32 year old lupul to disappear like robidas/no buyout

Antropovsky

Jun 2, 2007
The way people talk about the guy is embarrassing. End of story. Show some bloody class.

Care to elaborate?

i don't know what your talking about in terms of people not showing class maybe because I only skim over the posts that I don't think contribute... But if you're saying .. say hey this guy does things for kids therefore we should all be greatful of him being on our team...than of course I think your crazy.

Babcocks Marner

It's a magical time
Mar 3, 2015
Toronto
Still figuring out this LTIR.....

So say we have 2mil in cap on July 1st (after signing some).........

Can we then activate Horton and Robida for +8mil and try to sign Stamkos at 10? As long as we can dump that 8 mil in UFAs/Cap by the end of the year?

Suntouchable13

Dec 20, 2003
Toronto, ON
Still figuring out this LTIR.....

So say we have 2mil in cap on July 1st (after signing some).........

Can we then activate Horton and Robida for +8mil and try to sign Stamkos at 10? As long as we can dump that 8 mil in UFAs/Cap by the end of the year?

I don't think there is LTIR in the off season. Robidas and Horton will fully count against the cap in the summer.

Leaf of the Mind

BABS WAS BOB
Feb 6, 2015
If, and it's a big If, Babcock can't use him or has seen an unwillingness from him to put in work than keep him the hell away from this team. The last thing we need is someone like Nylander or Marner being exposed to an entitled or self-preserving grumbler. That's the beginning of Oileritis, and once that spreads no coach alive can cure it.
Again, I say that "if", we will all see 100% if he comes into camp if it is true or not. If he does it's likely only to raise his value to be moved. He's handsome and does a lot for charity so I guess some people take it personal but either way he is not a part of this team going forward long-term.

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
I don't think there is LTIR in the off season. Robidas and Horton will fully count against the cap in the summer.
If a team wanted to they can even be over the cap during the offseason, as long as they get under it by the start of next season. That's when Horton, Robidas and maybe even Lupul would be placed back on LTIR.

Babcocks Marner

It's a magical time
Mar 3, 2015
Toronto

Gotcha.

So where is the value in a LTIR? It seems impossible to call up 8mil worth of contracts. Or with Lupul, maybe 13mil in contracts.

Sorry, I am such an amateur when it comes to the new CBA.

Sniper99

Jan 12, 2011
Edmonton
hate lupul all u want but he can still be a 15-20 goal 15-20 assist per 82 game 3rd or 4th line player

even this year he played with no skilled players and was still on pace for about 20 goals if healthy

Sure he can if we wrap him up in bubble wrap from head to toe so when he gets hit or falls he wont feel anything.

Henchmen 21

Jul 4, 2011
Toronto
He is such a tabloid rip artist he should not be called sports reporter.

He is just one of those greasy guys you'd expect to see belittling a waitress because he didn't get seated quick enough.

His sort of reporting is the type of poison that we don't need on TSN.

I'm not saying Lupul's a humanitarian or anything, but just last december, my step-sister's ten year old cousin scored his first peewee goal, they went out that night to celebrate over dinner. Joffrey happened to be there and signed the kids peewee jersey, (which he was still wearing), Lupul reminisced to him about his first Peewee goal, and basically gave the kid the day of his life.

I've never found anything bad in Lupul's game, but I do remember the Toronto Sun defending a certain beefsteak tomato former mayor, quite strongly. Honestly i give a member of the maple leafs the benefit of the doubt over some Sun reporter.

And Lou's way too classy to give someone the lecavalier treatment, he'd just invite joff to his office every couple weeks like he does with JVR.

Kamiccolo

Truly wonderful, the mind of a child is.
Aug 30, 2011
Undisclosed research facility
Gotcha.

So where is the value in a LTIR? It seems impossible to call up 8mil worth of contracts. Or with Lupul, maybe 13mil in contracts.

Sorry, I am such an amateur when it comes to the new CBA.

If we're a good team we can trade for UFA contracts to help us make the playoffs. We can't endorse a losing culture, and can't pick high forever. If we're bad, then don't try to get better, but if we're good, getting a round of playoff experience for Nylander, Marner, Rielly, and all our other future is very valuable experience, and gives them a taste of success as a team in Toronto.

Next year if we're a bubble team (in the top half, so the top wildcard seed - 6th in the east, then moving one of our 2nds for maybe a top 4 D to help us down the stretch is a move I make.

keon

Nov 9, 2002
Visit site
Last edited:

Dirty Dan

Saturday Night Lupul
May 5, 2010
in ur crease
He has a bad back and it must be hard. That's why hes scared to go all out because he could really mess up his back again. Just play him on the 3rd/4th line we have nothing to lose. Helps the tank next year and he can put up some points

I miss the Kessel Lupul connection of 2011, before the first of many 18 wheeler :(

Last edited:

indigobuffalo

Portage and Main
Feb 10, 2011
Winnipeg MB
I can't see the league being happy with this - especially if Lupul can prove that he's healthy.

Also, it'd be pretty poor treatment of a good soldier, who, while injury played is still a useful player when healthy.

Lamoriello: "Lupul, it's an unfortunate set of circumstances. It's nobody's fault. But we're willing to keep paying you the entire contract, and you don't have to work for it.

"Or we could buy you out and you get 2/3rds of what you're owed.

"It's your call."

*armed thug ***** back the hammer*

Lupul: "Of course I'll take the money Lou. Thank you for showing compassion. You are an honourable man."

Snow Dog

Victorious
Jan 3, 2013
GTA
Care to elaborate?

i don't know what your talking about in terms of people not showing class maybe because I only skim over the posts that I don't think contribute... But if you're saying .. say hey this guy does things for kids therefore we should all be greatful of him being on our team...than of course I think your crazy.

The guy's right that you quoted.Lupul has been playing hurt for years and done what he has been capable of.
He means YOU have no class by writing disrespectfull comments about a player because he gets hurt.No class whatsoever.

Crazy Monkey

Aug 9, 2009
Seriously..... the way some of you talk about, and act towards a person, simply because he plays for and cashes a cheque from your favourite team (that you have no other affiliation to aside from choosing to like them) absolutely ****ing baffles me.

This is a human being. A good one. A nice guy who does work in his community for kids. Some of you need a measure of ****ing perspective.

Embarrassments, the half of you.

Not sure how you can be certain about this unless you know the guy personally. His public image and who he is may be completely separate, similar to how people who go to church are not necessarily "good" or "better" people (just an example). What other people have said about him is equally as baseless as your judgement

The long and the short- the guy is a skilled hockey player who is always injured. Not part of the long term plan and won't be a part of any of our future success

UllmansTiger

May 27, 2012
5+ million for a one dimensional, 30 point player, who completely lacks any work ethic,. Yea I'd say he's pretty untradeable.

Uh, yeah, that's complete bs. He may be a diminished player, he may be untradeable going forward but that highlighted part is nonsense.

Jyrki Lumme

Generational User
Mar 5, 2014
I hope it doesn't become common for this to happen. They league needs to hold firm on this and only allow players who have legit reasons to be put on LTIR for the rest of their careers. See: Nathan Horton

paulhiggins

Feb 4, 2006
Good thing Leafs have lots of money because I can see their medical insurance going up next year.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad