings 4 at FLYERS 1 | Mon., Dec. 18, 7:00 pm ET

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
Hakstol doesn’t seem even communicate with his players when he benches or healthy scratches them. Communication just doesn’t seem to be his thing at all. With that said I think he’s a terrible coach but not showing any emotion behind the bench really doesn’t bother me much.

This was once again validated by a young player when Martel said "I didn't get to talk to Hakstol" during his brief stint.

Cousins and Konecny said something along the same lines last year and we all know the great Ghost debacle.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
Simmonds killing the line.

Konecny should be flanking Couturier on that line on the Right.

What do I have to do to see these lines?! Who do I have to kill?

28-14-11
12-51-93
40-19-17
20-21-22

With Patrick and Flip eventually swapping places later in the season or next season.

Reactions: Striiker and Tripod

gto64dr

Jan 15, 2012
I don't see this as a huge personnel issue as I do more of a coaching problem. We have some players in the minors and positional moves we can make with the lines. What we don't have is a coach with an ability to control the nuances that need to be done during the game. For example: when Buffalo was a powerhouse and their goalie was Hasek, the Flyers found a way to game him, rubbing him and chattering him during the game threw him off. In last night's game Elliot was bumped and knocked down several times while Quick was completely left in comfort. The game was a difficult one for Elliot and maybe we would have lost anyway but Quick's life was way to easy. Also The amount of nuanced interference By LA Was Constant And effective. Hak Just Doesn't have any tricks up his sleeves. He Is Lacking Emotion And Gamesmanship

Reactions: Flyerfan4life

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
I don't see this as a huge personnel issue as I do more of a coaching problem. We have some players in the minors and positional moves we can make with the lines. What we don't have is a coach with an ability to control the nuances that need to be done during the game. For example: when Buffalo was a powerhouse and their goalie was Hasek, the Flyers found a way to game him, rubbing him and chattering him during the game threw him off. In last night's game Elliot was bumped and knocked down several times while Quick was completely left in comfort. The game was a difficult one for Elliot and maybe we would have lost anyway but Quick's life was way to easy. Also The amount of nuanced interference By LA Was Constant And effective. Hak Just Doesn't have any tricks up his sleeves. He Is Lacking Emotion And Gamesmanship

We don't have the players to do that. Other than Simmonds, who has the size and attitude to live in the crease and harass a goalie?

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
I was on the fence about that until the Predators debacle earlier in the season when he said in his post-game presser that he was given no explanation by the refs on why they deemed the play onside. They didn't even come over to the bench to discuss it with him. Just made the call and pretended he didn't exist..because he barely does.
Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm.... that's weird.......................

You mean people don't like it when they get punished for something but then get ZERO explanation from the person doing it to them???

well well well well well well well well, isn't that interesting...

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Weal wasn't bothering the goalie, he was hanging around the net area, about 10'-15' away and being opportunistic.
This season, not so much.

Hextall is well aware of the flaws on this team, look at his draft picks, no smurfs,
fast/quick offensive guys who project to being just below average size - Frost, Rubtsov, Laczynski, Laberge, Kase, Marody, Sushko, Lycksell, Salinitri
bigger guys who play physical, two way games - Lindblom, Vorobyev, NAK, Twarynski
and "jolly green giants" - Myers, Allison, Ratcliffe, Bunnaman, Strome

The guys with offensive upside equal the total of the "grinders" and "giants", but no 5'8 170 lb types here.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Couturier doesn't do it on a regular basis, nor should he, he's also the most defensively responsible forward, so it's a tradeoff, if he's hanging around the net, he's not in position to break up plays going the other way.

Raffl tries to set screens, but he's not huge and can be moved.

The hands to finish are nice, but there's just something to be said for a 6'3 220 lb forward with a bad attitude hanging around the crease, pissing off goalies and creating a traffic jam in front of the goalie when a defenseman tries to move him.

Something tells me we're gonna really like Allison and Bunnaman, and even Strome (if he ever skates well enough for a PP/4th line role).
In a couple years, we'll have enough size that those nasty Western Conference teams won't kick sand in our face anymore. :naughty:

Appleyard

Mar 5, 2010
Copenhagen
twitter.com
Weal wasn't bothering the goalie, he was hanging around the net area, about 10'-15' away and being opportunistic.

Hextall is well aware of the flaws on this team, look at his draft picks, no smurfs,
fast/quick offensive guys who project to being just below average size - Frost, Rubtsov, Laczynski, Laberge, Kase, Marody, Sushko, Lycksell, Salinitri
bigger guys who play physical, two way games - Lindblom, Vorobyev, NAK, Twarynski

The guys with offensive upside equal the total of the "grinders" and "giants", but no 5'8 170 lb types here.

Also, I would not exactly say that Rubtsov, Laczymski and Marody are below average size... the average NHL forward is 6'0.7 and 199lbs.

Rubtsov: 6'1, 190lbs
Laczynski: 6'1, 192lbs
Marody: 6'0, 190lbs

They will all be right around or just above average when/if they hit the NHL.

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania

The problem with the current roster isn't the "smurfs". None of the garbage are small.

Hagg - 6'2'' 204
Weise - 6'2'' 206
MacDonald - 6'1'' 204
Manning - 6'1'' 205
Filppula - 6'0'' 196
Lehtera - 6'2'' 212

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Average D-man 6'2 205, forward 6'1 199

MacDonald was listed in camp at 190, and that's what he looks like.
Lehtera doesn't play.
The rest are average size, Weise being a tad above average.
So it's not like the slower, less skilled guys can compensate by providing a physical dimension, outside of Hagg (who was 210 in TC).

And yes, the smurfs are a problem, because outside of Giroux and Ghost, they aren't exceptional offensive players. You are what you do, not your potential.
And the full sized guys aren't very physical, Voracek may be the biggest player on the team, and he doesn't play a physical game, neither does Couts.

The only players who I'd consider "physical" are Gudas, Hagg and Simmonds.
If they were a fast team, that could compensate, but this team at best is no more than a tad faster than the NHL average.

Help is on the way, but the current team has mediocre talent, below average size, average speed and skill, however you slice and dice it.
However, just adding Morin, Lindblom, Vorobyev, NAK and MV, would make this team bigger and more skilled.

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
Average D-man 6'2 205, forward 6'1 199

MacDonald was listed in camp at 190, and that's what he looks like.
Lehtera doesn't play.
The rest are average size, Weise being a tad above average.
So it's not like the slower, less skilled guys can compensate by providing a physical dimension, outside of Hagg (who was 210 in TC).

And yes, the smurfs are a problem, because outside of Giroux and Ghost, they aren't exceptional offensive players. You are what you do, not your potential.
And the full sized guys aren't very physical, Voracek may be the biggest player on the team, and he doesn't play a physical game, neither does Couts.

The only players who I'd consider "physical" are Gudas, Hagg and Simmonds.
If they were a fast team, that could compensate, but this team at best is no more than a tad faster than the NHL average.

Help is on the way, but the current team has mediocre talent, below average size, average speed and skill, however you slice and dice it.
However, just adding Morin, Lindblom, Vorobyev, NAK and MV, would make this team bigger and more skilled.

Yeah, and they're right there, within a few pounds or even over the average. Clearly not "smurfs", which means that the problem are normal sized guys.

Also, Lehtera's played more than half the games.

The "smurfs" on the team aren't even close to the problem. All of them are clearly performing FAR better than the normal sized garbage I listed. I don't even mean potential, I mean current play.

Hakstol is responsible for a lot of the teams problems, so the blames on him as much as, or more than, anyone else. He's the one taking a flawed roster and making it worse than it needs to be.

Reactions: Flyerfan4life

Little Psycho

I solemnly swear I'm up to no good
Feb 4, 2007
Non-Yah
Elliot had a horrible game. Had a lot of holes. That while quick was his usual awesome self means we never had a chance. I’d love to have a good goalie for once. Can’t even imagine what it’s like.

I’d move simmer to the bottom 6 and move a player up. Patrick needs to step it up so we can switch him and filp. Filp is not a 2C but with G at LW, whose left?

Kings fan here. I'm surprised he got the start since the Kings have done very well against him since the 4-0 win against St. Louis.

Harhis

Oct 30, 2017
Finland
The problem with the current roster isn't the "smurfs". None of the garbage are small.

Hagg - 6'2'' 204
Weise - 6'2'' 206
MacDonald - 6'1'' 204
Manning - 6'1'' 205
Filppula - 6'0'' 196
Lehtera - 6'2'' 212

About Filppula, even if his playing at .5 p/g this season he has been really f***ing bad. Last night I can't remember him making one single good play. Even Voracek can't make him look like solid C.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
Kings fan here. I'm surprised he got the start since the Kings have done very well against him since the 4-0 win against St. Louis.

Elliott had allowed just 9 goals over his previous 6 starts, all wins, and our backup Neuvirth is injured. He was the only logical choice to start.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Yeah, and they're right there, within a few pounds or even over the average. Clearly not "smurfs", which means that the problem are normal sized guys.

Also, Lehtera's played more than half the games.

The "smurfs" on the team aren't even close to the problem. All of them are clearly performing FAR better than the normal sized garbage I listed. I don't even mean potential, I mean current play.

Hakstol is responsible for a lot of the teams problems, so the blames on him as much as, or more than, anyone else. He's the one taking a flawed roster and making it worse than it needs to be.

There's no combination that works, and the smurfs are a big problem because they're liabilities in the D-zone, and Leier, Konecny and Weal can't win board battles.
Teams clog the middle of the ice, then beat up the smurfs along the boards.
We only have a half dozen skilled players right now, G, Couts, V, Ghost, Provorov, Sanheim.
Unfortunately, we have to play 12 others. At least Raffl and Laughton can forecheck, Hagg and Gudas can hit people, Simmonds can go to the net.

They need more talent.

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
About Filppula, even if his playing at .5 p/g this season he has been really ****ing bad. Last night I can't remember him making one single good play. Even Voracek can't make him look like solid C.
Yeah, his points are really surprising based on how he's been playing.

He's the exact opposite of pre-2017 Couturier, who made all teammates around him better and played really smart hockey, despite it not being reflected on the score sheet.

Filppula is stupid, makes his linemates worse, but somehow picks up points.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad