32 year old lupul to disappear like robidas/no buyout

Damisoph

Jun 29, 2010
Steve Simmons is as much a sports reporter as Eklund is a hockey insider.

tmlms13

Apr 11, 2012
Waterloo, Ontario
considering the way we acquired Lupul in the first place, I think we've done well with his body of work over the years.

for those of you who forget, Anaheim forced us to take him as part of the Gardiner-Beauchemin trade.

Mckay

I find your lack of gravy disturbing.
Mar 5, 2014
Canada
considering the way we acquired Lupul in the first place, I think we've done well with his body of work over the years.

for those of you who forget, Anaheim forced us to take him as part of the Gardiner-Beauchemin trade.

Yup it really worked out for well for a few years. Unfortunetly, Dave Nonis signed him to a way too long contract extention, especially considering Lupul gives Mr. Glass a run for his money with regards to injuries.

deletethis

Mar 17, 2015
Toronto
I sort of get throwing darts at Simmons when he writes something about one of your favourite players. But also when he writes something most would want to see happen?

Faltorvo

Feb 18, 2008
Did Simmons just suggest that Lou and the rest of the leafs management team along with our Doctors are some how lying about injuries?

That this management is actually scamming the NHL?

Does Simmons have any measure of shame?

On second thought, no his kind never does.:shakehead

varano

Jun 27, 2013
god I hope not. Hes out more than he plays. I hope Lou will get rid of him in the offseason

No one will take that loser at 5 million and change.

He's one of those guys that is going to be a 1 million dollars player as a UFA, then he'll stink, then he will never be heard from again.

Hmmm Basically like David Booth

Doug Gilmour

Oct 5, 2010
He has a history of back injuries so that does favor us in the case of LTIR but if doctors clear him and he passes a physical then there is only 2 options, play or buyout.

I actually was talking about this the other day and it makes sense to buy him out over buying out Cowen especially if the goal is to make a run at Stamkos. By the time the buyout comes to an end, the ELCs for a few players will be due and the money will be available. Guys like Dermott and Marner. Nylander will be up this next year or the year after, I don't remember now.

Year Contract Salary Due Contract Cap Hit Buyout Cost Buyout Savings Buyout Cap Hit
2016-17 $5,250,000 $5,250,000 $1,500,000 $3,750,000 $1,500,000
2017-18 $3,750,000 $5,250,000 $1,500,000 $2,250,000 $3,000,000
2018-19 $0 $0 $1,500,000 -$1,500,000 $1,500,000
2019-20 $0 $0 $1,500,000 -$1,500,000 $1,500,000
Contract Years Remaining: 2
Contract Value Remaining: $9,000,000

I guess it all depends on what Lou and Shanahan decide to do with Stamkos.

Faltorvo

Feb 18, 2008

He's one of those guys that is going to be a 1 million dollars player as a UFA, then he'll stink, then he will never be heard from again.

Hmmm Basically like David Booth

IDK about that

booth actually showed that he had a measure of heart

Lupul just looks like he is in it for the pay check and bar play.

crump

~ ~ (ړײ) ~ ~
Feb 26, 2004
Ontariariario
Yup it really worked out for well for a few years. Unfortunetly, Dave Nonis signed him to a way too long contract extention, especially considering Lupul gives Mr. Glass a run for his money with regards to injuries.

images

ErnieLeafs

Apr 7, 2009
Seriously..... the way some of you talk about, and act towards a person, simply because he plays for and cashes a cheque from your favourite team (that you have no other affiliation to aside from choosing to like them) absolutely ****ing baffles me.

This is a human being. A good one. A nice guy who does work in his community for kids. Some of you need a measure of ****ing perspective.

Embarrassments, the half of you.

Mad Brills*

Honestly, if he's not hurt long term, just ride him out until next deadline then retain salary in a trade.

FazeLeaf*

Seriously..... the way some of you talk about, and act towards a person, simply because he plays for and cashes a cheque from your favourite team (that you have no other affiliation to aside from choosing to like them) absolutely ****ing baffles me.

This is a human being. A good one. A nice guy who does work in his community for kids. Some of you need a measure of ****ing perspective.

I hate him as a player but love him as a person.

deletethis

Mar 17, 2015
Toronto
If the loss of 1/3 of your money ($3M in Lupul's case) from being bought out exceeds what your player agent thinks you could earn as a free agent for the next two NHL seasons, you play along and collect your money. This is a little iffy. I could see another NHL organization taking a flyer on Lupul for a $1M or so. But this would entail Lupul getting his body beaten up further.

colchar

Apr 26, 2012

Loser? He is more successful than you will ever be. He is a better hockey player than you will ever be. He is richer than you will ever be. He bangs more quality tail than you ever will.

Yep, that guy is a real loser eh?

:shakehead

leafsfuture

Mar 30, 2008
Bigger question -- does Robidas come back AT ALL next year?

I mean he has to come for physicals, no? I seem to recall that for Horton, and Pronger during his days in Philly

Clark4Ever

What we do in hockey echoes in eternity...
Oct 10, 2010
T.O.
Lupul was one of our best forwards in the early part of the season. It's a shame that his body continues to betray him. He's one of my favorite Leafs from an otherwise unlikeable core group of the past few years.

htpwn

Nov 4, 2009
Toronto
I sincerely doubt it.

I don't think we have enough of a sample size to determine if Lupul's career is truly done. The guy's looked terrible much of this year, so it is certainly possible the injuries have finally caught up with him, but I think you have give him the chance to make the team next year. Quite frankly, I think he's going to want that chance.

The contract isn't as bad as it looks because he's injured so often. Even still, if we can get past next year, his salary drops to under $4 million. If the cap is going up again by that time, it's possible a team will take him to get to the salary floor. If not, a buyout at that stage would probably be worth it.

Of course, if Lupul is done (and he did suffer a hernia injury, which if I recall, was the injury he suffered in Anaheim that nearly ended his career), then just put him on IR and there will be no 'burying' involved. If the guy can't play, he can't play. It'll be more like the Horton situation than Robidas.

Antropovsky

Jun 2, 2007

So what... you don't have to be a hockey player to do things in the community. I do stuff in the community...I work a job too, and if I suck at it, and don't commit myself, my boss either fires me, or he loses his and his families livelihood.

Just because he does things in the community, doesn't make it ok to mail it in every game once you've signed a big fat contract. There are fans paying hundreds of dollars to watch you play, there are management staff whose careers depend on you putting in an honest day's work.

So I take it you think Babcock took his letter away because he thought that the kids in the community wouldn't be able to afford to have the A stitched on, so revoked it to make it more affordable to have a lupul jersey?

He revoked it, because lupul, is a poor role model and isn't someone he wants his youth to emulate.

Lupul is so bad, that the team would rather pay him 5 million to sit at home then have him around their dressing room/youth. Do you think it's a coincidence that Noone in team management has ever had anything to say about Joffrey? It's as if he's never been on the team at all, even before injuries. Phaneuf, kadri, even boyes and Winnik ... They are mentioned, but lupul has always been just swept under the rug.

Management made their decision on him a long time ago.

ErnieLeafs

Apr 7, 2009
So what... you don't have to be a hockey player to do things in the community. I do stuff in the community...I work a job too, and if I suck at it, and don't commit myself, my boss either fires me, or he loses his and his families livelihood.

Just because he does things in the community, doesn't make it ok to mail it in every game once you've signed a big fat contract. There are fans paying hundreds of dollars to watch you play, there are management staff whose careers depend on you putting in an honest day's work.

So I take it you think Babcock took his letter away because he thought that the kids in the community wouldn't be able to afford to have the A stitched on, so revoked it to make it more affordable to have a lupul jersey?

He revoked it, because lupul, is a poor role model and isn't someone he wants his youth to emulate.

Lupul is so bad, that the team would rather pay him 5 million to sit at home then have him around their dressing room/youth. Do you think it's a coincidence that Noone in team management has ever had anything to say about Joffrey? It's as if he's never been on the team at all, even before injuries. Phaneuf, kadri, even boyes and Winnik ... They are mentioned, but lupul has always been just swept under the rug.

Management made their decision on him a long time ago.

The way people talk about the guy is embarrassing. End of story. Show some bloody class.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
I just don't get the hate towards him as a player - even in down years he still produces to a degree.

His main issues are all injury related - which is something beyond the control of a player.

Yes I'd trade him now given that the Leafs are going into a rebuild - but I don't hate the man in the slightest.

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Besides this happening with Robidas I remember Lou did this same thing in New Jersey, however I would also be surprised if Lupul is ok with it. I think he is the type of person that wants to return when healthy and has done that after every other injury he has had over his career.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad