32 year old lupul to disappear like robidas/no buyout

Antropovsky

Jun 2, 2007
Not at all smart. The more this happens, the less the league can turn a blind eye to it.

Lou's already lost a 1st round pick for cap circumvention.

Not true, he appealed, and eventually won...didn't have to give up the 1st in 2014.

Gallagbi

Formerly Eazy_B97
Jul 5, 2005
Didn't Lou pull these kinds of moves in New Jersey with guys like Alexander Mogilny and Vladimir Malakhov? These disappearing acts are tried and true tactics.
He had to move Malakhov which cost him a first, but he made Almo disappear.

Antropovsky

Jun 2, 2007
I like Lou, he's ruthless, even with Brodeur... they ended on bad terms momentarily/but appear to have patched things up.

Finnish your Czech

J'aime Les offres hostiles
Nov 25, 2009
Toronto
Just play him. Who knows, maybe he'll actually produce next year. It's not like the Leafs will be getting any useful cap savings by putting Lupul on IR. They still have to be below 1.1x the salary cap in the off season, and will certainly have Robidas and Horton on LTIR next season.

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
It wouldn't shock me if they put him on LTIR at all... especially depending on how the operation goes. He was a decent player there for us, at least until all of these injuries took their toll.

Suntouchable13

Dec 20, 2003
Toronto, ON
Just play him. Who knows, maybe he'll actually produce next year. It's not like the Leafs will be getting any useful cap savings by putting Lupul on IR. They still have to be below 1.1x the salary cap in the off season, and will certainly have Robidas and Horton on LTIR next season.

He is a waste. We'd be better off playing a prospect in his place. He is not even a mentor to anybody the way he plays the game.

KPower

Jan 17, 2012
He was a real good player when he was healthy a few years ago.

Too bad about his injuries and the fact he cared more about his hair than hockey.

Marmoset

Apr 4, 2015
GTA
What are the Leafs options if Lupul shows up for camp, is healthy, and wants to play?

Robidas is a player who looked like he was done. Lupul I'm not so sure about. We have seen how well he can play at times if he is healthy.

None of this matters if he is breaking down to the point where he can't contribute, but if the player wants to play and the team won't let him, the player can make this a messy situation if he doesn't want to go quietly. And I wouldn't blame him. Of course, the Leafs could then send him to the Marlies (if he doesn't have a NMC - did our previous regime give him one?)

supermann_98

May 8, 2002
Visit site
You say this is concerning, but you fail to mention how exactly this is concerning as Leaf fans.

Lupul dissappearing next year like Robidas did this year is what I've been hoping for all season.

I'd put him on the Marlies and let him decide if this game of hockey is actually what he really wants to do.

I think he's more about the hockey-celebrity lifestyle and banging insane amounts of 10's at home or on the road.

garce

Mar 20, 2010
Too close to Ottawa and Montreal
Lupul isn't the kind of guy to disappear. If Robidas is on a wink wink deal, and I have no idea if he is, that doesn't mean that Lou is some kind of magician who can sell that to Lupul. Lupuls a pretty free spirit type, I think, who would blow any collusion up in a second. No coaching his kids and then a job with benefits when the contract runs out.

Battle Lin

Dec 18, 2015
hate lupul all u want but he can still be a 15-20 goal 15-20 assist per 82 game 3rd or 4th line player

even this year he played with no skilled players and was still on pace for about 20 goals if healthy

Man Bear Pig

Aug 10, 2008
Earth
So lupul has a hernia and now Simmons, with no shred of evidence mind, believes that the Leafs will LTIR Lupul for two years. Because insurance companies don't employ doctors to see if claims are legitimate and neither does the NHL.
The same writer who made false claims about Kessel eating hot dogs on a daily basis and numerous other embarrassing articles that aren't even worth wiping your butt with. Simmons is a troll. Calling him a hack is disrespectful to hacks.

WilliamNylander

Papi's home
Jul 26, 2012
You say this is concerning, but you fail to mention how exactly this is concerning as Leaf fans.

Lupul dissappearing next year like Robidas did this year is what I've been hoping for all season.

I'd put him on the Marlies and let him decide if this game of hockey is actually what he really wants to do.

I think he's more about the hockey-celebrity lifestyle and banging insane amounts of 10's at home or on the road.

Me too...Maybe they offer him the same ultimatum as Robidas where you keep your pride and stay away for a year or you can ride the bus with the Marlies and honor your contract.

Either way, I don't see Lupul playing another game. We already have too many bodies and the Marlies need spots.

8816 others

Dec 3, 2012
Bowen Island, BC
There should be enough cap space to let him play out his contract or move him to a playoff team while eating a portion of his salary. Giving him the Robidas treatment seems wasteful and unnecessary.

cookie

Fresh From The Oven
Nov 24, 2009
Oven then stomach
hate lupul all u want but he can still be a 15-20 goal 15-20 assist per 82 game 3rd or 4th line player

even this year he played with no skilled players and was still on pace for about 20 goals if healthy

Can he? If you're a cap strapped team, on what basis do you sign him: his production pace or his 55 game seasons? He was a shell of his former self and has gone on record that he's changed his game because of how often he was getting hurt. Hard to get any value from a player like that.

Battle Lin

Dec 18, 2015
every team has horrible contracts on their rosters that dont give them enough production to justify their price...u just dont make a healthy player disappear when hes on contract in the nhl, what the leafs are some magically unique hockey team unlike all others and can do these crazy different things?

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
There is no way, that a player would just end up sitting, against their wishes. It would end up with the NHLPA so fast, your head would spin off.

But, if the team came to the player, and talked with them... here are your options... you are going to be bought out, or if your combined injuries are sufficient that you can no longer play to your ability, we can LTIR you.

So for Lupul, his buyout would be $6,000,000

If you LTIR him, he gets $10,500,000

If Lupul, after his hernia surgery, doesn't feel he can play good enough, and earn another $4,500,000, than it is highly probable he'd prefer the LTIR route.

It is probable that Robidas is in the same boat...

Ultimately, if a player is marginal as to whether they can play at the NHL level again, to their ability, it is highly likely they would prefer to take all of their cash, instead of a portion. Leaving $4,500,000 on the table is a pretty nice retirement fund.... that is, "if" this is even really being considered... and it's only being considered if his career is in jeopardy anyway.

Ovate

Dec 17, 2014
Toronto
So let them look into it.

What are they going to do? Force an injured player to lace up? :laugh:

The league can have independent doctors assess a player. If they find that there is nothing medically wrong with a player and they're being kept on IR, they can decide on a suitable punishment. If Lou gets caught circumventing the cap, it won't be just a slap on the wrist.

Slot

Mar 6, 2012
Aparently robidas has been on IR not LTIR for the entire season. No cap circumventing implications there.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad